By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
Jumpin said:
That was mostly the GameCube because the controller looks like a child's toy. It didn't end there, the purple console itself had a handle so kids could drag it around school like a lunchbox. When the GameCube came out, I was in my 20's, and it was too embarrassing to buy. It was the only Nintendo home console I ever skipped.

Meanwhile, I was quite enjoying using it as a wiring loom to stop my cables getting yanked out, and continue being able to play something even after having my neighbour's arsehole kid swipe the cube onto the floor and grin at me like he actually did something to ruin my day.

He got a thrashing later anyway because my Neighbour saw what happened and appreciated me not going apeshit at his twat kid.

Oh the things YOU missed because you were worried about being seen.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
AshKetchum1992 said:
It could bebecause of the way they market their products and that people associate their characters with kids (not like all Nintendo characters are cartoonish...)

Most Nintendo characters are designed similarly to exist within a single universe, kind of like Disney.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
AshKetchum1992 said:
It could bebecause of the way they market their products and that people associate their characters with kids (not like all Nintendo characters are cartoonish...)

Most Nintendo characters are designed similarly to exist within a single universe, kind of like Disney.

Leave it to S.T.A.G.E. to explain why PS All-Stars really flopped.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

"with the Wii U, the target is parents and their kids. So if you're watching primetime family entertainment, you're seeing our marketing. If you're a parent watching morning or daytime media, you're seeing our content."

Reggie Fils-Aime

So bs psychological  every one hates ninty unfairly clalls then kiddy excuses are more true then Nintys own strategy right, lolz.   

RolStoppable said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

You actually believe it?

So youre saying im playing games like killzone and god of war just so that I can say im grown up? The difference in content over nintendo games and the entertainment value bears no meaning?

I'd say the notion of accusing someone of playing games to justify their age group is to defend nintendo for the content they have no sign of making.

I also play cartoony games like littlebigplanet and modnation racers. I think they're fun but I dont see why the only explanation of expanding my preference of games should be 'wishing to be grown up'.

It's not hard to believe when it's common for hardcore gamers to proclaim their belief that M-rated games feature mature content. And just look at what you've started with your gifs. Somehow the implementation of such death scenes is argued as being a sign of maturity.

Putting down cartoony games is a sign of wishing to be grown up and that's what a lot of people have demonstrated in this very thread.

Being a fan of a mature game is not the same as putting down cartoony games.

Even if your theory is true, what about about the other way? You provide the very evidence which suggest that those who play cartoony games see themselves above those who play mature games.

Around the Network

Well, they're main focus last gen was the casual crowd and young children, this is news to no one. Plus, their games are cartoonish and light hearted by nature, which does not affect them negatively, it just gives the impression that the target audience is much younger than PlayStation (which is pretty neutral) and Xbox (Usually target teens and above)

EDIT: Tie breaker vote! WOOOO!

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

fps_d0minat0r said:
hsrob said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
hsrob said:
RolStoppable said:
Because this notion established itself as the best weapon of competitors against Nintendo. Sega did it, Sony did it, Microsoft did it. It's easy exploitation of the people who wish to be grown up.

Pretty much this.

You actually believe it?

So youre saying im playing games like killzone and god of war just so that I can say im grown up? The difference in content over nintendo games and the entertainment value bears no meaning?

I'd say the notion of accusing someone of playing games to justify their age group is to defend nintendo for the content they have no sign of making.

I also play cartoony games like littlebigplanet and modnation racers. I think they're fun but I dont see why the only explanation of expanding my preference of games should be 'wishing to be grown up'.

I wouldn't say there aren't other reasons for playing those games. The question was, "Why is Nintendo considered for children?"

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

I already posted my answer in another post. There I was just pointing out how ridiculous rols theory is.

And this is my point, you happily play games of all sorts which means you aren't one of those purple who somehow thinks they defined by games they play.

I think that there is a fair bit if truth to the idea that Sony, Sega and Microsoft have made business out of appealing to customers that are insecure about playing games with an outwardly childlike appearance. Of course not all their customers are of that ilk the same way that the Wii wasn't exclusively played by retirees and soccer moms but it's certainly part of the demographic and efforts were made to directly appeal to those groups.

Yes. The reason why nintendo is seen as for children and playstation is not is because that besides knack, sly, ratchet and clank, etc. They also produced titles rated for an older audience. Whereas nintendo really doesnt. Playstation is more of a mixed bag for everyones taste really. Young and old. On the complete opposite side we have microsoft who really only makes manly bro titles. Gears, halo, cars brah,. Now they also have kinect titles but i think of it more as a seperate system that those who uses kinect for games only uses plays games that are kinect enabled (simply because the the core 360 user sees the kinect as a joke and game breaker). If nintendo were to release just a 25% ratio of mature rated titles then they wouldnt be seen as for kids. I would be interested to see them doing a similar thing as to what naughty dog did with the jak and daxter franchise after the first entry. A far more sinister zelda perhaps? And not just a grittyer artstyle but a darker character tone aswell. Heck why not turn it into a gorefest like that black and white wii game? :D

RolStoppable said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Being a fan of a mature game is not the same as putting down cartoony games.

Even if your theory is true, what about about the other way? You provide the very evidence which suggest that those who play cartoony games see themselves above those who play mature games.

Indeed, it's not the same, hence why I said what I said.

Consequently, I don't provide the evidence you speak of. However, I obviously do see myself as better as those who refuse to play games because of certain age ratings and/or fear that they could be considered childish for playing those games.

i havent seen people claiming that, at least not in this thread. Besides, whether you like it or not, Nintendo's games are mostly children-oriented. That is not a bad thing per se (aside from diversity's perspective but thats not the topic here), so there is no need to be so defensive about it.

Gnac said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
AshKetchum1992 said:

Leave it to S.T.A.G.E. to explain why PS All-Stars really flopped.

Playstation caters visually to too many demographics. They arent visually unified. Some characters are too realistic and others are too focused on the teenage age group. PS Allstars doesn't really have kid focused characters. Artistically speaking, Sony uses less of a variety of colors in their pallet to make their characters, unlike Nintendo who uses bold and bright colors which are known to mostly attract women and children.

Look at the two rosters for both consoles. Which looks more unified? One brand is more market focused and know WHO they are marketing to. Sony knows their demographic is over a certain age. Disney was highly influenced by the marketing style of Disney when they used to make licensed trading cards for them.