By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
hsrob said:
RolStoppable said:
Because this notion established itself as the best weapon of competitors against Nintendo. Sega did it, Sony did it, Microsoft did it. It's easy exploitation of the people who wish to be grown up.

Pretty much this.

You actually believe it?

So youre saying im playing games like killzone and god of war just so that I can say im grown up? The difference in content over nintendo games and the entertainment value bears no meaning?

I'd say the notion of accusing someone of playing games to justify their age group is to defend nintendo for the content they have no sign of making.

I also play cartoony games like littlebigplanet and modnation racers. I think they're fun but I dont see why the only explanation of expanding my preference of games should be 'wishing to be grown up'.

Around the Network

Nintendo isn't considered for children. Haters simply can't stop hating and try to defame nintendo. just see the trend, first they say it's for children, then nintendo easily won the 7th generation and they had to quicly come up with another crap. That's when the "casual/non gamer/not a 7th gen console" stupidity begun.

Is Nintendo considered for children? Yes. Maybe unfairly idk, I don't buy Nintendo products for that reason. I bought a 3DS for about 2 weeks. During that time my parents, friends and every one that knew me all gave me grief and sent me a pretty clear message that I was playing kids games. They actively tried to make me feel terrible for owning a 3DS. My dad even suggested that I go back to playing call of duty -- to be frank, it was really embarrassing.

I would have kept the 3DS if it had games I liked. It did not so I got rid of it. Games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and every game on the 3DS library is made for kids as proven by their marketing efforts. Do you know why Xbox One commercials can show 30+ year old men playing Titanfall, but if Nintendo did the same thing with Animal Crossing it would be creepy?

According to Nielson, the Wii was most popular with kids 6-11 and the 3DS and DS is more popular with those under 13.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2009/every-gaming-system-has-its-fans-but-women-like-wii.html

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/newswire/2011/us-kids-looking-forward-to-iholiday-2011.html

Of course we already knew this. The first link is really interesting though as it shows that the average PlayStation and 360 owner aren't chidlren as some people like to think.

fps_d0minat0r said:
hsrob said:
RolStoppable said:
Because this notion established itself as the best weapon of competitors against Nintendo. Sega did it, Sony did it, Microsoft did it. It's easy exploitation of the people who wish to be grown up.

Pretty much this.

You actually believe it?

So youre saying im playing games like killzone and god of war just so that I can say im grown up? The difference in content over nintendo games and the entertainment value bears no meaning?

I'd say the notion of accusing someone of playing games to justify their age group is to defend nintendo for the content they have no sign of making.

I also play cartoony games like littlebigplanet and modnation racers. I think they're fun but I dont see why the only explanation of expanding my preference of games should be 'wishing to be grown up'.

I wouldn't say there aren't other reasons for playing those games. The question was, "Why is Nintendo considered for children?"

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

I've always considered Nintendo for everyone. Many of its marquee games are rated as such and speak to a large audience of consumers, young and old, male and female, beginner and expert.

I think the better, more thought-provoking question is this: why are Sony and Microsoft considered for adults?

Around the Network
AstroGamer said:
t started back on the SNES when Nintendo put its own rating system on it causing games like Mortal Kombat to have green ooze instead of blood. Nintendo hardware and software just tends to sell better with kids. The titles they put in the forefront are all pretty much kiddy titles. Only recently have they been pushing more mature titles

the software that sells better with kids are the likes of cod, so no. and nintendo games aren't kiddy. people have to learn or stop ignoring the difference between being for kids and being for everyone.

It obviously isn't, but its biggest franchises ever, Mario, Pokémon and Wii-whatever games have quite childish graphics, and to make things worse, in the past adult games on Ninty consoles were watered down by a bigot censorship. That censorship ended many years ago, but it lasted long enough to influence the company's perceived image also many years later. BTW, having kiddy graphics in SOME of a company's biggest franchises wouldn't make it be perceived as childish, but if this happens to the top 3 and to many others in the top 10 too, then it becomes easier to perceive the whole company as children-oriented.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Zero999 said:

Nintendo isn't considered for children. Haters simply can't stop hating and try to defame nintendo. just see the trend, first they say it's for children, then nintendo easily won the 7th generation and they had to quicly come up with another crap. That's when the "casual/non gamer/not a 7th gen console" stupidity begun.

But it isn't stupidity, it's a fact. It's enough to check the sales of Wii games to see that all top games are either casual or kids games (Fit, Dance, Mario, LEGO...)

The first game that even remotely isn't aimed at kids or granies is Call of Duty 3 in the 53rd place, followed by Resident Evil 4 in 55th, both of them selling barely over 2 million out of 100 million consoles.

Hankoney said:
Nintendo is childish, all of their main franchises are cartoonish and child friendly. All of their ads feature those characters.
I believe N has two target markets - little kids and grown up nostalgics that have started playing N games 15-20 years ago and are for some inexplicable reason still attached to those franchises of their youth.
That' s why there are 70 billion Mario and Luigi sequels, 5 trillion Donkey Kongs and what, some 800 Pokemon "gotta have them all" figurines for that childish OCD suffering grownups.
I can see no other reason for a person to play Donkey Kong in his 30s other than that desperate grip on his fleezing childhood.

And that is the reason why every Nintendo console sells worse than the previous, because their install base grows up. Most quit games altogether, while others just move on to adult oriented games on XBox and PS.
Wii is the exception to the trend, because it managed to reel in a lot of kiddie/granny population through their gimmicks.

Unfortunatelly, even if N wanted to change public's perception, it's too late. It will forever be a platform for my daughters and nieces to play Barbie and Peppa Pig games.

Pretty soon, in the next 3-5 years, even those most hardcore nostalgics will finally grow up and move onto other hobbies, or even real life, and Nintendo will cease to exist as a gaming platform for anyone over 12.

bolded: that made me laugh. game quality isn't inexplicable.

Hankoney said:
Zero999 said:

But it isn't stupidity, it's a fact. It's enough to check the sales of Wii games to see that all top games are either casual or kids games (Fit, Dance, Mario, LEGO...)

The first game that even remotely isn't aimed at kids or granies is Call of Duty 3 in the 53rd place, followed by Resident Evil 4 in 55th, both of them selling barely over 2 million out of 100 million consoles.

bolded: there's no such thing.

but I know you're not being seroius.