By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are MK8 numbers more impressive than WD??

Which is more impressive?

Mario Kart 8, obviously. 336 62.92%

WATCHDOGS FTW! GO UBISOFT! 126 23.60%

You made this soooooo bad :P 27 5.06%

Can't decide. 43 8.05%

Total:532
Lawlight said:
1.2M shipped vs 4M sold. Which one is more impressive?

I have to laugh. What makes you think that Nintendo saying "more than 1.2 sales worldwide" is less reputable than Ubisoft saying "with more than 4 million sold". As far as numbers go, certainly WD is very impressive, but for the Wii U and MK8 it is very impressive in its own right for what it is.

This comparison is crazy as it is always going to end up falling to a someones personal preference. However, taking one companies statement as more legit over another that is very similar is also crazy. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Dusk said:

That's fine, but we are talking about NA not Japan. I said it's presumptuious. As I said, even if you do count the 31st it was 3 days. 

Dusk said:

Mario Kart 8 came out on the 29th of May in Japan, 30th in NA and 31 is Aus. Just looked it up. Where did you get "Mario Kart had 4 days in Japan" from?

Where did you get "we are talking about NA not Japan" from?  It is also not presumptuous to use the data correctly.  I don't know why you are saying "even if you do count", the data goes through the end of the day.  Not sure why you are trying to turn that into some sort of unknown.

Yakuzaice said:
Dusk said:

That's fine, but we are talking about NA not Japan. I said it's presumptuious. As I said, even if you do count the 31st it was 3 days. 

Dusk said:

Mario Kart 8 came out on the 29th of May in Japan, 30th in NA and 31 is Aus. Just looked it up. Where did you get "Mario Kart had 4 days in Japan" from?

Where did you get "we are talking about NA not Japan" from?  It is also not presumptuous to use the data correctly.  I don't know why you are saying "even if you do count", the data goes through the end of the day.  Not sure why you are trying to turn that into some sort of unknown.

What is presumptuious is assuming when the numbers are submitted. They might be done early that morning from the evening before (if there is any data), in the middle of the day, or near the end of the work day. Or any time inbetween for that matter. We don't have a time stamp of when this data is submitted, therefor it is an unknown. You are also assuming it is done at the same time each time it is done and again we have no bases for that assumption.

Dusk said:

What is presumptuious is assuming when the numbers are submitted. They might be done early that morning from the evening before (if there is any data), in the middle of the day, or near the end of the work day. Or any time inbetween for that matter. We don't have a time stamp of when this data is submitted, therefor it is an unknown. You are also assuming it is done at the same time each time it is done and again we have no bases for that assumption.

The numbers aren't published the same day that they occur.  There is usually at least a few days lag.  The numbers would also be far less useful if there wasn't a known consistency to the time periods.  One week could have 8 days, another only 6.

It was one thing to just not know what day the numbers ran through.  This theory though that they just use random times every week is ridiculous.  It is not presumptuous to assume they use a sane, consistent time period.

The PS4 version sell better than mario kart 8 without the japanesse market. On NA alone sell almost on par with MK8 WW. WD sales definitely looks more impressive.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Dusk said:

The numbers aren't published the same day that they occur.  There is usually at least a few days lag.  The numbers would also be far less useful if there wasn't a known consistency to the time periods.  One week could have 8 days, another only 6.

It was one thing to just not know what day the numbers ran through.  This theory though that they just use random times every week is ridiculous.  It is not presumptuous to assume they use a sane, consistent time period.

As far as you assume. Dude, much of this is analytical and based on assumption therefor it's all a general guess. That is why many of the numbers don't add up to the same if you check different sources. This is why it's so common to have things over tracked or under tracked. 

Again, we don't know this in entirty. Some might be taking numbers from the exact day to be submitted especially since it is from so many different sources, meaning all the different retailers, which only some actually submit and others don't. 

Anyway... This is very far from the original conversation...

While Watch Dogs has a higher attach rate on PS4 in NA (which is impressive) and the fact that it's a new IP for Ubisoft, I'm honestly more impressed by MK8;

Firstly, we all know that sandbox style IPs ALWAYS do well and Watch Dogs looks like a tech inspired GTA so it was bound for success, not to mention its massive marketing campaign.

Second, and the most important reason in my opinion, MK8 might have just brought back the Wii U from the dead which EVERYONE thought was impossible. I personally expected it to move a few units but not 4x the amount, given the target demographic and Nintendos relevance in todays market space. We'll know within a months time how well the platform will be trending after the boost but the sheer numbers put up in TWO DAYS on a console with a very limited install base is damn impressive for a title that's already had 7 previous releases.

Are we even debating this? Watch Dogs is a brand new IP, that managed to outsell one of the biggest IPs the industry has at the moment. MK8 was always meant to be big, but WD could have went either way. And man, at the hw boost it gave to the PS4. Spin it as you want, but when it comes down to hard numbers, the PS4 still managed to do 200k with a 3rd party multiplatform in the month of May. I call that impressive by any standards

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Considering MK8 is a well established franchise and is the best selling Mario series out there, I'd say it's far more impressive simply because it's a new IP coming out on consoles that still don't have a huge install base yet.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

For me it is Watch Dogs.

Going into both releases Watch Dogs felt to me to have some head winds (delay, graphics) while Mario Kart 8 seemed set up for success being the Wii U release of the first half of 2014. Looking back I though 6 million was a tricky number for Watch Dogs, now seems easy to cruise past.