By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hate to say it, but Starfox Wii U sounds like the next Lair

Star Fox on Wii U support local Co-Op with GamePad player as gunner. (I just read first post)

Around the Network

I embrace new ways to play games! Bring it on!

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

http://time.com/2850146/shigeru-miyamoto-nintendo-interview/

...seriously?

Aiming with the Gamepad gyro while steering with the control stick, and holding the pad up to look at both screens at once? Sounds awkward as fuck.

I actually sat down and tried it with my Gamepad and it was both uncomfortable on the hands and annoying on the eyes. (Don't know about you, but my eyes only have one focal depth, can't look at a screen half a meter away and one two meters away simultaneously)

It seems like Miyamoto is so obsessed with trying to find "novel" ways to use the Gamepad that actual convenience and good design has been forgotten. Look at his Project Giant Robot for example, it shows the same painful awkwardness in the name of being "unique".

At this point it sounds like the whole game will be a Gamepad tech demo, like a Starfox-themed Nintendoland.

I never thought I'd say this, but Miyamoto has become more of a liability than an asset to Nintendo.

Time for him to retire.

So based on impressions in Time Magazine of a game you haven't played that is in very early production stages you have determined not only that the game will be terrible, but that Shigeru Miyamoto no longer has anything to contribute to the company and needs to retire.  Wow.

At the risk of a ban, there is no way I can think of to describe this post than pure idiocy.  A prime example of the ridiculous overreaction that characterizes the internet. 

You shouldn't be at risk, for what you, along with the sorrofully minority of responses here, say clearly shows how paranoid not only OP but a good portion of users on this thread really are.

"I read an article on controls so I know by hand how bad it is! BELIEVE ME!!!11!1" is all I'm getting from this thread wholeheartedly.

I wouldn't pass judgment on a control scheme that hasn't been thoroughly demonstrated, or in this case, tried out except for a small number of individuals, which in this case: http://kotaku.com/we-played-shigeru-miyamotos-new-star-fox-game-1588712327 contradicts OP's blatant paranoia.

What happened to actually playing a game or seeing someone clearly demonstrating the controls through a video before deciding whether or not they were trash? Apparently those days are gone, as proven by the dozens of commenters too cowardly to admit they are pretty much incapable of giving a game or mechanic (which may I remind you was unveiled less than a week ago) a chance and would rather dismiss it, despite being part of 2 things they've been clamoring for in spades for years:

1) A new Star Fox title.

2) Ways that make the Gamepad worth using.

And if the OP even bothers to reply to me (which given my recent call outs to other threads, I doubt), don't bother with a reply akin to "B-but I read this article, so I know it sucks,"especially if you try to hide it behind a thesis-long response.

No.

You don't know if it sucks.

I don't know if it sucks, either.

Most of us here don't, anyway.

Your "experiment" was based on assumption.

An assumption based on a prototype.

A prototype that not only you have NO prior experience with, but one that is FAR from completion.

I would say I hope you learn something from my response, but given the most of the lashing replies I've gotten here from users like you, I predictably doubt it.

Isn't this pretty much what people were asking for as soon as the Wii U was announced? The TV screen would show one view and the Gamepad shows the cockpit view. Sounds pretty much perfect to me... Also, you aren't supposed to look at both at the same time. You do the same thing in real life...ya know when you look down at the dashboard of your car (or the cockpit of your plane).

Also, the controls will likely be customizable in the final build...

I think I have enough faith in Nintendo to not write this game off before we have even seen footage of it (that wasn't horribly blurred out)....

So basically... When Nintendo doesn't try to use the gamepad in a meaningful way, everyone complains... When the do try to use it in a meaningful way... Everyone complains... And not to mention this is basically in its experimental stage with only a few people that have actually played the game

Its like the whole, we want Nintendo to make new IPs and then when they do, we go "wheres Majoras Mask 3d and Metroid at?" I swear, I always feel as though its mostly the Nintendo fanbase that does this...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Huge overeaction there, and you're forgetting the fact that pretty much all of their Wii U games support multiple different control options!

Did you just compare a new Star Fox game to Lair? Dont say things you cant take back.

But yes I will have to see some solid gameplay to be sold on the new control style.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

So basically... When Nintendo doesn't try to use the gamepad in a meaningful way, everyone complains... When the do try to use it in a meaningful way... Everyone complains... And not to mention this is basically in its experimental stage with only a few people that have actually played the game

Its like the whole, we want Nintendo to make new IPs and then when they do, we go "wheres Majoras Mask 3d and Metroid at?" I swear, I always feel as though its mostly the Nintendo fanbase that does this...

Someone get this man a cookie.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

curl-6 said:

It seems like Miyamoto is so obsessed with trying to find "novel" ways to use the Gamepad that actual convenience and good design has been forgotten. Look at his Project Giant Robot for example, it shows the same painful awkwardness in the name of being "unique".

I never thought I'd say this, but Miyamoto has become more of a liability than an asset to Nintendo.

Time for him to retire.

I think you will be sorry the day he retires. He will be 62 in November. He still works for Nintendo and he still has responsabilities to Nintendo and its shareholders. So even with all his credability in the gaming world, and hopefully also in the office of Nintendo, he has to smile as he does what the board has decided. 

This is what they promised shareholders in januari:

"As a platform in its second year, Wii U is currently in a very difficult position. I would like to begin with what we are going to do with Wii U.

Obviously, under the current situation where the company has to report an operating loss, simply executing a price reduction as a way to defuse the situation is not an option. In the short-term, Nintendo will focus on thoroughly enriching the value of the most significant feature of Wii U, the Wii U GamePad.

Unfortunately, as the current situation of Wii U shows, we have not been able to fully communicate the value of the GamePad. We also realize that we have not been successful in answering consumers’ questions such as, “What is the difference between Wii U and the previous platform, Wii, and what is the benefit of upgrading it?” By looking at the current sales situation, I am aware that this is due to our lack of effort. What’s even worse is that there even appear to be not a small number of consumers who think the GamePad is one of the accessories for the  previous platform, Wii.

It is more challenging to convey the appeal of the GamePad to consumers who do not engage with video games that often since they do not actively gather information about video games. Therefore, we intend to take on this challenge, and I would like to have this solved before the year-end sales season.

In order to do this, it is obvious that Our top priority task this year is to offer software titles that are made possible because of the GamePad.

We have managed to offer several of such software titles for occasions when many people gather in one place to play, but we have not been able to offer a decisive software title that enriches the user’s gameplay experience when playing alone with the GamePad. This will be one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto’s software development department this year."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/

"Please understand" that the first titles are pushed into 2015: Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World .

There are a lot of "Suits" that are willing and able to take all Nintendos assets and IPs, sell it and walk away with the money! As Miyamoto is one of their strongest "assets" he probably guarantees that Nintendo still has some freedom.

I thought most of the gimicky controls, are always gimicky and no fun. Even in skyward sword which had some really cool motion controls. They forced a lot motion controls in places that didn't need it.

However, with wii-u they pretty much have given you like 3 different control schemes for almost everygame. (That I've played)

I don't see them forcing only one scheme, because I'd think there would be multiplayer (which on wii-u requires different schemes). Options for that wii-u tablet are fine, and advertising them makes sense, for reaction and feedback.