By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - X1 will never catch or match PS4 sales, it is a misfired product.

X1 doesn't have to outsell PS4 to be a successful machine. As long as MS are happy with Xbox then we will continue to have games and consoles In the future. X1 is the fastest selling Xbox in its history. Should we gamers care what console wins a sales race if all are successful? No. As long as the system isn't a flop like the Dreamcast there is nothing to worry about. X1 has sold the least amount of hardware this gen yet it has the most AAA games available and coming in 2014, again do Sales really matter? No. Wii beat the 360 and PS3 last gen hands down but did that effect the other consoles from 3rd party developers and games? again No.

Just play the games you love.

Around the Network

The OP tried to set up a trap for other users then fell into it himself. I'd advise others to avoid following him in...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Dark Chaos said:

Once Sony's gaming divison starts profiting I will agree. Until then we don't know for sure

You see, thats teh problem with what you have been saying. Sony's Game division "Playstation" is actually known t be its best performer. Consisntently. Even in 2011 when sony recorded a total $3B loss, its game divison that year made a profit of $400M+. And its always making a profit, with exception to last year which is normal cause its a transition year. Its really expensive jumpstarting a anew gen. Even in 2013 the playstation division made a profit. 

If your argument is if the playstation division is profitable? Then you will lose it heavily cause its generally more profitable than its not. And that is what makes this line of discussion irritating, cause the people that brings this up, unless really being obtuse, bring up sony's performance as a company in its entirety and use that to talk down its performcance as a console maker.

Dark Chaos said:
eva01beserk said:
Dark Chaos said:
Also, MS has reversed a lot of its policies. It took MS 6months to remove Kinect and drop the price and fix a lot of the weaknesses it has. 900p vs 1080p is negligent as we all have seen, its about games.

According to many of you here you guys must have expected that Titanfall PC shouldve outsold the Xbox One version based on graphics yet it didn't. The average Joe only cares about having fun and playing games.

No one expected that because pc games never sell well compared to consoles. because pc gamers just pirate the game.

You can't pirate a online shooter so your argument falls flat.

Thats probably true, but is that true to alother games? even if the truth was that pc gamers dont pirate games, sales for pc version of games are always insignificant compared to console games. even with current gen that only has like a 15 million installbase.  

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Intrinsic said:
Dark Chaos said:

Once Sony's gaming divison starts profiting I will agree. Until then we don't know for sure

You see, thats teh problem with what you have been saying. Sony's Game division "Playstation" is actually known t be its best performer. Consisntently. Even in 2011 when sony recorded a total $3B loss, its game divison that year made a profit of $400M+. And its always making a profit, with exception to last year which is normal cause its a transition year. Its really expensive jumpstarting a anew gen. Even in 2013 the playstation division made a profit. 

If your argument is if the playstation division is profitable? Then you will lose it heavily cause its generally more profitable than its not. And that is what makes this line of discussion irritating, cause the people that brings this up, unless really being obtuse, bring up sony's performance as a company in its entirety and use that to talk down its performcance as a console maker.

While I agree and still don't get why people consistently bring up the financial situation of Sony when discussing the PS4 outselling the XB1 I will never know. BUT I must point out the "playstation" division of Sony while performing good is not its best...if I am not mistaken it is like the 4th or 5th best(behind movies, music etc).

And the "profits" have nothing to do with the XB1 catching Sony this gen nor do they have anything to do with this thread. I agree with youI can't see any reason why it is brought up other than to move goal posts. 

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
Dark Chaos said:

The thread is not to discuss sales. The thread title assumes the PS4 will outsell the X1 and I agree, however I diasgree on it being a unsucessfull machine. Also, I'm talking about just their gaming divions. 

Okay that is understandable. But as of right now with everything going on I just can't see MS being happy with the way the XB1 has been performing LATELY. It got off to a great start  but as of now I am could not imagine they would be happy about cutting $100 off the machine and removing kinect which they had as the future of gaming and intergrated entertainment. I positive sales for the XB1 will pick up now that it is $100 dollars cheaper though. And in the long run time will tell how the XB1 turns out. 

With some very good exclusives and lots of 3rd party support behind i though I am sure it will be fine. 

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Intrinsic said:
Dark Chaos said:

What's outstanding was that the Playstation division only posted about a $79 million loss and part of that loss was due to SOE write-outs, not just because of the PS4 launch.

TheBlackNaruto said:
Dark Chaos said:

The thread is not to discuss sales. The thread title assumes the PS4 will outsell the X1 and I agree, however I diasgree on it being a unsucessfull machine. Also, I'm talking about just their gaming divions. 

Okay that is understandable. But as of right now with everything going on I just can't see MS being happy with the way the XB1 has been performing LATELY. It got off to a great start  but as of now I am could not imagine they would be happy about cutting $100 off the machine and removing kinect which they had as the future of gaming and intergrated entertainment. I positive sales for the XB1 will pick up now that it is $100 dollars cheaper though. And in the long run time will tell how the XB1 turns out. 

With some very good exclusives and lots of 3rd party support behind i though I am sure it will be fine. 

Yeah, XB1 has had a horrific 2014. Things are not going to their plan, and their Xbox business philosophy is shattered.

They planned on several tiers with the XB1. First, they would control all game sales, even 2nd-hand which they would limit and paywall. Then, they wanted a metered entertainment hub with Kinect and XBLG so that they got a piece of everything you did with games/music/tv/movies/apps. That's broken now. And of course, they and everyone else in the media thought they would easily coast to #1 in the US/UK, and grow the 360 userbase from respectable to major in Europe/Asia.

Instead of that, they are now in the danger zone in Europe (and most likely Asia/rest of 2nd-tier countries as well after launch, because anyone in non-official territories can easily buy an XB1 already through international suppliers, this is 2014 after all, not 1993). The danger zone they are in there is the negative feedback loop. Product sells poorly, word of mouth is poor, social groups of gamers overwhelmingly purchase the competing console, so stores carry less XB1 and do less Xbox marketing, which leads to even weaker sales. Hell, PS3 is leading XB1 in Europe now. And PS4 of course is curb stomping it through the crust of the earth with numbers like 6 to 1, 8 to 1, 12 to 1 depending on country/week.

In the US, thanks to the best supply in console release history and a core dedicated Xbox fanbase that would have happily spent $1k on an empty cardboard box that only contained a Don Mattrick greeting card that farted on you, their initial launch was INCREDIBLY good. After that, 2014 has all been a dismal affair. I very much doubt the $399 SKU will jump start them, it appears they got about a 48 hour bump, probably many buyers simply waited the previous month, so it sort of packed ~3 weeks of poor sales into one moderately decent week. After that, the charts everywhere have XB1 performing horribly again.

Again, the numbers in total are deceptive at best, because they all have that massive launch packed in. Go to the charts section here and look solely at 2014, and be amazed at the failure. They're in a state where even a 50, 75, 100% increase in sales won't be nearly enough to get them to where they would want to be in getting traction this gen. Gamers are social creatures in the 21st century, and the bigger the hole you find yourself in, the harder it is to get out of it. People are simply more likely to buy what the 'winning' console is. Add to that a decent portion of XB1 sales will be to multi-console owners, and that spells trouble for multiplat attachment rates overall (few reasons to buy the inferior versions of major releases like GTA games, Madden, COD, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Batman, Destiny, I could go on and on).

They butchered the $399 deal. They could have packed in a game and marketed it like mad starting at E3. But instead, they leaked the info early (with the bogus excuse that E3 simply had too much to show, which of course ended up being almost all CG trailers for 2015/2016 stuff and multiplats which will be worse on XB1, bah). That sent XB1 sales into a tailspin, and they didn't take the opportunity to really 're-launch' the XB1 @ $399 in a consise and confident manner. I feel they should have held a trump card for E3, kept the $399 SKU secret until then, and then began a massive campaign : Here's the new $399 XB1, complete with your choice of AAA title for free with the included coupon, and launching TODAY is (insert AAA title that they kept secret all the way up to release). Available NOW. They simply have a huge software drought until late fall into winter. Destiny is nearly a de-facto PS4 excusive for many reasons, and September is going to be ugly for Microsoft. Then Sunset Overdrive, one of their more promising titles, has been given the executioner's release date, in the middle of a series of AAA multiplats with huge marketing engines behind them. It will get trampled. Really Halo MCC is their sole chance to get some attention this holiday window, and I'm still pretty skeptical that it can break the barrier between the most dedicated Halo franchise fan, and the general gaming public. Halo was a declining franchise a few years ago, peaking with H3, so I'm just not sure about this one.

About the best news for XB1 is that PSNow is probably a mess in the making, maybe they can get some negative PS4 PR by proxy (even though I bet most gamers that care have a PS3, and know fully that a real PS3 is much better than streaming games online).

To jump start the XB1, they're going to need bundles at $349 with major bundle pack-ins, and the marketing to back it up. And that only applies to US/UK, they're already dead elsewhere. Europe is a lost cause, Japan is dead to everyone for home consoles, etc.

Well, no need to make a topic to state the obvious

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Azzanation said:
X1 doesn't have to outsell PS4 to be a successful machine. As long as MS are happy with Xbox then we will continue to have games and consoles In the future. X1 is the fastest selling Xbox in its history. Should we gamers care what console wins a sales race if all are successful? No. As long as the system isn't a flop like the Dreamcast there is nothing to worry about. X1 has sold the least amount of hardware this gen yet it has the most AAA games available and coming in 2014, again do Sales really matter? No. Wii beat the 360 and PS3 last gen hands down but did that effect the other consoles from 3rd party developers and games? again No.

Just play the games you love.

Umm research before posting, they have the same # of AAA exclusives coming this year with sony have vastly more indie, and f2p games.