By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
Zero999 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Because a lot of sony and MS games are not suitable for children, but most nintendo games are?

Whens the last time you killed an enemy like this on a game made by nintendo?

oh, I don't know...

yeah... exactly.

Around the Network

I blame that damn plumber! >:(

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Because Nintendo advertises themselves as such.

WiiU:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-18-nintendo-targeting-wii-u-marketing-to-kids-families

hell they went even farther with the 2DS:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/29/4671052/nintendo-2ds-targeting-demographic-of-very-young-kids-says-nintendo

Other factors being that their games are never or just barely going for a realistic artstyle and even some that do (looking at you Zelda) don't have things such as voice acting. I can't take that serious since I feel like playing a LEGO game.
Many of their games either don't have any story at all or just the same old simplistic "your princess is in another castle" plot. Games like Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Bioshock, Fallout and so on make you think about history, technology, political systems, relationships, philosophy etc..

Obviously nothing of that means that it cannot appeal to other groups as well and I do like Mario, ... Wars and Pokemon, but it's still mostly a company that centers around children.

While Nintendo's marketing style is mainly targeted at children, their most ambitious fans are really above 18-20 years old and their games are suitable for everyone. It is just there are a lot of close minded people who reject something on first sight or base their taste in games/films/music on their friends or related people.

ktay95 said:

we only ever really played games that we could buy on PS2 anyway 

You missed out on a hell of a lot of amazing games.

- Jade Empire - Sid Meier's Pirates  - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay - Ninja Gaiden Black- Project Gotham Racing 1&2 
- Forza Motorsport - Panzer Dragoon Orta - The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Doom 3 - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath - Far Cry Instincts - Unreal Championship 1&2 - Jet Set Radio Future - Dead or Alive 3 - Deus Ex: Invisible War - Steel Battalion - Amped 1&2 - Otogi 1&2 - Shenmue II - Outrun 2 - Gun Valkyrie - Crazy Taxi 3 - Splinter Cell - Blinx 1&2 - Super Monkey Ball Deluxe - Rallisport Challenge 1&2  - Mech Assault - Star Wars Battlefront 1&2 - Kakuto Chojin - Crimson Sea - Half Life 2 - Azurik - Kung Foo Chaos - Moto GP - Tron 2.0

Not even including Halo and Fable.

And Xbox had (much) superior multiplats with extra content. Comparing SSX on PS2 and Xbox is like night and day. I know everyone's is hating on the XBone right now (probably deserved), but the original Xbox had AMAZING games. Please don't play it down like this.

Around the Network

Because they've made practically 0 M-rated games. I seriously can't think of a single M-rated game they've ever made of published other than Perfect Dark and Eternal Darkness. Everything else is usually E, E10+ and occasionally T.
Also, Nintendo almost exclusively markets they're systems towards a younger demographic. I dare you to try to find a single Wii U commercial not aimed at children and families.

Because vast majority of nintendo games are made for kids. Simple as that.

Well, it might have to do with the Color TV, Game & Watch, NES, GB, SNES, GBA, GC, DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, and 2DS. Also, no I don't consider them for children, they're rated E for everyone.

what Nintendo think: market it so children will drool on it and they will beg their parents to buy it....

what 10 year old kids: pff Nintendo games are for kids! I want call of duty!

what college student thinks: POKEMOOOOOOON!!!!!

what parents thinks: why do I have to buy that for my kid, he already have candy crush on his phone

Hankoney said:
Zero999 said:

Nintendo isn't considered for children. Haters simply can't stop hating and try to defame nintendo. just see the trend, first they say it's for children, then nintendo easily won the 7th generation and they had to quicly come up with another crap. That's when the "casual/non gamer/not a 7th gen console" stupidity begun.

But it isn't stupidity, it's a fact. It's enough to check the sales of Wii games to see that all top games are either casual or kids games (Fit, Dance, Mario, LEGO...)

The first game that even remotely isn't aimed at kids or granies is Call of Duty 3 in the 53rd place, followed by Resident Evil 4 in 55th, both of them selling barely over 2 million out of 100 million consoles.

^ This.

And while people love to point out Wii easily won the generation, which it did, statistics also show it as the least played console.  That's another reason we "quickly came up with other crap" to explain why people don't play their Wii: People bought on hype then lost interest, especially casual / non gamers.  Beside polls also indicate that to be the case.

My 8th gen collection