By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are MK8 numbers more impressive than WD??

Which is more impressive?

Mario Kart 8, obviously. 336 62.92%

WATCHDOGS FTW! GO UBISOFT! 126 23.60%

You made this soooooo bad :P 27 5.06%

Can't decide. 43 8.05%

Total:532
Troll_Whisperer said:

WD's attach rate on PS4 is probably gonna be higher than MK8 on Wii U, so the "only on one platform" argument is not good enough to put MK8 above WD in my opinion. It's a new IP too. The fastest-selling one in history!

I'm gonna go with Watch Dogs.

What are you on about? Fastest selling what in history? 

Edit: Didn't realize that WD is now considered the fastest selling new IP in history. That I think is more impressive than this comparison. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Dusk said:

Mario Kart 8 came out on the 29th of May in Japan, 30th in NA and 31 is Aus. Just looked it up. Where did you get "Mario Kart had 4 days in Japan" from?

From counting?  The PR from Nintendo included the full weekend, Media Create/Famitsu numbers go through the 1st, VGC numbers go through the 1st.

29, 30, 31, 1.  Four days.

The numbers on VG are according to the 31st. We don't know if that's the beginning of the day or the end of the day numbers so it's presumptuious to count the 31st. Either way, even if you do count the full of the 31st that still puts it at 3 days max, at least with VGC numbers.

Dusk said:

The numbers on VG are according to the 31st. We don't know if that's the beginning of the day or the end of the day numbers so it's presumptuious to count the 31st. Either way, even if you do count the full of the 31st that still puts it at 3 days max, at least with VGC numbers.

VGC numbers in Japan go through the 1st.  I'm also not sure where you got the idea that the numbers aren't through the end of that day.  Pokemon X/Y came out on the 12th of October in the US.  They showed up on the chart for the week ending the 12th.

Going with Ubi. What MK did was nothing special.

The boost is irrelevant since the sales were so abysmal that any boost would be out of proportion.
The attach rate is nothing special because it's normal for Mario games. That's what people buy the consoles for.

And Watch Dogs is a new IP.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

cheshirescat said:
People need to drop the 'multi-plat versus exclusive' argument, given that watch dogs outsold mario kart 8 on ps4 alone, not to mention that the xbone version also sold more in the us and the uk.

But Watch Dogs also was released 3 days before. The sales for Mario Kart 8 are from a span of 2 days, for the NA release anyways.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Ryudo said:

4 Million on 5 platforms in 7 days averaging less than 1 Million per system LESS
1.2 Million on one system in 2 days

What is hard to understand about that? MK8 blew it out of the water

Watch Dogs had five days and it hasn't been released in Japan. (actually I'm not sure if their PR was based on the tracking weeks or a full week, but VGC data will be five days.)  Mario Kart had 4 days in Japan.

Also if there had been a PC version of MK8 that sold 50k would that somehow make MK8 sales worse since it brings the average down?

Like Japan matters for a western game

Ryudo said:

Like Japan matters for a western game

GTA V sold more than MK8 in Japan first week, and is over 800k now. (per Media Create numbers at least, Famitsu has MK8 about 23k ahead).  Watch Dogs won't sell anywhere near that well, but clearly a western game can do well in Japan.

It also doesn't change my point about the number of days the games had or the irrelevance of average sales per platform.

WD's sales are more impressive, considering it is a new IP.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

1.2M shipped vs 4M sold. Which one is more impressive?

Yakuzaice said:
Dusk said:

VGC numbers in Japan go through the 1st.  I'm also not sure where you got the idea that the numbers aren't through the end of that day.  Pokemon X/Y came out on the 12th of October in the US.  They showed up on the chart for the week ending the 12th.

That's fine, but we are talking about NA not Japan. I said it's presumptuious. As I said, even if you do count the 31st it was 3 days.