By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adam Orth: Internet toxicity’s effect on the game industry is ‘very real and very dangerous’

Kane1389 said:

Its almost like saying stupid things and patrionasing your whole consumer base has some sort of consequences or something...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:

He is completely right about what he is saying. The internet community including VGC can be horrible and in the last year that has shown more than ever. And you can say well it was his mistake, which honestly is hypocritical since every single one of us has made a mistake in the past. To blame him is not the problem, we are responsible for our behavior and our reactions, not him. And from everything that ive seen it was an over-reaction. Its one thing to be disappointed but it went way beyond that. All because of a plastic box.

To the guy above me, nobody deserves that and honestly i question the person you are for saying something like that

I dont know why you are defending him Jay. He was a director, and in the wake of the PR disaster he tried to throw his weight around. It was his own arrogance that lead to the situation, so lay off your attacks to me, i am entitled to my opinion and i am a very kind person, but i also defend justice when its due.

He knows what he did. If he had a bit of humility or had any sort of PR or customer relations sense he wouldnt have said those things. If he didnt have them in the first place, he shouldnt have engaged customers by attacking them.

What he is saying now is correct though, but his personal situation was somethinh he brought upon himself. Very different from say all the hate the internet spreads on Nintendo for example, or the constant console wars between Sony and Microsoft fans.

Yes, it's always someone else's fault. Never your own. Great attitude.

Nem said:

I defend him because that is not how consumers should EVER act.  You dont like something say "Hey i dont like this and im not buying it" not "ARGHHH I HATE XBOX, IM COMING TO KILL YOU AND I HOPE YOUR FAMILY GETS AIDS".

There is good ways of doing things and bad ways.  What orth said may not be right, but neither was the reactions. Just because you're behind a keyboard and are passionate about a certain product does not give you the right to threaten people and be a dick

JayWood2010 said:
Nem said:

I defend him because that is not how consumers should EVER act.  You dont like something say "Hey i dont like this and im not buying it" not "ARGHHH I HATE XBOX, IM COMING TO KILL YOU AND I HOPE YOUR FAMILY GETS AIDS".

There is good ways of doing things and bad ways.  What orth said may not be right, but neither was the reactions. Just because you're behind a keyboard and are passionate about a certain product does not give you the right to threaten people and be a dick

Of course not, but that was after he baited them.

Around the Network

The kind of extremists he had to deal is horrible. But his point about the internet community is pretty biased. He was a public person, since everyone knew he worked with XB1, and he should have choose his words carefully instead of just ranting like a crying baby. It's not about internet. He could have done the same thing in an interview in a TV programs in 1970 and receive hundreds of angry letters. Twitter is a public site, what you post there is assumed to be seen by the world.

What hen didn't understand is that he wasn't talking only as Adam. He was talking as a XBox brand representative and, in that position, he just tell everybody to shut up and accept what he wanted. For the world, it was XBox telling everyone to shut up and deal with it, not a guy called Adam. He damaged the brand and they fired him (let's be honest, that's what happened) and that was correct. Now, instead of taking responsibility for his actions, he keeps ranting and blaming the public for that.

Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:

And again we are responsible for our own reaction and behaviors.  And again there is a difference from being dissapointed and over-reacting.  There is not one reason any one should be able to justify people threatening him.  Consumers are suppose to vote with their wallets, and giving opinions is more than justified, but as i said it all went way beyond that.  

JayWood2010 said:
Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:

And again we are responsible for our own reaction and behaviors.  And again there is a difference from being dissapointed and over-reacting.  There is not one reason any one should be able to justify people threatening him.  Consumers are suppose to vote with their wallets, and giving opinions is more than justified, but as i said it all went way beyond that.  

Its not like what he said was justified either. He insulted alot of people that dont live in the big city. I understand that some of those reactions are obviously not justified, but again, he threw the first stone.

Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:
Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:

There is good ways of doing things and bad ways.  What orth said may not be right, but neither was the reactions.

Its not like what he said was justified either. He insulted alot of people that dont live in the big city. I understand that some of those reaction are obviously not justified, but again, he threw the first stone.

"There is good ways of doing things and bad ways.  What orth said may not be right, but neither was the reactions."

JayWood2010 said:
Nem said:

Its not like what he said was justified either. He insulted alot of people that dont live in the big city. I understand that some of those reaction are obviously not justified, but again, he threw the first stone.

"There is good ways of doing things and bad ways.  What orth said may not be right, but neither was the reactions."

;)

Ok since were going in circles and we basically say the same thing i am gonna finish with a saying in my country roughly translated. "When you go to war, you shoot and are shot back". I think it applies here.