By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry complains about Mario Kart 8 dropping to 59 FPS.

osed125 said:
Arius Dion said:
This is relevant why? If the games fun isn't that enough?

Fun is determined by the amount of frames and pixels on screen duh!

Ah silly me. How could I forget that.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

That may well be the greatest scandal in gaming history...

the-pi-guy said:
This is probably going to sound stupid, but in some weird way wouldn't this be like a consistent drop to 30 fps?

If the 63rd frame and 64th frame are identical, then treating it as one frame as there is no difference means that one frame is on twice as long. That frame would be on the screen for as long as a frame if it was running at 30 fps, while the rest of it is at 60.
Yes or no?

If every frame was doubled yes, it would be the same as 30fps, but only 1 in 60 are so no, it is not the same.

If it really does create stutter then it's an issue that should be addressed with a patch. I haven't read of anybody else complaining about it though. Maybe you only notice it when you have a framerate counter telling you you're not seeing 60fps.

Cannot be unseen, eh?

Sounds like nitpicking at it's very finest. Sure it's a little concerning but it's one repeated frame. It'll never impact anyone at any time, surely.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I don't get the negativity towards DF, honestly from reading the paragraph I thought it was going to be something more serious, but it's just a minor glitch. The reaction to their statement is way out of proportion.

The game in fact runs consistently at 60fps during a whole second-ish and then at 30fps during 33ms.

The game technically never drops from an averaged ~59fps.

The problem is the constant stuttering, or judder created by the uneven framerate which, once seen, is very noticeable and jarring and even worse than locked 30fps for many people.

Very noticable? Lol, that's why no one noticed it until DF.

Can't believe people are actually complaining about this.

the-pi-guy said:
bigtakilla said:
If every frame was doubled yes, it would be the same as 30fps, but only 1 in 60 are so no, it is not the same.

This is what I mean.  

Frequency of frames running at 60 fps

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10

Frequency of frames running at 30 fps

1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4-5-5

Frequency of Mario Kart

1-2-3-4-4-5-6-7-8-9

For that frame I titled "4", it is there for 1/30th of a second.  So for that frame, it has the same frequency as a 30 fps game.  While the rest of it is running at 60, averaging those 2 frames, would show 30 fps.  Though discluding those you'd get 60 fps using all the other frames.  

For the first second, it would have a continous average of 60 fps.  But for the next second there would be a period of time where the average between the two frames would be 30 fps.  

So in some way this would be like a 30 fps drop.  Understandable how that would be noticable, assuming people really can tell the difference between 30 and 60.  

I see what you're saying, but you're simplifying a fraction making 2/60ths of a frame 1/30 (or basically reducing framerate without reducing time).

That isn't correct. It would be correct to say 1/30 of every half second is the same. (In math while reducing you have to reduce everything, if you reduce framerate you would also reduce time.) Keep in mind though that every 1/30th of a half second that is repeated will only be visible and doubled on the second pair of half seconds.

In the end it's just easier to say 59/60th of a second are different. That can't be reduced and is easier to grasp.

Samus Aran said:

Very noticable? Lol, that's why no one noticed it until DF.

Can't believe people are actually complaining about this.

"most will probably not notice it at all, and it has zero affect on playability"