By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
generic-user-1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
generic-user-1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

im in love with bethesda for over 10 years. i realy like the games, but tey are realy realy buggy and that will not change.

if u play em vanilla it just sucks.

Thats the truth. I almost gave up on playing their games on consoles all together, but it didn't stop me from having fun once I got over half of the console glitches. Skyrim and Fallout were masterpieces.

skyrim even on an older pc with just some mods and fixes is just so much better.

the shroomkingdom mod is sooo great...

I saw my ex-roommates version of Skyrim and I almost didnt want to play it on consoles again. LOL depressing. Those mods must be awesome.

Around the Network
Hankoney said:
jibbyjackjoe said:
Nintendo points itself towards people who want to have fun and not look at blood and guts and guns and tits and death and brown and grey.

So, basically -- children! 

And to be serious, I find it very narrow-minded when people, in this instance Nintendo defenders, equate mature content with killing and nudity. But once they dare look outside their closeminded world of vivid cartoon characters, theey might discover other interesting ideas. 

Oh, and sorry, but if you are an adult and don't like nudity, something is not right...

I find it funny that you are stating that this is a narrow minded viewpoint, and yet there you are, in you're last sentence, being terribly narrow minded.

Children games are things like Barney learns colors, or elmo teaches the ABCs. 

And no, call of duty does not interest me.  I've looked at it.  It. Is. Not. Fun.  To me, anyways.  Which makes this entire discussion subjective.

jibbyjackjoe said:
Hankoney said:
jibbyjackjoe said:
Nintendo points itself towards people who want to have fun and not look at blood and guts and guns and tits and death and brown and grey.

So, basically -- children! 

And to be serious, I find it very narrow-minded when people, in this instance Nintendo defenders, equate mature content with killing and nudity. But once they dare look outside their closeminded world of vivid cartoon characters, theey might discover other interesting ideas. 

Oh, and sorry, but if you are an adult and don't like nudity, something is not right...

I find it funny that you are stating that this is a narrow minded viewpoint, and yet there you are, in you're last sentence, being terribly narrow minded.

And no, call of duty does not interest me.  I've looked at it.  It. Is. Not. Fun.  To me, anyways.  Which makes this entire discussion subjective.

You do know that:

a) There are at least 5.000 games aimed at adults not called Call of Duty?

b) Majority of them are not on Nintendo consoles

c) Both Barney and Elmo games are on Nintendo, along with Hello Kitty, Teletubbies, Peppa Pig, and add many hundreds of children's games on Nintendo platforms.

And d) I don't think I'm narrow minded, I'd just rather look at a nice pair of breasts and not at Yoshi and Kirby. 

because people want to call Nintendo game childish.

Look at The Last of Us. Nintendo would never publish something as language abusive as that game. Nintendo is very reserved at releasing games that are somewhat offensive and that's why they're kid friendly (and they never denied it). But it's not a negative thing, games actually started because of giving a distraction to kids, but evolved over the years.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:
Look at The Last of Us. Nintendo would never publish something as language abusive as that game. Nintendo is very reserved at releasing games that are somewhat offensive and that's why they're kid friendly (and they never denied it). But it's not a negative thing, games actually started because of giving a distraction to kids, but evolved over the years.

Nintendo publishes mature games, they dont MAKE THEM. They published Bayonetta and Rare titles in the past. They don't want their first party to be associated with mature games, but they don't mind paying other companies to make them for them. Look no further than their track record.

fps_d0minat0r said:
mysteryman said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

tbh ive seen more people state their reason for playing nintendo games because they are not mature games than mature gamers saying they dont play nintendo games because they are cartoony.

Its become unthinkable for many to accept that mature rated games can simply be better than cartoony games (im not saying all are), and instead go around making excuses about how people have limited their content to just mature games.

and this goes back to the previous point I made, more mature gamers play cartoony games than kids play mature games. mature gamers ARE playing a wider range of games than kids, so its just a non issue which you are blowing out of proportion.

If some people like sales2099 dont feel nintendo offer similar content to that found in other games and therefore he does play then whats the problem with that? Its nintendo's fault for making too many of the same type of games. They are the ones limiting their own appeal. Not everyone HAS to like cartoony games, and the reason isnt because they are cartoony, its often related with the satisfaction gained from the game. It doesnt take very long before jumping on an enemy to watch them disappear gets boring, eventually people seek games where there are better animations, more interactivity, and so on.

@ underlined. The same argument could be made for "cartoony" games, that people seek games where there are better animations, more interactivity, and so on, and that they can actually be better than mature rated games.

@ bolded. You are saying that more mature people play "cartoony" games than kids play mature games, but creating such games is limiting Nintendo's appeal? You are contradicting yourself.

1) I agree and thats the point. When people pick games they are thinking about content which they find fun, not the age group stamped on the game and the thought of wanting to be a certain age group. - thats the whole debate.

2) I assumed sales2099 was not a kid. If true, I am not contradicting myself. Anyway, previously I mentioned it was possible for kids to buy mature games despite regulation and parenting. I played DOA and GTA when I was a kid, and it was a nice option to have because cartoony games wouldnt allow you to do half the stuff you could in those games. I played them because they were fun, not because I was a kid and wanted to do something only 18+'s could do.

1. Do they though? It seems that mature gamers who play "cartoony" games, are not dsimissing mature-rated titles simply because they are so, but instead avoiding mature titles which are so for the sake of being "mature" (which can lead to poorer gameplay). Whereas on the other side of the coin, gamers seeking mature-rated games seem to be more inclined to pass up a "cartoony" game based on its look rather than other content.

Though I wasn't stating the counter-view, but simply pointing out that your argument was superfluous.

2. Perhaps part of the fun came from playing something not intended for you. I hardly think it's debatable whether or not children desire mature things to appear more grown-up. One could even argue that mature-oriented games are subsequently marketed for children as well, given this desire.

Hankoney said:
jibbyjackjoe said:

You do know that:

a) There are at least 5.000 games aimed at adults not called Call of Duty?

b) Majority of them are not on Nintendo consoles

c) Both Barney and Elmo games are on Nintendo, along with Hello Kitty, Teletubbies, Peppa Pig, and add many hundreds of children's games on Nintendo platforms.

And d) I don't think I'm narrow minded, I'd just rather look at a nice pair of breasts and not at Yoshi and Kirby. 

The 360 has the greatest Seasame Street game of all time, so I dunno.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Because they've failed to mature with their fan base, who would have been children in the 80's and 90's

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ostro said:

I'd say one (out of many) reasons is that Nintendo systems have games on them and not virtual worlds/stories/entertainment. Most games on Nintendo systems are GAMES and you PLAY them (not experience, feel, be entertained, stare at visuals). GAME and PLAY are terms you'd relate to children, no adult would admit he likes playing if it wasn't for amazing virtual entertainment that is close to movies etc. That's also why every adult gamer is a "pro" at any game, it's never about luck or whatever you may call it, it's all skill! Games however, in classic thinking, are about luck and thinking/tactics at the same time so they don't get too boring. Games that are only about thinking have always been puzzles and even those can be about luck (which Tetris block is the next?).
Games in the classic sense of playing are bigger on Nintendo systems. It's not that the other consoles don't have games that are that way but they are not the big prominent uber-popular ones.

That has nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing. PC has more that than Nintendo. Nintendo has always been considered for children because of its marketing scheme. It aims it characters at children and families and doesnt go up to Teen with all of its first party.

Try reading and comprehending.

- One of many reasons

- "It's not that the other consoles don't have games that are that way but they are not the big prominent uber-popular ones."

So, wow, PC has lots of "games" but which of the games that are not hollywood-like blockbusters on PC are popular and really successful? Maybe Angry Birds for being a port, nice one. Or Minesweeper because it's on Windows? Great. Tell PC gamers they are playing on a system popular for childish games instead of shiny awesome cinematic stuff. Then try posting again.

Your post did nothing but support mine in terms of reality vs. image/marketing (I said "bigger" on Nintendo, not "more" btw). Thank you for that.