By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adam Orth: Internet toxicity’s effect on the game industry is ‘very real and very dangerous’

The #dealwithit tag showed that he knew he was trolling basically, and now he cries about it later on.

You trolled and got caught. #dealwithit.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I would usually agree, but the problem in this particular case is that he himself was an ass on the internet.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

OdinHades said:

"Wer austeilt muss auch einstecken können." - That's what we say in germany. I have no idea how to translate that. :P

Roughly, "If you dish it out, be ready to take it".

Essentially toxicity is a two way street and if you spew nonsense, prepare to have nonsense spewn back at you.

alabtrosMyster said:

I think the problem in the Adam Orth story is that he relayed his employer's (Microsot) point of view, then when they saw it was not very popular policies they were about to unveil they fired him instead of changing their attitude thoward their clients, or going to bat for him... they denied everything... then presented their own elaborate version of "deal with it" (the xbox one) to eventually reverse it, because well they could not fire each and every employees of the xbox division at this point.

I think this particular "mob" did good in the end (I don't know if he had some personal threats, which is bad and should not be sanctioned).

What I really can't stand are people complaining to no end about some game's bad ending, a couple of nit picks about game play/story line, or any subtle change from a game's original reveal compared to the delivered product. These things should be talked about, but some of you guys go and harrass specific member of the development team, often not the producter or whatever, these games are often made by huge teams, not one person can and should take the blame, even if they seem responsible, and if there is one person "responsible" nobody should feel free to threaten them of anything personally.

This is the real tragedy (the first point). While i don't feel that he has so much right to complain, he really should get on Microsoft's case about canning him for that, since it was the company line.

Edit: Oh, just read ClassicGamingWhizz's post.

Nope, there goes my sympathy.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I would never wish death on someone or their family over video games, regardless if they were trolling. What he did was unprofessional and may have warranted some form of punishment from his employer, but threatening him and his family and behaving like a lynch mob is completely unjustified.

I'm not saying to feel sorry for him, but the response he received shouldn't be condoned at all. Regardless of his behavior, we are responsible for our own actions, even on the internet. Saying 'he should have known better' doesn't make it okay. That's the most appalling kind of victim blaming, even if the victim isn't a sympathetic one. No one should feel like they have to fear for their safety over VIDEO GAMES.

Around the Network

Blaming your customers en masse is what's "very dangerous" here.

Sure, the guy seems like a bit of an ass. Though I get the feeling he's going for a sarcastic / ironic approach to many of his idiotic tweets. BUT, there is absolutely no justification for death threats and other things he's been put through by internet morons. Anyone here who thinks it's justified in any way is wrong. No two ways about it. Wrong.

Microsoft had every reason to fire him. He said some extremely stupid things and gave his company a ton of bad PR.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

kowenicki said:
Some tough guys in here huh?

He's right of course.

Just cause he's right, doesn't mean he's not the wrong person  to advocate this message.

What about that lady from Bioware, or that Transgender game designer?

Orth had the high ground. But he did the wrong thing at the wrong time and he deserves every single iota of hate that he gets.

The internet gave him great power, but it came with great responsibility.

Worse yet his #dealwithit has become immortalized as a meme and not even remotely positive one so he is going to have to #dealwithit for a very very very long time.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

“Be the shining example to inspire others to action. Never forget the joy you get or that you give by illuminating it with video games.”

It seems the movie industry more than inspired his newest game. (Gravity...?)