By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
VanceIX said:
mii-gamer said:

His whole comment doesn't hold merit. 

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered

Always? Last time I checked before the Wii- Nintendo home console had always been in the same ball park in terms of power in compaison to their competition from the SNES, N64 and gamecube.

Secondly, from the N64 Nintendo greenlighted many of Rares mature IPS such as killer instincts, Goldeneye, Jet Force gemini. Perfect Dark, conker's bad fur day plus Nintendo has Eternal Darkness, Geist and Project Zero (the ownership of the Ip is still questionable).

Furthermore, Manhunt 2 on Wii was not blocked by Nintendo.

Plus they are publishing a raunchy Bayonetta 2.

I'm sorry, when I said "always underpowered", I was referring to the last the last nine years. I messed up on the wording, but in recent years Nintendo has sacrificed power for higher profit-margins (Wii, DS, Wii U, 3DS).

Nintendo may not block certain games, but in recent years the amount of M-rated games published by Nintendo has been a mere fraction of Sony and Microsoft, and it is obvious that Nintendo does not endorse Mature games. Yes, they don't completely condone it either, but Nintendo has established its image as a family-friendly console, and it dosen't look like they are going to change anytime soon.

Well, this is better worded and does have merit.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

You said people are spreading opinions to keep others away from cartoony games.

What im saying is that even if those opinions were not spread and mature and cartoony games were seen equally to everyone, it still doesnt make sense to buy a system which mainly does cartoony games over a system which can offer both.

Basically, the opinions (which everyone is entitled to anyway) is not the problem, nintendo's lack of variety is.

No, I said the marketing's goal is to keep people away from Nintendo while luring them to Nintendo's competitors. Sega, Sony and Microsoft all had their own attempts at establishing a mascot like Mario, so it could never be about keeping people away from all cartoony games.

You know what this topic is about, right? Nintendo was the kiddie system even with Goldeneye 007 being one of the biggest games of its generation, as well as plenty of other FPS games on the N64. The question is why does this perception exist then. And my answer is that Nintendo's competitors always tried their best to get this belief into the heads of gamers.

A handful of mature games isnt enough to overturn the image they have been creating of themselves for half a century using defining games like mario.

Goldeneye was 4 generations and 17 years ago at a time when playstation was just getting started. Since then, how many mature games have they used to portray their brand? Things fade with time so customers need to be reminded. Nintendo havent done anything consistantly for the mature gamer for well over a decade. They cant just suddenly come up with 1 very good mature game and expect everyones perception of their brand to change.

If people do feel like playing cartoony games anytime, there is a fair share of them on PS and Xbox, most will not bother with a console which can offer cartoony games but is missing half the good mature games.

For children? Nope. OK for families, yep. HOWEVER, if you put Nintendoland in my Wii U and invite my friends over, the amount of "YOU MOTHER FUCKER"s that get screamed may make a sailor blush.

So, yeah.

The same reason Sony and Microsoft fans are considered to be targeted towards douchebags and dudebros, it's a stigma used to upset people.

User was moderated for this post - Conegamer

generic-user-1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
VanceIX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
VanceIX said:
Nintendo's policies on leaving out violence and sexuality is a reason they are sadly seen as children-only consoles. I personally appreciate their games, it's a fresh breath from the mindless gore and violence filling todays games.

However, it's also a reason why violent (but amazing) games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout won't be coming to Nintendo consoles anytime soon.

Elder Scrolls isnt coming to Nintendo consoles nor fallout because no Nintendo console has ever been up to par when they launched the titles on consoles. Nintendo is a non-entity because they don't play ball with the third party who push the limits. Nintendo though loved in the 90's was considered a joke to the PC realm and not even considered a threat at all. It wasnt until Sony that the PC realm became threatened, hence the Xbox.

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered, but even with the power to match the other consoles games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series won't come to Nintendo's consoles because of their strict and overbearing policies towards violence. 

Third party and second party can make mature games and RPG's for Nintendos consoles. There is no barrier outside what Nintendo creates for themselves. Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii U was it not?  Nintendo doesn't make mature titles themselves and thats the way they like it. The first party that Nintendo makes is what truly represents them, but they welcome third party as long as third party takes the back seat to their vison alone. Sony and MS get all the top third party titles because they work with third parties to make the consoles work well for both of their ideals.

As Bethesda said themselves on Bonus Round (on Gametrailers.com). Nintendo is to blame for the loss of certain games on their consoles because they did not take the time to prep the consoles according to not only what they had planned but what third parties had planned. Nintendo once again created an underpowered console and then asked third parties to make titles for it after, hence why you see the last gen games mainly surfacing on the console. Nintendo damned themselves.

bethesda games are made for the PC... they are so freaking buggy and ugly that u need tons of mods to make em run and look fine.

So you say, but a lot of Nintendo fans who might not want alternative consoles might want to play them. This is the end Nintendo has forced upon them because of their bubble like development they've had with their consoles and its not just Bethesda. You can lash out at as many devs as you want until you realize whose fault it really is. Their games are buggy, but they might not be this gen and it doesnt mean they arent fun either. Its not good to write off company just because the company you favor is closed off and never became an option.

Around the Network
Ostro said:

I'd say one (out of many) reasons is that Nintendo systems have games on them and not virtual worlds/stories/entertainment. Most games on Nintendo systems are GAMES and you PLAY them (not experience, feel, be entertained, stare at visuals). GAME and PLAY are terms you'd relate to children, no adult would admit he likes playing if it wasn't for amazing virtual entertainment that is close to movies etc. That's also why every adult gamer is a "pro" at any game, it's never about luck or whatever you may call it, it's all skill! Games however, in classic thinking, are about luck and thinking/tactics at the same time so they don't get too boring. Games that are only about thinking have always been puzzles and even those can be about luck (which Tetris block is the next?).
Games in the classic sense of playing are bigger on Nintendo systems. It's not that the other consoles don't have games that are that way but they are not the big prominent uber-popular ones.

That has nothing to do with it. Absolutely nothing. PC has more that than Nintendo. Nintendo has always been considered for children because of its marketing scheme. It aims it characters at children and families and doesnt go up to Teen with all of its first party.

jibbyjackjoe said:
For children? Nope. OK for families, yep. HOWEVER, if you put Nintendoland in my Wii U and invite my friends over, the amount of "YOU MOTHER FUCKER"s that get screamed may make a sailor blush.

So, yeah.

Pay attention to their color pallete and marketing schemes. Psychologically they are aimed for children and women.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
generic-user-1 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
VanceIX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
VanceIX said:
Nintendo's policies on leaving out violence and sexuality is a reason they are sadly seen as children-only consoles. I personally appreciate their games, it's a fresh breath from the mindless gore and violence filling todays games.

However, it's also a reason why violent (but amazing) games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout won't be coming to Nintendo consoles anytime soon.

Elder Scrolls isnt coming to Nintendo consoles nor fallout because no Nintendo console has ever been up to par when they launched the titles on consoles. Nintendo is a non-entity because they don't play ball with the third party who push the limits. Nintendo though loved in the 90's was considered a joke to the PC realm and not even considered a threat at all. It wasnt until Sony that the PC realm became threatened, hence the Xbox.

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered, but even with the power to match the other consoles games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series won't come to Nintendo's consoles because of their strict and overbearing policies towards violence. 

Third party and second party can make mature games and RPG's for Nintendos consoles. There is no barrier outside what Nintendo creates for themselves. Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii U was it not?  Nintendo doesn't make mature titles themselves and thats the way they like it. The first party that Nintendo makes is what truly represents them, but they welcome third party as long as third party takes the back seat to their vison alone. Sony and MS get all the top third party titles because they work with third parties to make the consoles work well for both of their ideals.

As Bethesda said themselves on Bonus Round (on Gametrailers.com). Nintendo is to blame for the loss of certain games on their consoles because they did not take the time to prep the consoles according to not only what they had planned but what third parties had planned. Nintendo once again created an underpowered console and then asked third parties to make titles for it after, hence why you see the last gen games mainly surfacing on the console. Nintendo damned themselves.

bethesda games are made for the PC... they are so freaking buggy and ugly that u need tons of mods to make em run and look fine.

So you say, but a lot of Nintendo fans who might not want alternative consoles might want to play them. This is the end Nintendo has forced upon them because of their bubble like development they've had with their consoles and its not just Bethesda. You can lash out at as many devs as you want until you realize whose fault it really is. Their games are buggy, but they might not be this gen and it doesnt mean they arent fun either. Its not good to write off company just because the company you favor is closed off and never became an option.

im in love with bethesda for over 10 years. i realy like the games, but tey are realy realy buggy and that will not change.

if u play em vanilla it just sucks.

when Iwata appears in a nintendo direct using a green luigi's hat, the president talks to their customers in that matter, even if the customers aren't children he appeals to the children inside us grown men... so its easy to come to the conclusion that nintendo is aimed at children.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

awesomeabe1998 said:

I was wondering this almost ever since I got a Wii U. Now I know Nintendo have franchises with cartoon mascots like Mario and Donkey Kong but why is Nintendo childish for having these franchises while Sony has Knack, Little Big Planet and had Crash Bandicoot? Is it the name "Nintendo" that bugs people? I have never seen a child who mastered Call of Duty or BF master Mario.

So what is it?

There's a certain age group of people out there that will say that Nintendo systems are for kids.  These are the same people who wait in line at midnight to pick up the latest call of duty so they can cap another human in the head at 1000 yards.  I'm well past that age and will tell you that anyone who says that Nintendo consoles are only for kids are ignorant.  I would say that Nintendo console systems are excellent for the whole family.

Stop hating and start playing.