I want a sequel to Sonic Generations! D:

I want a sequel to Sonic Heroes D:

Sonic Boom???

I guess you could say Sonic Boom is an indirect sequel

Current consoles: Wii U, Gaming PC

Add me on Wii U! Adamjh99

Add me on Steam! GamingByAdam

Around the Network

You don't have to agree with me. Here's my opinion on Mario vs Sonic series.

I love both series, but lets get real here. Mario has always had the more dumbed down/overly simplified gameplay and cheesy/cornball soundtracks until Galaxy came along. Since day 1 Sonic has had some of the best tunes of all time in gamings history. 

Therefore the responses don't surprise me here.

The gap between Sonic (Mega/Sega) CD (Also not mentioned in this thread) (1993) then Sonic & Knuckles (1994) and Sonic Adventure Sega Dreamcast (1998) was terrible for the franchise imho. 4-5 year gap was just to much for such a huge franchise for Sega.

Sonic 06's real world setting was just plain silly/dumb idea imho as well. It's a cartoon game and should always remain in that spirit.

Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors are amazing, and true to the originals imho.

IMHO ever since Galaxy 2 for the Wii, Mario games have been on the decline for me. I'm still waiting for SMG3 ;) Almost 4 years now Nintendo o,0. No wonder the Wii U is having problems like the Sega Dreamcast...no real Mascot game after 4-5 years (SMG3) can really hurt your system (Wii U). It's all in the history books people. Nintendo is doing a Sega imho, you don't have to agree with me people it is what it is.

I wa always a Sonic guy.......
Sonic The Hedgehog was and is still an amazing game. Brings back so many great Genesis memories.
Sonic 2, 3 were also awesome titles.
When Sega released news of Sonic 3 + Knuckles I almost lost it...... OMFG that cartridge connection was so full of awesomness...

Sonic Generations is the best sonic game ever since.

Sonic for the win.

Nintentacle said:
All my opinions:
Sonic's first trilogy is better
Sonic's first 3D game is better
Galaxy = Sonic Unleashed
Galaxy 2 is better than Colors
3D World is better than Lost World
Mario has way better spinoff games

Winner: Mario. Although Sonic's design (Even the Sonic Boom one) is a lot better than Mario's.

You are insane.

I am choosing  Mario simply because there are too many medicore/bad Sonic games out there! Don't get me wrong, I do love Sonic games like the original Genesis trilogy and Sonic Generations, but I can't choose Sonic when games like Sonic 06 and Sonic & the Black Knight exist! I hope the Sonic fanbase won't kill me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Sonic has/had a good run but Mario is in a whole different league that Sonic wishes he was in ;o.

Yeah look at what league of popularity the Wii U is in currently with all the 2D Marios and Isometric 3D marios, the demand is through the roof! Instead of a true/real 3D like Mario 64/Galaxy did. 

You're so right. Fans know what is the best true 3D Mario, 2D versions are fun but they do not "GRAB" us Maio fans like teh true 3D ones have of the past. I don't even know why they call it Mario unless Miyamoto truely isn't the one designing them either. Oh yeah cash grabs are easy dolla dolla billz, and they get away with it all the time, but people are seeing behind the facade with the Wii U this time.

Mario might always be considered better than Sonic (It came first anyway), but Sonic has been coming on stronger imho. Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed, Sonic Lost World. Even Sonic Boom looks excellent. The Sonic series has been doing better than the Mario series as of late imho. Everything that has came out after SMG2 (2010) has been completely uninteresting to me, that's 4 years. From Sonic colors 2010 to now has been good games for the Sonic franchise. So for me it's Sonic until we get some solid true 3D Marios from Miyamoto, but he's obviously burnt out on it or needed a long break.

I have to give it to Mario, though I personally prefer Sonic.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mario, I never really quite liked the level design in Sonic games.

BasilZero said:

I never said anything about the popularity of the WiiU nor did my post mean anything related to it, popularity of a system means nothing especially if the sales of the software speaks for itself which it does.

The WiiU is failing not because of the lack of quality of the mario games, its failing because of the lack of support from third party devs, the lack of interest in its features despite nintendo fans stating having a tablet controller is a second coming or having a screen separate for maps is godlike, and its failing because it lacks the appeal that its competitors have that includes a combination of features, price and the gaming and media content that is available.

Besides quality is subjective which my post did not focus on - I was talking in the sales sense which Mario obliterates Sonic and there's no denying that. Since you mention 2010 titles....lets see..no better yet lets go back 1 whole gen and include this gen as well (WiiU/PS4/XboxOne/Wii/PS3/Xbox 360/PC/NDS/PSP wise). Only mentioning million sale titles...

This is excluding the Mario & sonic games

Mario Games
-New Super Mario Bros. (NDS) - 29.42 mil
-Super Mario 64 (NDS) - 10.15 mil
-Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - 9.38 mil
-New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 7.42 mil
-New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 27.35 mil
-Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 11.06 mil
-Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) - 7.20 mil
-New Super Mario Bros. U (WiiU) - 3.85 mil
-Super Mario 3D World (WiiU) - 1.96 mil

Sonic Games
-Sonic Rush (NDS) - 3.08 mil
-Sonic Classic Collection (NDS) - 1.61 mil
-Sonic Colors (NDS) - 1.20 mil
-Sonic Rush Adventure (NDS) - 1.14 mil
-Sonic Rivals (PSP) - 1.40 mil
-Sonic Rivals 2 (PSP) - 1.44 mil
-Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3) - 1.98 mil
-Sonic Generation (PS3) - 1.24 mil
-Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3) - 1.04 mil
-Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (X360) - 1.18 mil
-Sonic Generations (X360) - 1.10 mil
-Sonic and the Secret Rings (Wii) - 2.64 mil
-Sonic Unleashed (Wii) - 2.05 mil
-Sonic Colors (Wii) - 1.58 mil
-Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing (Wii) - 1.28 mil

Edit: My post has nothing to do with downplaying the Sonic franchise - its still one of my most fav franchises despite having a horrible quality line of games like Sonic Rivals and the Wii Sonic games.

Sonic Generations also sold on Steam/PC. Check out Sonic Hits Collection http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26498/. Nintendo doesn't do Mario packs so it's easier to tally their sales. Sega does bundles for your future reference. 29.99 gets you over 10 Sonic games for 29.99 how many Mario games can you get for that price? So comparing these 2 franchises with VGA chartz numbers is rather silly imho without real numbers from both franchsises. I'm also not saying Sonic wins in sales but that the totals are nowhere near correct.

Those Mario sales totals prove my point though that Mario 64 as you pointed out sold around 10 mil, and then another 10 on DS. Galaxy 1 and 2 close to 20 mil together. NDS 3D isometric should stay on NDS not the WIi U. 2D Mario games sell really well when you have a Wii sized install base and not a Wii U sized one so what gives? Platform is what gives, you can't put 3DS type Marios on Wii U and expect killer sales. 2D Marios and 3dS marios do not sell well on the Wii U, and it doesn't help people adopt the console. Mario 64/Mario Sunshine/Mario Galaxy games do. That's most of my point. I also agree with youy that 3rd party is a problem for the WIi U. Nintendo is still the one spearheading the problems imo, and the fact that they don't know what Mario the people on the Wii U is absolutely HILARIOUS for myself being a SOnic fan. It's like Nintendo intentionally wants bad sales this gen and they're doing everything in their power to do so.

Justin Beiber and Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus sell craploads it doesn't mean they're the best artists out now does it? With your logic why yes , yes they are? If you do think that there's no point left for me to make. Except imagine if Nintendo did a digital Mario 10 game pack for 29.99 on the Wii U...imagine that BasilZero, imagine that. Nah they won't get with the times at Nintendo imho.

The worst mainline Mario games are around par with the best Sonic games.