By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Are MK8 numbers more impressive than WD??

Which is more impressive?

Mario Kart 8, obviously. 336 62.92%

WATCHDOGS FTW! GO UBISOFT! 126 23.60%

You made this soooooo bad :P 27 5.06%

Can't decide. 43 8.05%

Total:532
tbone51 said:

MK8 is sold through as well. Besides both did outstanding.. OT: Why are we comparing these two when both did very well and broke expectations? If i had to choose it be Watchdogs cuz of the fact its a new IP

As my dad was driving me back home, I was checking twitter and saw that WD sold 4 million units on 5 platforms, and I said to myself "amazing!", but then comes tweets saying "MK8 sold 1.2 million units" and I said then "incredible!"...

For the following minutes, hours and days, my mind was thinking "MK8 sold an unbelieveble amount, and ON THE WII U!! I don't think it's receiving enough credit, but why? Oh, Watchdogs also sold an unbelieveble amount... But which did better? WD was on 5 platforms, so it averaged just under 1 million per platform; MK8 did 1.2 million on a 6.17 million install base..."

And that's how I met your mother this thread was created :D

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Dusk said:
Lawlight said:
1.2M shipped vs 4M sold. Which one is more impressive?

I have to laugh. What makes you think that Nintendo saying "more than 1.2 sales worldwide" is less reputable than Ubisoft saying "with more than 4 million sold". As far as numbers go, certainly WD is very impressive, but for the Wii U and MK8 it is very impressive in its own right for what it is.

This comparison is crazy as it is always going to end up falling to a someones personal preference. However, taking one companies statement as more legit over another that is very similar is also crazy. 

Because Ubisoft said sold through.

MK8 is sold through as well. Besides both did outstanding.. OT: Why are we comparing these two when both did very well and broke expectations? If i had to choose it be Watchdogs cuz of the fact its a new IP

Nintendo didn't specify sold through so it's shipped.

Slarvax said:
Keegs79 said:
DevilRising said:
Considering that WD is multiplatform, on platforms that have FAR, far higher instal bases than Wii U? And MK8 is only on Wii U, with a still relatively small install base? The answer is yes: MK8's numbers are, in point of fact, more impressive. There really isn't much of an argument to be had on that.

Isn't much argument? A lot of people expected Mario Kart 8 being one of a very few games only possible to help sale the Wii U. Its installed base didn't matter with that into account. Mario Kart is more popular than franchises like Metroid and Zelda and sold millions. How many millions or how popular was Watch Dogs with its history? Zero on both accounts.

Being impressed with Mario Kart 8 is saying they are impressed that one of Nintendo's most successful franchises of all time. How much sense does that make. A great game with a great history sold well. Its like underestimating the popularity of Nintendo's games.

So Wii Sports Club should sell 30 million units? Or 3D World close to 5 million? Or Tropical Freeze around 4 million? And I'm being nice, they're predecessors sold much more than that!

That's why I'm more impressed by Mario Kart 8. It has been proven time and time again that amazing games on th Wii U sell BAD! But MK proved us all wrong!

And don't tell me that you were expecting low sales from WatchDogs. Sure, not 4 million (those are CoD numbers, DAMN!), but it was going to sell incredibly well no matter what.

Wii Sports came with the Wii. Mario Kart sells exceed above 5 million. Double Dash sold almost 7 million and Mario Kart 64 sold nearly 9 million. Your impressed that gamers who love Nintendo would buy a famous highly positive reviewed franchise title? Noooooooo?

Watch Dogs is more impressive because its a new IP. It doesn't matter if it was hyped. It was a brand new title. It was Ubisoft biggest success more so than any other title. It had nearly 1 million pre-orders. It had more pre-orders on the PS4 than Mario Kart 8 had. With all this said, Nintendo games DO NOT sale bad. Third party games sale bad on Nintendo's systems.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Dusk said:
Lawlight said:

I have to laugh. What makes you think that Nintendo saying "more than 1.2 sales worldwide" is less reputable than Ubisoft saying "with more than 4 million sold". As far as numbers go, certainly WD is very impressive, but for the Wii U and MK8 it is very impressive in its own right for what it is.

This comparison is crazy as it is always going to end up falling to a someones personal preference. However, taking one companies statement as more legit over another that is very similar is also crazy. 

Because Ubisoft said sold through.

How can it be shipped when they included digital sales ...digital sales can't be shipped so on that note it's more than likely mean sold through I can't understand why people are overlooking this fact... Either way you look at it no one expected mario kart to sell even close to a million over the weekend ...that in itself is an incredible feat ...no exclusive whether it be Sony ,Nintendo or Microsoft sold in this current generation  that many games over a weekend 

Watchdogs sales are def more impressive!

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:
Dusk said:
Lawlight said:

in other words its not confirmed for either. Pokemon XY they did the same thing and that was sold

Jay70sgamer said:

How can it be shipped when they included digital sales ...digital sales can't be shipped so on that note it's more than likely mean sold through I can't understand why people are overlooking this fact... Either way you look at it no one expected mario kart to sell even close to a million over the weekend ...that in itself is an incredible feat ...no exclusive whether it be Sony ,Nintendo or Microsoft sold in this current generation  that many games over a weekend 

Yeah but I would bet Halo will. Considering their is absolutely nothing out there and hasn't been for the Wii U, Mario Kart 8 was primed to sale big. It likely won't even outsell its predecessors or get close in sales considering the smaller installed base. It will be a slow burn if it does.

Lawlight said:

This "shipped vs. sold" crap needs to die. Nintendo themselves officially said that the game had sold 1.2 mil. But whatever, I'm sure somehow that's incorrect, or even if correct, inconsequential, yes?

lol I still can't see how so many people are saying WD, when it released on 5 different platforms, two of them with huge install bases, one that is a hot new console (PS4), and the game was ABSOLUTELY hyped to the fuckin' moon. It's "From the Makers of Assassin's Creed", a super-popular franchise. It's going to be the same exact deal with Destiny, because it's "From the Makers of Halo". It's built on hype, and people's knowledge of what the studio has done beforehand. I'm not saying WD's numbers AREN'T impressive.....I'm just saying that MK8's numbers, for three days tracked (not an entire week), is more impressive, considering it's one console, and a console that's been selling at a snail's pace recently, with a quote-unquote "low install base".

Jay70sgamer said:

Obviously, shipped is for the physical copies. I'm sure you knew that. Unless you're saying all those 1.2M were digital only.

Lawlight said:
Jay70sgamer said:

Obviously, shipped is for the physical copies. I'm sure you knew that. Unless you're saying all those 1.2M were digital only.

You know what I meant ...why would nintendo state they sold 1.2 million games when they clearly stated including digital ...when they could have just stated we sold 1.2 million also this sold and sold through stuff is stupid ...when have you ever heard nintendo use the word sold through ..they always state sold not sold through ..Sony does that ..who cares both nintendo and ubisoft sold well