By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hate to say it, but Starfox Wii U sounds like the next Lair

http://time.com/2850146/shigeru-miyamoto-nintendo-interview/

...seriously?

Aiming with the Gamepad gyro while steering with the control stick, and holding the pad up to look at both screens at once? Sounds awkward as fuck.

I actually sat down and tried it with my Gamepad and it was both uncomfortable on the hands and annoying on the eyes. (Don't know about you, but my eyes only have one focal depth, can't look at a screen half a meter away and one two meters away simultaneously)

It seems like Miyamoto is so obsessed with trying to find "novel" ways to use the Gamepad that actual convenience and good design has been forgotten. Look at his Project Giant Robot for example, it shows the same painful awkwardness in the name of being "unique".

At this point it sounds like the whole game will be a Gamepad tech demo, like a Starfox-themed Nintendoland.

I never thought I'd say this, but Miyamoto has become more of a liability than an asset to Nintendo.

Time for him to retire.

Around the Network

I agree 100% and came to the same depressing conclusion the second I heard about it.

really? they are doing this to star fox? they cant be serious.......... they cant......

I'm not 100% sure but I think that I read somewhere that aiming can be done with the other analog stick just like the Legend of Zelda archery game in Nintendoland.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I actually enjoyed Lair

Around the Network

That's what happens when you try to forcefully make use of the controller you added to your console to try and get the casuals again even though you never had a real idea how to fully take advantage of the thing in games in the first place.

DerNebel said:
That's what happens when you try to forcefully make use of the controller you added to your console to try and get the casuals again even though you never had a real idea how to fully take advantage of the thing in games in the first place.

sometimes i feel that nintendo really really never paid attention to Sony or Micrososft this past generation. its like they are repeating all the stupid things both companies did. welcome to 2006 nintendo. 

This is just hyperbole. Any motion aiming with the pad can be done with the left stick just like in Zelda WW.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I will give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. They deserve it more than anyone, especially reviving a franchise I wanted badly on the big screen again. I think there is hope. I think it would have been nice if the did something like FTL and had you manage your ship and display your wing men on the Wii U controller while on the big screen do your flying.

padib said:
Sometimes I feel like people in the thread don't read the article posted with OP.

Nintendo isn't forcefully making use of the dual-screen, they want to make use of dual-screen and are doing what they consider novel ideas to enhance gameplay.

You guys suck, honestly.

That's nothing but PR speak for forcefully trying to integrate the controller into their games.