By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry complains about Mario Kart 8 dropping to 59 FPS.

curl-6 said:
fluky-nintendy said:
Why Nintendo lies constantly about resolution? 

They never lied. Nintendo never said it was 1080p.

They also never said it wasn't

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Honestly, this sounds like a bug they can patch easily enough,
it's supposedly always present, irrespective of game scene, normal vs. 2/4-way split screen, etc,
that sounds like some internal timing bug, not a performance issue,
and not something they knowingly intended, so hopefully they can patch it quickly...

Is this all that matters now? This is just sad, just chill out and enjoy the game when it comes people

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Conegamer said:

Cannot be unseen, eh?

Sounds like nitpicking at it's very finest. Sure it's a little concerning but it's one repeated frame. It'll never impact anyone at any time, surely.

Thread title is misleading

This, Digital Foundry's whole deal is nitpicking the technical aspect of games, they're just doing their due diligence and they admited themselves that most wouldn't even notice it and go on to roundly praise the game.

IamAwsome said:
So does this mean the game will flop and Nintendo will lose E3?

Yep! The game will flop and will sell under 3 million thanks to this piece of news!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

wasn't Nintendo fans gloating the other day that they have a 1080p 60fps game lol

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
wasn't Nintendo fans gloating the other day that they have a 1080p 60fps game lol

Well, Sony fans gloated about KZ Shadowfall's "1080p 60fps" multiplayer... :P

Um, what? I don't for a second believe anyone on the face of this earth is able to discern the difference between 60 and 59 fps, with the naked eye.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

the-pi-guy said:
Cheebee said:
Um, what? I don't for a second believe anyone on the face of this earth is able to discern the difference between 60 and 59 fps, with the naked eye.

It's closer to a 30 fps drop.  Because the 63rd frame will be up twice, this will be like a slowdown from 60 fps to 30 fps for that pretty much 1 frame though.  

But it isn't exactly the difference between 59 and 60 fps.  

I understand what you're saying, yes. However as this lasts for 1/60th of a second or so, I don't think this actually matters. 

Consider that not a single person/reviewer has ever noticed nor mentioned this about the game before, anywhere, ever. Every review /hands-on claimed it was 60 fps.

Thus, I don't believe anyone will notice, and DF has been using technological means to discover this. How else did they find out that this blip happens exactly on the 63rd frame? Surely not with their naked eyes. 

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
the-pi-guy said:
Cheebee said:

It's closer to a 30 fps drop.  Because the 63rd frame will be up twice, this will be like a slowdown from 60 fps to 30 fps for that pretty much 1 frame though.  

But it isn't exactly the difference between 59 and 60 fps.  

I understand what you're saying, yes. However as this lasts for 1/60th of a second or so, I don't think this actually matters. 

Consider that not a single person/reviewer has ever noticed nor mentioned this about the game before, anywhere, ever. Every review /hands-on claimed it was 60 fps.

Thus, I don't believe anyone will notice, and DF has been using technological means to discover this. How else did they find out that this blip happens exactly on the 63rd frame? Surely not with their naked eyes. 

As a PC gamer, I can tell you some of us are quite sensitive to those kind of things. Maybe not saying "this happens every 63rd frame", but more like "there's some stuttering it seems". Not that it makes the game any less enjoyable, but some of us can tell.