By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Is Nintendo Considered For Children?

Do you consider Nintendo for children?

Yes 207 49.52%

No 211 50.48%

Total:418
awesomeabe1998 said:
bubblegamer said:
Maybe because Nintendo ads are full of children and families! Sony has Knack, LBP and Crash, but they also have the likes of Kratos, Drake and Sweettooth who are all adult and have nothing to do with kids. MS is all adult.

Which is why Sony has the best of both worlds and the sales have been reflecting since the day of Playstation's conception.

Nintendo has Mario Kirby and Dk but they also have the likes of Metroid LoZ and Star Fox and F Zero.

Yes, but those are games kids could and would love to play. Look at their rating. I've never seen a kid wanting to play Kratos! My nephew of 11 always has a DS and wanted a Wii when he was younger, but never once said the same about Uncharted.

Around the Network
awesomeabe1998 said:

30 games on 3 consoles. Oh and SSB4 features Mario but is not a mario game. Nintendo land features Mario but is not a Mario game.

"30 mario and spin off "

thus i said that. 

By the way over 90 since 2000 mario and mario spin offs and featuring mario.

awesomeabe1998 said:
bubblegamer said:
Maybe because Nintendo ads are full of children and families! Sony has Knack, LBP and Crash, but they also have the likes of Kratos, Drake and Sweettooth who are all adult and have nothing to do with kids. MS is all adult.

Which is why Sony has the best of both worlds and the sales have been reflecting since the day of Playstation's conception.

Nintendo has Mario Kirby and Dk but they also have the likes of Metroid LoZ and Star Fox and F Zero.

An earlier comment already explained to you why that comparison doesn't work. Those games are not as mature and they are far outweighed by how many games come out for things like Mario. Popularity also plays a big role in it. Many things have happened to make Nintendo seem like it's for children. Ads, games, hardware, ratings, etc... It's just the way it is. Nintendo doesn't want it any other way either, they want kids to buy their games. 

bubblegamer said:
awesomeabe1998 said:
bubblegamer said:

Yes, but those are games kids could and would love to play. Look at their rating. I've never seen a kid wanting to play Kratos! My nephew of 11 always has a DS and wanted a Wii when he was younger, but never once said the same about Uncharted.

My relatives that are children love games like LoU and GoW. I guess at the end its all about preferenece.

veritaz said:
awesomeabe1998 said:
bubblegamer said:
Maybe because Nintendo ads are full of children and families! Sony has Knack, LBP and Crash, but they also have the likes of Kratos, Drake and Sweettooth who are all adult  have nothing to do with kids. MS is all adult.

An earlier comment already explained to you why that comparison doesn't work. Those games are not as mature and they are far outweighed by how many games come out for things like Mario. Popularity also plays a big role in it. Many things have happened to make Nintendo seem like it's for children. Ads, games, hardware, ratings, etc... It's just the way it is. Nintendo doesn't want it any other way either, they want kids to buy their games. 

Obviously when you count every single Mario game it is unbalanced but Mario games are counted under Mario rather than 100 Marios. Mario is one franchise as a whole. Netroid is too. Zelda Fatal Frame F Zero and Star Fox are all Individual franchises.

Around the Network

It started because Nintendo asked for the first Mortal Kombat for SNES to have the blood and some of the more brutal fatalities removed. Sega jumped on that tried to brand the Genesis as the mature console while Nintendo was the wimpy baby console. The other Mortal Kombat games for SNES had the blood and fatalities but it was too late. The damage was done. The actual ratio of mature content is no different between Nintendo and other consoles.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

novasonic said:
 The actual ratio of mature content is no different between Nintendo and other consoles.

ohh really, prove it.

awesomeabe1998 said:

I was wondering this almost ever since I got a Wii U. Now I know Nintendo have franchises with cartoon mascots like Mario and Donkey Kong but why is Nintendo childish for having these franchises while Sony has Knack, Little Big Planet and had Crash Bandicoot? Is it the name "Nintendo" that bugs people? I have never seen a child who mastered Call of Duty or BF master Mario.

So what is it?

None of these titles have been put forward as the defining game or franchise for PS. KZ: Shadowfall was the most promoted first party game for PS4, then came Knack and arguably inFamous Second Son was as equally promoted as Knack pre-launch. On PS3 it was Uncharted, GoW, KZ, Resistance all marketed more strongly than LBP. And of course the perennial franchise for brand PS is Gran Turismo.

Difficulty to master is not what defines kiddie vs mature.

The top 3 brand defining franchises for Nintendo are, and seem to have always been:

1 Mario - kiddie style, G rated.

2 Pokemon - kiddie style, G rated.

3 LoZ - kiddie style, G rated.

Nintendo seems to be living in the past where it was older kids and young teens who got their parents to buy them a console and it was the G-rated cartoony  games that attracted the sales. But that ended in the mid 90's when gaming became an adult pastime too, and now it's the dad (usually) who decides what console to get because he wants to play the "mature" content games, but as a sop to the wifey he points out all the cool kids games that the young'uns can play too, and promptly proceeds not to buy them, mostly.

Can Nintendo pull its head out of the past? I dunno. It would mean replacing one of the top 3 brand defining franchises wth something that directly appeals to the dad (and dude) gamers, and it needs to be a must have game. Nintendo needs its own Uncharted, or God of War, or Halo, or Gears of War to excite that segment of the market. And it needs the full force of Nintendo marketing behind it. Though what marketing does Nintendo really do. They have mostly relied on the fact that Mario and Pokemon market themselves.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

awesomeabe1998 said:
veritaz said:
awesomeabe1998 said:

Obviously when you count every single Mario game it is unbalanced but Mario games are counted under Mario rather than 100 Marios. Mario is one franchise as a whole. Netroid is too. Zelda Fatal Frame F Zero and Star Fox are all Individual franchises.

That's not the point. The point is that many things have happened for Nintendo to seem like it's for children. It's hard to say what had the most influence when so many things have happened. 

BeElite said:
novasonic said:
 The actual ratio of mature content is no different between Nintendo and other consoles.

ohh really, prove it.

I'd also say that the ratio of children and adults that own the consoles is no different either. That would all take an insane amount of time to chart out though.. There are so many things that can be considered mature content. Being M rated is a big factor, but isn't the only factor. I've played T or even sometimes E rated games that deal with some pretty heavy issues.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m