By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418

Because Nintendo dares to use colors other than brown and grey in their games. Shocking, I know.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Around the Network

I'd say the word inclusive is more appropriate than childish

TK14 said:
Because Nintendo dares to use colors other than brown and grey in their games. Shocking, I know.

Would be much more shocking to see them use those colours in lets say a fps, damn imagine a colourful rpg with mature content and story.  My god even uhhhhh complex relationships yet with CoLouR. 

Because they have commercials with kids trying to convince their parents than the Wii U is an upgrade.

Because, they ARE for kids. The vast majority of their games are for ages 3 and up. Mario, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and while Pokemon and Zelda are a bit more complex they're still fine for younger audiences. I think Fire Emblem is their only slightly more mature franchise, maybe a bit of Metroid too.

Meanwhile, Microsoft and Sony focus heavily on the likes of Halo, Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War, Killzone, Infamous, etc. Sure, Sony also have LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet and Clank, but they still put most of their weight behind their more mature games.

Around the Network
iceland said:
Maybe it's because Nintendo actually promotes their consoles as such?

Because unlike Sony or Microsoft most of their games, particularly the most popular ones, are NOT catered exclusively to an adult audience.

When something isn't adults-only it's automatically labeled kid-friendly.

ktay95 said:
AshKetchum1992 said:

I can't believe Nintendo really designed a console thinking of portability XD just imagine how it would've been carrying an Xbox XD

Dont have to imagine, used to carry my mates Xbox back and forth all the time. Dont really know why though, we only ever really played games that we could buy on PS2 anyway and we both owned and prefered the PS2 =P

Back in the Xbox days we used to bring Xboxes over friends' house for Halo LAN parties. System Link is the sh*t.

Because older players without self-respect are afraid to be judged for playing cartoony looking games.

Is this a serious question?

It's historical on one hand, but also it's plastered in nearly everything they do. Their games are designed to appeal to the widest possible demographic, and that means they're designed to be child friendly. Even games which are arguably harder in difficulty than more "mature" titles (e.g. Zelda vs Assassins Creed, Halo vs Metroid), the art-style and marketing make them appear as child-friendly as possible so parents feel comfortable purchasing the game for their child.