By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: "This year the most anticipated games will be exclusive to xbox"

Why are people highlighting the single game out of each series that has sold tons? I see people highlighting the best selling DMC, GT, etc... I notice they're not taking into account the install base these titles had when they accomplished those feats.

If you look at MS franchises they have never had a ridiculously huge install base to sell to. The thing is they still put up great numbers. Nintendo is capable of it as well. The question is can that be said about Sony?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

IMO I feel that PS3 has the most anticipated titles. I know that 360 has GREAT exclusive games coming this year, but I believe that the PS3 ones are the most anticipated. As long as I get Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human, Alan Wake (hopefully in 08), MGS4, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, I will be happy.... I personally do not like Gears Of War or Resistance, so I stand neutral in that battle.

PLAYSTATON NETWORK: BLOODLINEZ

@ Legend

LOL. How many of those will get pushed back into next year, and how many of the not pushed back ones will be on PC within six months of release (Hello mass Effect)...

MS has no basis of ever saying that. that's just too funny.

The most anticipated games of 2008 are going to the Xbox? I didnt' realize that MS was getting the following exclusives:

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl
Metal Gear Solid 4
Mario Kart: Wii
Gran Turismo 5

The most anticipated game the Xbox is getting for 2008, GTA 4, is shared with the PS3. And the ones MS thinks are so anticipated, such as "", are about as anticipated as Killzone 2 -- that is, they're anticipated by the fanboys but not as much by the general public.

MS doesn't have the best lineup this year.

Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Banjo Kazooie 3
Halo Wars
Ninja Gaiden 2
Too Human
Tales of Vesperia
Grand Theft Auto 4 Episodes 1 & 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Dead or Alive 5
Halo: Chronicles

Zero of those games are as anticipated as the four I posted above.  GTA 4 episodes aren't highly anticipated.  The game itself is.  Halo Wars? Halo Chronicals?  Please.  I don't know anyone outside of fanboy circles who want that.   Fable 2?  That game is a joke even among the industry: Molyneux never delivers.  Never.

Infinite Undiscovery?  Cry on?  The very fact that I haven't heard of these, and I follow games fairly closely, suggests these aren't the hugely anticipated games you'd like to pass them off as. 

makingmusic476 said:
cwbys21 said:
bingoo
this site reports that gears sold just over 5 million while mgs 2 sold 5.5 million and mgs3 sold just under 4 million. So it would seem to me by sales they are pretty even.

You have to add in the sales of MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistance. They are essentially the "Greatest Hits" versions of MGS2/3, and added a good bit to the sales of each.

Also, be aware that VGChartz only has data for the Japanese version of MGS2:S, and only Japanese + NA data for MGS3:S, while MGS sells the strongest in Europe. All we know is that Substance sold 160k in Japan alone, and Subsistence sold 470k across Japan and NA.

Because of this, we know that MGS2 sold at least 6 mil. in total, and MGS3 sold closer to 4.5 mil. MGS4's sales should be more in line with MGS2, as it is the direct sequel to MGS2 (whereas MGS3 was a prequel), and it has the next-gen "wow" factor that comes with updated graphics, much like MGS2 had and MGS3 did not.

I don't mean to quote you specifically. I just noticed you were the last to comment on this part of the subject.

I think Gears of War is a system seller like any other out there. It gets overshadowed by Halo naturally, but most of PS3's system sellers get overshadowed by Gran Turismo too.

When putting up these sales numbers, nobody has taken into account how developed the console was when the game was released. Gears of War was released to about 6 million 360's. Metal Gear Solid 2 was released to about 18 million PS2s. Metal Gear Solid was released to about 13 million PSOnes. I know the data is rough, but it should be considered I think. (It's pulled from here at VGChartz)

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

There's a lot of hype around Ninja Gaiden 2 but I don't remember the first selling that well on the Xbox, am I wrong ?

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

From this thre I only see GoW2 driving any consoles ... NG2 and Fable 2 will sell well , but THEY WILL NOT BE console sellers .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Ail said:
There's a lot of hype around Ninja Gaiden 2 but I don't remember the first selling that well on the Xbox, am I wrong ?

That's an easy explanation.  If you're Microsoft, you just go out and say, "And one of the other highly anticipated games of the year, Ninja Gaiden 2, is expected to be sold out for weeks."   - Even if nobody really cares.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

I can never understand why people state that NGII is one of the most anticipated games. NG sold 700,000 on the xbox.

Legend11 said:
Jandre002 said:
Is it just me or does Microsoft's line up look really weak? Besides Gears 2, those are all average at best. Haha. And Gears has to be better than Resistance 2 to even matter, which I really doubt.

But of course some people will believe them and say "WOW THATS AN AWESOME LINEUP!"

Who the hell buys a $200+ console for Fable or Banjo?

And we already saw how Too Human is fairing...Microsoft is knee high in crappy lineup right now.

How many games do you buy a year? These are just some of the games coming out this year for the system and there are likely surprises at E3 (Rare, Lionhead, Mistwalker, Obsidian, Bioware, EA, and Bungie for example are all working on unannounced games for the 360).

Exclusives

Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Banjo Kazooie 3
Halo Wars
Ninja Gaiden 2
Too Human
Tales of Vesperia
Grand Theft Auto 4 Episodes 1 & 2
Infinite Undiscovery
Cry On
Dead or Alive 5
Halo: Chronicles
(and more...)

Then there are the console exclusives:

Alan Wake
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Left 4 Dead
APB
Huxley
Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath
Sabotage
Dead Island
Supreme Commander
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Totems
(and more...)

And multiplatform games:

Bully: Scholarship Edition (Only HD version)
Brutal Legend
Army of Two
Alone in the Dark
Battlefield: Bad Company
Dark Sector
Condemned 2
Darksiders
Deus Ex 3
Fallout 3
Fracture
Ghostbusters
Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
Lego Batman
Lego Indiana Jones
Mafia 2
The Precursors
Prototype
Silent Hill 5
Soulcalibur 4
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Tiberium
Tom Clancy's Endwar
Rainbow 6: Vegas 2
To End All Wars
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Wet
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Saints Row 2
Bionic Commando
(and lots more...)

Plus a lot of interesting Xbox Live Arcade and Community games.

Those games are either unproven, multi-platform, on PC, or will end up selling to the existing userbase while no one else will take a second look at any of them.

Last year, when people were hyping up games like Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Lair, etc for the PS3, they caught all kinds of hell because they were unproven games, but now, the same people who were giving them that hell are doing the same things with games on the 360 that are no more proven than the ones on the PS3.

GoW2 and GTAIV are the only ones worth mentioning as "highly anticipated," and the latter is on the PS3 as well. The gaming public at large could not care less about the rest of those titles.

2007 is the last year that the 360 will have had any advantage as far as software is concerned. 

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3