By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did anyone predict Wii U to do this bad? If so, why?

kitler53 said:
noname2200 said:
superchunk said:
noname2200 said:
superchunk said:
I did not. I thought it would do far better.

I know one person who is a big Ninty fan who did. I shall not say his name, but he'll likely show up.

trestres doesn't show up much anymore.

Person I'm thinking of is still an active member.

kitler hasn't been a Nintendo fan in years.

i think he means rol, he was pretty vocal about nintendo's failure to follow their wii strategy. 

i predicted bang or bust. i didn't get the wiiU.  i didn't believe superchunk in his attempts to convience everyone the wiiU wouldn't be underpowered relative to the ps4 and nextbox. i knew the "core" would ignore it.  i was pretty sure the casuals wouldn't come back but i'd be lying if i said i felt any confidence in understanding what that market would want.  so i figured either gamecube levels or 100 millon.  i didn't see anything inbetween being realistic. 

It has to be hard times for Nintendo seeing that the market is shifting to different things via age and differing multimedia devices. Children are buying GTA , Assassins Creed and COD over Super Mario and tablet and cellphone games are hurting the advances of the DS even though the DS is still winning the portable war against the Vita.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
kitler53 said:

noname2200 said:

hasn't been a Nintendo fan in years.

i think he means rol, he was pretty vocal about nintendo's failure to follow their wii strategy. 

i predicted bang or bust. i didn't get the wiiU.  i didn't believe superchunk in his attempts to convience everyone the wiiU wouldn't be underpowered relative to the ps4 and nextbox. i knew the "core" would ignore it.  i was pretty sure the casuals wouldn't come back but i'd be lying if i said i felt any confidence in understanding what that market would want.  so i figured either gamecube levels or 100 millon.  i didn't see anything inbetween being realistic. 

It has to be hard times for Nintendo seeing that the market is shifting to different things via age and differing multimedia devices. Children are buying GTA , Assassins Creed and COD over Super Mario and tablet and cellphone games are hurting the advances of the DS even though the DS is still winning the portable war against the Vita.

hopefully this quality of life thing works out for them. 

but really i just hope they go third party.  i still like a few of their games i just hate what they do on the hardware and services side.  i could never make a nintendo console my main console and as a secondary console it is just an annoying amount of money and space to buy the console for just a couple good games.  still, mario kart, smash, and zelda are all good games. 

I wasn't able to predict anything since I heard about it's existence for the first time a couple months after release. Which is pretty fucking sad since I following gaming.

No, I was expecting somewhere in the 50 million range. (It'll be lucky to end up with 20 million the way it's currently selling)

kitler53 said:
noname2200 said:
superchunk said:
noname2200 said:
superchunk said:

I know one person who is a big Ninty fan who did. I shall not say his name, but he'll likely show up.

Yep. but it was funny watching them guess.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
noname2200 said:
superchunk said:
noname2200 said:
superchunk said:

Thanks. For killing the joke. Joke killer. Jokiller? Jokeiller? You.

I never expected it to do this poorly.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

I never expected the WiiU to sell 60 million+, but I also never expected it to sell this badly!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Always said it would do considerably worse than the Wii but honestly did not see this coming. I don't think I have any specific number until after the thing had launched, if I had made a guess before it did, I would likely have guessed somewhere in the 40 million region or so.
I did recognize the Gamepad as a potentially big problem right away though, but underestimated how big that problem would be in conjunction with the overall design, pricing and costs and super slow 1st party production.