By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
RolStoppable said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

Being a fan of a mature game is not the same as putting down cartoony games.

Even if your theory is true, what about about the other way? You provide the very evidence which suggest that those who play cartoony games see themselves above those who play mature games.

Indeed, it's not the same, hence why I said what I said.

Consequently, I don't provide the evidence you speak of. However, I obviously do see myself as better as those who refuse to play games because of certain age ratings and/or fear that they could be considered childish for playing those games.

I dont think you understand the situation.

Adults are able to and do play mature AND cartoony games.

Children play cartoony games but are not always able to play mature games either because retailers refuse to sell to them or their parents only buy their kids games based on age rating.

Everyone has played childrens at one time or another, but not everyone has played mature games. While there are some people who never go back to cartoony games, its pointless saying its because they like to feel grown up because the truth might just be as simple as liking more complex physics or more gore.

e.g. if you are a racing enthusiast whose played mario kart and gran turismo, but then stop playing mario kart, it doesnt mean you want to feel grown up, it means you want to drive a car or cart with physics which mario kart cant offer.

Likewise, no-one goes around labelling people who pick mario kart over GT as wanting to be kids, because they might prefer a racing experience where handling physics is not main focus of the game.

The BS that people pick games to fit a stereotype needs to stop. People do not play video games for years and years just to claim they are grown up, they do it because the level of entertainment they are getting is unmatched by anything else they have tried.

Around the Network

it all started with the gamecube looking like a purple lunch box,, then the wii took it to the next level.

The content Nintendo mainly focuses on is to make games that kids can play and that their parents will buy for them. There is no only for kids label on it so it is no big fucken deal.

joel1989 said:
it all started with the gamecube looking like a purple lunch box,, then the wii took it to the next level.

No. Videogames had always been consider to be a product for kids until the Playstation came out and changed peoples mentality as to what a videogame console did.Nintendo was always seen as a toy back then. Sony brought the multimedia aspect to gaming and used it as a central hub. Before that Nintendo was basically every Toys R Us and every toy stores dream in the 90's until EB and other gaming stores came out. Nintendo has always aimed at children and families with their marketing. If anything was mature it wasnt first party.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
joel1989 said:

No. Videogames had always been consider to be a product for kids until the Playstation came out and changed peoples mentality as to what a videogame console did.Nintendo was always seen as a toy back then. Sony brought the multimedia aspect to gaming and used it as a central hub. Before that Nintendo was basically every Toys R Us and every toy stores dream in the 90's until EB and other gaming stores came out. Nintendo has always aimed at children and families with their marketing. If anything was mature it wasnt first party.

can't agree with you there, yea playstation made gaming more mainstream, but eventually it was gonna get there because graphics and games were getting more advanced so they appeal to grown ups more, it was always bound to happen, n64 propbably had the best game for adults, its called golden eye 007.

Around the Network

It's because of the way Nintendo markets its products and the way Nintendo is marketed against.

Some of the responses in this thread sadden me. Don't deny yourself enjoyment from something because of what others may think. Just be true to yourself, don't care for what others think, and your life will be filled with joy.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

ICStats said:
Hankoney said:
Zero999 said:

Nintendo isn't considered for children. Haters simply can't stop hating and try to defame nintendo. just see the trend, first they say it's for children, then nintendo easily won the 7th generation and they had to quicly come up with another crap. That's when the "casual/non gamer/not a 7th gen console" stupidity begun.

But it isn't stupidity, it's a fact. It's enough to check the sales of Wii games to see that all top games are either casual or kids games (Fit, Dance, Mario, LEGO...)

The first game that even remotely isn't aimed at kids or granies is Call of Duty 3 in the 53rd place, followed by Resident Evil 4 in 55th, both of them selling barely over 2 million out of 100 million consoles.

^ This.

And while people love to point out Wii easily won the generation, which it did, statistics also show it as the least played console.  That's another reason we "quickly came up with other crap" to explain why people don't play their Wii: People bought on hype then lost interest, especially casual / non gamers.  Beside polls also indicate that to be the case.

Also because Nintendo didn't feel the need to catch up with the HD movement. The wii became the biggest dust collector in gaming. Which left a sour taste in their mouths. 

Well Nintendo has fostered that certain family friendly image for years, as it is a desirable and profitable demographic. Nothing wrong with that, though it does carry an odd sort of stigma with it.

Nintendo's policies on leaving out violence and sexuality is a reason they are sadly seen as children-only consoles. I personally appreciate their games, it's a fresh breath from the mindless gore and violence filling todays games.

However, it's also a reason why violent (but amazing) games like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout won't be coming to Nintendo consoles anytime soon.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Wii and DS did will with nearly every imaginable age demographic, so Nintendo theoretically should have a "family-friendly" image, not "kids only". In theory. After all, the general public is not exactly known for its perceptiveness. :/

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero