By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hate to say it, but Starfox Wii U sounds like the next Lair

Well, nintendo games tends to look better and better with time, so i will give the benefit of doubt(MK8 was bland last year, now seems like a masterpiece), but will try to follow this project closely.

Now, a less about entitled analisys: one thing is pretty clear: this is not star fox 64 2, for better and worse. Some could say that the fans want the same things again and again, but nintendo alreadly had their chance trying things differets wiht he franchise, and none really stood out from the great game that SF64 was. Even if the game turn outs "ok", we all know that will not sell greatly unless its something wonderfull, what could put the future of the series in danger once more. This game need to looks and plays great from the get go to stand a chance , on wiiu specially.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

http://time.com/2850146/shigeru-miyamoto-nintendo-interview/

...seriously?

Aiming with the Gamepad gyro while steering with the control stick, and holding the pad up to look at both screens at once? Sounds awkward as fuck.

I actually sat down and tried it with my Gamepad and it was both uncomfortable on the hands and annoying on the eyes. (Don't know about you, but my eyes only have one focal depth, can't look at a screen half a meter away and one two meters away simultaneously)

It seems like Miyamoto is so obsessed with trying to find "novel" ways to use the Gamepad that actual convenience and good design has been forgotten. Look at his Project Giant Robot for example, it shows the same painful awkwardness in the name of being "unique".

At this point it sounds like the whole game will be a Gamepad tech demo, like a Starfox-themed Nintendoland.

I never thought I'd say this, but Miyamoto has become more of a liability than an asset to Nintendo.

Time for him to retire.

If you played the airship from metroid's Nintendo land game, you know the motion controls are awesome. Give it some time. There is going to be a classic control option, as in most if not all WiiU games.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

vkaraujo said:
Hmmm, i am pretty sure i see people in this topic who complained when they found out DK:TF and MK8 didn't used the gamePad in any meaningful way...

Now that they try, you guys complain again? What is this? A trap?

Correct answer.

You can't please the people that wouldn't ever have gotten the Wii U anyway. It's funny to observe.

OT: Let's not jump to conclusions so quickly.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

menx64 said:

If you played the airship from metroid's Nintendo land game, you know the motion controls are awesome. 

Those worked for a brief minigame, but a whole game with those kind of controls? I'm not sold.

Lair was a masterpiece though. :P

Well I think it's better to reserve judgement. What if the game turns out really good? Don't let this turn into another SM3DW situation. But I agree with you. Miyamoto shouldn't give up good design for the sake of novelty if that's really the case here.

Around the Network

I'm not ruling you any chance it could be good, I'm just saying what we know so far is very discouraging to me.

Samus Aran said:

I don't understand why Nintendo just didn't let Platinum Games make Star Fox.

They were busy with How To Train You're Dragon 3, I mean Scalebound. 

Isn't this pretty much the exact control scheme for piloting Samus' ship in the Metroid Nintendo Land game?

That actually works really well, once you get used to it.

bigtakilla said:
Samus Aran said:

No, Hideki Kamiya offered to work on Star Fox multiple times, but got turned down each time. 

Now Platinum is indeed wasting their time on Scalebound. Are they big enough to make two games at once? 

Samus Aran said:
bigtakilla said:
Samus Aran said:

No, Hideki Kamiya offered to work on Star Fox multiple times, but got turned down each time. 

Now Platinum is indeed wasting their time on Scalebound. Are they big enough to make two games at once? 

Of course. Team Kamiya and Team Inaba. Kamiya did TW101, and now is apparently leading Scalebound. Team Inaba is doing Bayonetta 2, up next, ???

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.