By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adam Orth: Internet toxicity’s effect on the game industry is ‘very real and very dangerous’

curl-6 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Someone forward this to Phil Fish so he can stop being such a wank and release Fez 2

The one good thing that came of all this mob rule barbarism is that it rid the industry of that pretentious dickhead.

Well done. You sure gave it to him bad. smh

Around the Network

My friend is a game dev and he talks about this a lot. He says quite frankly that videogame "fans" are the worst. Bitching, moaning, hating, thinking they have great (but ultimately unrealistic or just plain stupid) ideas, etc.

Devs are humans too, and they're doing a job which very, very few of us would actually be able to manage. For example; how many people were shitting on Hideo Kojima because he gave a frank opinion about the Japanese game industry recently? I read so many comments in the vein of, "Who does he think he is...".

It's very sad.

There are ways to be critical properly. Most of the time the online gaming community fails horribly.

There is some real scum out there who will go to extremes for malicious reasons. Personally I think the answer is to enforce sanctions on Twitter, Youtube and social media to prevent these individuals from malicious attacking other people. In a sense that means IP banning.

These networks need to do more to make it clear this type of behaviour is not okay.

Worst person to even get out this message. How do you combat internet toxicity? Why being the who starts it themselves, of course.

To take it to an extreme example, this would be like Usama bin Laden whining about attacks against him and promoting peace, while still blowing up people and their shit.

He got what he deserved, he was an asshole and sounds like he still is. If he got any threats, those are unacceptable, but all other negativity he got was totally deserved. In the current form of his message, I'd actually have to say I disagree with him, even though I generally think there's too much negativity on the internet.

Around the Network

Fanboy rage is the worst.

He woulda been alright without the "#dealwithit"

My 8th gen collection

Fusioncode said:
Microsoft had every reason to fire him. He said some extremely stupid things and gave his company a ton of bad PR.

If a Google director went to TV and said something about, let's say, Android that generated a lot of bad responses and horrible PR, he would lose his job. It's a way for the company to show that the guy's opinion don't represent the brand. Orth was a public person from MS, so his opinions, for the public, are the same that MS opinions. 

Shaunaka said:
curl-6 said:

Someone forward this to Phil Fish so he can stop being such a wank and release Fez 2

The one good thing that came of all this mob rule barbarism is that it rid the industry of that pretentious dickhead.

Difference is, I didn't go on twitter and threaten his life and family.

I may think he's a toxic douchebag whose departure left the industry better off, but I didn't cyber bully him over it.

curl-6 said:
Shaunaka said:
curl-6 said:

Difference is, I didn't go on twitter and threaten his life and family.

I may think he's a toxic douchebag whose departure left the industry better off, but I didn't cyber bully him over it.

Its a bit presupmtous to generalize the vocal minority for the entire mob.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Adam Orth is still around? lol