By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
fps_d0minat0r said:

tbh ive seen more people state their reason for playing nintendo games because they are not mature games than mature gamers saying they dont play nintendo games because they are cartoony.

Its become unthinkable for many to accept that mature rated games can simply be better than cartoony games (im not saying all are), and instead go around making excuses about how people have limited their content to just mature games.

and this goes back to the previous point I made, more mature gamers play cartoony games than kids play mature games. mature gamers ARE playing a wider range of games than kids, so its just a non issue which you are blowing out of proportion.

If some people like sales2099 dont feel nintendo offer similar content to that found in other games and therefore he does play then whats the problem with that? Its nintendo's fault for making too many of the same type of games. They are the ones limiting their own appeal. Not everyone HAS to like cartoony games, and the reason isnt because they are cartoony, its often related with the satisfaction gained from the game. It doesnt take very long before jumping on an enemy to watch them disappear gets boring, eventually people seek games where there are better animations, more interactivity, and so on.

@ underlined. The same argument could be made for "cartoony" games, that people seek games where there are better animations, more interactivity, and so on, and that they can actually be better than mature rated games.

@ bolded. You are saying that more mature people play "cartoony" games than kids play mature games, but creating such games is limiting Nintendo's appeal? You are contradicting yourself.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
joel1989 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
joel1989 said:
it all started with the gamecube looking like a purple lunch box,, then the wii took it to the next level.

No. Videogames had always been consider to be a product for kids until the Playstation came out and changed peoples mentality as to what a videogame console did.Nintendo was always seen as a toy back then. Sony brought the multimedia aspect to gaming and used it as a central hub. Before that Nintendo was basically every Toys R Us and every toy stores dream in the 90's until EB and other gaming stores came out. Nintendo has always aimed at children and families with their marketing. If anything was mature it wasnt first party.

can't agree with you there, yea playstation made gaming more mainstream, but eventually it was gonna get there because graphics and games were getting more advanced so they appeal to grown ups more, it was always bound to happen, n64 propbably had the best game for adults, its called golden eye 007.

Nintendo was never considered cool. Hate to break it to you but even Sega was considered the cool system for teens back in the 90's even though it failed to beat Nintendo. Nintendo has always been the family friendly console. I'm sure many of you here have taken a marketing class and taken classes on target demographics. Nintendo has always chased children and families and no, the N64 was not aimed at adults. This is not an opinion. They learned how to focus on a specific target market with characters from Disney. They used to license cards for children before they even laid their hands on a  videogame console. You can like Nintendo as an adult, but thats because Nintendo is trying to appeal to the inner child of most families but are mostly focused on children. They want you to sit with your family and friends and enjoy a friendly game or sometimes even a single player game or two. They still to this day are focused on family couch gameplay.

P.S.

Nintendo doesnt make games for adults. The highest they go is Teen. They fund second party to make their mature rated games. This is what Rares job was. Nintendo themselves dont go beyond Everyone to a Teen rating for first party. Look at Bayonetta.....thats second party. They know they need a more mature image and need "cool" games so they are paying outsiders to do what they wont. Goldeneye was a second party Rare title made for Nintendo. If Nintendo was so sure they wanted to make mature titles with violence they would do it themselves, but that would tarnish their image which is essentially squeaky clean.

it doesn't really matter if nintendo makes games for adults or not, as long as they have third party support and they will make the mature games. the reason n64 wasn't a success was because nintendo didn't care about thrid party developers, they went with cartridges, when third party's wanted them to go with the cd format, making games much cheaper, and easier for developers. sony didn't make any mature games on playstation, unless your talking about gran turismo.

mysteryman said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

tbh ive seen more people state their reason for playing nintendo games because they are not mature games than mature gamers saying they dont play nintendo games because they are cartoony.

Its become unthinkable for many to accept that mature rated games can simply be better than cartoony games (im not saying all are), and instead go around making excuses about how people have limited their content to just mature games.

and this goes back to the previous point I made, more mature gamers play cartoony games than kids play mature games. mature gamers ARE playing a wider range of games than kids, so its just a non issue which you are blowing out of proportion.

If some people like sales2099 dont feel nintendo offer similar content to that found in other games and therefore he does play then whats the problem with that? Its nintendo's fault for making too many of the same type of games. They are the ones limiting their own appeal. Not everyone HAS to like cartoony games, and the reason isnt because they are cartoony, its often related with the satisfaction gained from the game. It doesnt take very long before jumping on an enemy to watch them disappear gets boring, eventually people seek games where there are better animations, more interactivity, and so on.

@ underlined. The same argument could be made for "cartoony" games, that people seek games where there are better animations, more interactivity, and so on, and that they can actually be better than mature rated games.

@ bolded. You are saying that more mature people play "cartoony" games than kids play mature games, but creating such games is limiting Nintendo's appeal? You are contradicting yourself.

1) I agree and thats the point. When people pick games they are thinking about content which they find fun, not the age group stamped on the game and the thought of wanting to be a certain age group. - thats the whole debate.

2) I assumed sales2099 was not a kid. If true, I am not contradicting myself. Anyway, previously I mentioned it was possible for kids to buy mature games despite regulation and parenting. I played DOA and GTA when I was a kid, and it was a nice option to have because cartoony games wouldnt allow you to do half the stuff you could in those games. I played them because they were fun, not because I was a kid and wanted to do something only 18+'s could do.

joel1989 said:
VanceIX said:

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered, but even with the power to match the other consoles games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series won't come to Nintendo's consoles because of their strict and overbearing policies towards violence. 

resident evil 4 was on gamecube and wii, so how does nintedno have strict policies on violence?

His whole comment doesn't hold merit. 

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered

Always? Last time I checked before the Wii- Nintendo home console had always been in the same ball park in terms of power in compaison to their competition from the SNES, N64 and gamecube.

Secondly, from the N64 Nintendo greenlighted many of Rares mature IPS such as killer instincts, Goldeneye, Jet Force gemini. Perfect Dark, conker's bad fur day plus Nintendo has Eternal Darkness, Geist and Project Zero (the ownership of the Ip is still questionable).

Furthermore, Manhunt 2 on Wii was not blocked by Nintendo.

Plus they are publishing a raunchy Bayonetta 2.

RolStoppable said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

The problem with sales2099 would be what I talked about in the preceding paragraph; and GeneralMLD is, bluntly put, an immature fanboy. The desire to be grown up directly contradicted by his own actions.

It's exactly this kind of people who are exploited by Nintendo's competitors and will gladly pass on that marketing message to others, thus continuously reinforcing the notion that Nintendo is for children, and children only. Or if Nintendo breaks out of this endless cycle with systems like the Wii and DS, all the adults who play Nintendo will be labeled as casuals in order to maintain the message that people who game on PlayStation or Xbox are superior. Because at its core it's all about portraying Nintendo as an inferior option. Sega, Sony, Microsoft, they all did it; and easily manipulated people ran with it. Back then those Sega gamers deprived themselves of the SNES goodness, nowadays those people play Sony's Nintendo game knockoffs and Kinect titles while telling themselves that those games are better than what Nintendo offers. Or they really only play M-rated stuff, plus the occasional sports and racing game.

Even if we assume a scenario where all mature and cartoony games are equal, why shouldnt anyone buy a system which has a balance of both, and instead buy a system which does cartoony games well, but has the worse versions of multiplatform mature games (if it ever does get a port)?

It still wouldnt add up.

Around the Network

RolStoppable said:

The problem with sales2099 would be what I talked about in the preceding paragraph; and GeneralMLD is, bluntly put, an immature fanboy. The desire to be grown up directly contradicted by his own actions.

It's exactly this kind of people who are exploited by Nintendo's competitors and will gladly pass on that marketing message to others, thus continuously reinforcing the notion that Nintendo is for children, and children only. Or if Nintendo breaks out of this endless cycle with systems like the Wii and DS, all the adults who play Nintendo will be labeled as casuals in order to maintain the message that people who game on PlayStation or Xbox are superior. Because at its core it's all about portraying Nintendo as an inferior option. Sega, Sony, Microsoft, they all did it; and easily manipulated people ran with it. Back then those Sega gamers deprived themselves of the SNES goodness, nowadays those people play Sony's Nintendo game knockoffs and Kinect titles while telling themselves that those games are better than what Nintendo offers. Or they really only play M-rated stuff, plus the occasional sports and racing game.

No need for Nintendo players to feel inferior, but, no offense intended, it seems to me throughout all the Nintendo debates (not just here on VGC) it is those Nintendo fans who somehow have an inferiority complex, trying to convince people that they are not childish because they like to play cartoony games like Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokemon etc.

Nobody that has a PS or XBox is going around chest-poundingly exclaiming to be a superior person. Nobody that plays PS or XBox does it to feel mature, because most of them - ARE mature. Playing a game is not because of superiority, but because of FUN! And I have a lot more fun playing GTA, Uncharted, Left 4 Dead or even Lollipop Chainsaw then I would have playing Super Mario, Wii Sports or Pokemon XY. And for the same reason I DON'T play CoD, Halo or KillZone - all those games are not fun, and I don't feel like wasting that little free time I have on such games.

It just happens that Nintendo likes to publish the "immature" games (as opposite tio those dreaded "mature" ones).

Also, bolded, it is not portraying Nintendo as an inferior option, Nintendo really IS an inferior option. It has a weaker lineup of games, it has an inferior online component, it has a clunky and unwieldy controller. It doesn't have a lot of popular games, and even if it does they are of weaker production values. In the end, Nintendo is a superior option, only to the people who enjoy the aforementioned games, and shun the "mature" material.

It seems to me that the problem is not in people who play M games to "feel mature", it is mature people who play nothing but Nintendo because they are afraid to give up on their childhood innocence.

Finally, just so I can put my writing into perspective: I am 40 years old, so I have no need to "feel mature". But I also have no desire to play games that would be more fitting for my daughters' enjoyment. And believe me, when you're 40 and play games, nobody else considers you "mature". As far as the general population is concerned, any video-game is childish and immature, even if you play Resident Evil, GTA, Gears of War or God of War. Your peers just look at you as childish, anyway.

RolStoppable said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Even if we assume a scenario where all mature and cartoony games are equal, why shouldnt anyone buy a system which has a balance of both, and instead buy a system which does cartoony games well, but has the worse versions of multiplatform mature games (if it ever does get a port)?

It still wouldnt add up.

What are you talking about now?

You said people are spreading opinions to keep others away from cartoony games.

What im saying is that even if those opinions were not spread and mature and cartoony games were seen equally to everyone, it still doesnt make sense to buy a system which mainly does cartoony games over a system which can offer both.

Basically, the opinions (which everyone is entitled to anyway) is not the problem, nintendo's lack of variety is.

Oh, btw, this is the latest Nintendo news

mii-gamer said:
joel1989 said:
VanceIX said:

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered, but even with the power to match the other consoles games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series won't come to Nintendo's consoles because of their strict and overbearing policies towards violence. 

resident evil 4 was on gamecube and wii, so how does nintedno have strict policies on violence?

His whole comment doesn't hold merit. 

I agree that Nintendo consoles have always been seriously underpowered

Always? Last time I checked before the Wii- Nintendo home console had always been in the same ball park in terms of power in compaison to their competition from the SNES, N64 and gamecube.

Secondly, from the N64 Nintendo greenlighted many of Rares mature IPS such as killer instincts, Goldeneye, Jet Force gemini. Perfect Dark, conker's bad fur day plus Nintendo has Eternal Darkness, Geist and Project Zero (the ownership of the Ip is still questionable).

Furthermore, Manhunt 2 on Wii was not blocked by Nintendo.

Plus they are publishing a raunchy Bayonetta 2.

I'm sorry, when I said "always underpowered", I was referring to the last the last nine years. I messed up on the wording, but in recent years Nintendo has sacrificed power for higher profit-margins (Wii, DS, Wii U, 3DS).

Nintendo may not block certain games, but in recent years the amount of M-rated games published by Nintendo has been a mere fraction of Sony and Microsoft, and it is obvious that Nintendo does not endorse Mature games. Yes, they don't completely condone it either, but Nintendo has established its image as a family-friendly console, and it dosen't look like they are going to change anytime soon.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I'd say one (out of many) reasons is that Nintendo systems have games on them and not virtual worlds/stories/entertainment. Most games on Nintendo systems are GAMES and you PLAY them (not experience, feel, be entertained, stare at visuals). GAME and PLAY are terms you'd relate to children, no adult would admit he likes playing if it wasn't for amazing virtual entertainment that is close to movies etc. That's also why every adult gamer is a "pro" at any game, it's never about luck or whatever you may call it, it's all skill! Games however, in classic thinking, are about luck and thinking/tactics at the same time so they don't get too boring. Games that are only about thinking have always been puzzles and even those can be about luck (which Tetris block is the next?).
Games in the classic sense of playing are bigger on Nintendo systems. It's not that the other consoles don't have games that are that way but they are not the big prominent uber-popular ones.