By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adam Orth: Internet toxicity’s effect on the game industry is ‘very real and very dangerous’

This is a real problem. But:

1) The #Dealwithit part of his post is the part that was stupid, and he should have known better.

2) Grow the F*ck up. People are dicks on the internet and someone who works in the industry should be smart enough to realize that and filter it out. Orth, #DealWithIt

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

The dude is more of an asshat than I had initally thought ...

As far as his whining and bitching about the death threats coming from the internet he should have expected it with that this was coming because anything out there can be used against him.

There's two sides to this, as people have been saying. On one hand, Orth was a fucking idiot. I'd even say losing his job was justified. Not so much that he deserved to lose it, but Microsoft was justified in firing him. They had to for the sake of the Xbox brand. He could have avoided it by being smarter about what he said. There's having an opinion, and then there's tactlessly insulting people for having a different opinion and bringing your company tons of bad PR. As much as I hated his opinion, it wasn't his opinion, but how he handled things that makes me think he earned his firing.

On the other side of things, the Internet does have a problem. I'm personally one to often ironically say "the internet is serious business!" in situations where people take it too seriously, and indeed, people do often make a big deal out of things when they shouldn't (someone on the internet that I'll never meet said something I disagree with! I must show them the error of their ways! We're all guilty of that sometimes), but on the other hand, there are plenty of times where the internet DOES go too far. What Orth did was stupid and people were completely justified to be angry at him. However, when you're angry at someone, you don't have to go as far as some did. I'm not saying you have to act all prim and proper and say "good sir, I respectfully disagree, I think an always online system would be detrimental to the industry." I think it's perfectly fine to vent your anger by tweeting back "Fuck you, you pretentious asshole! No one gives a shit about your opinion, you need to give your customers what they fucking want!" You know, if that's your opinion, so be it, and sometimes when you're pissed a little more extreme language is called for. The internet isn't really a professional setting most of the time so who cares. However, chasing him off of social media and out of town with barbaric death threats and wishes of terminal illness on his family is unacceptably uncivil. Asking him to filter it out isn't entirely fair, because he would have had to filter out literally everything with how mad he made people, and their persistence in harassing him was enough that his real life fear was justified, I think.

That said, there were better people to send this message than him. There are people who get horribly harassed by internet mobs that didn't actively provoke the mobs with inflammatory statement after inflammatory statement. While I recognize that the problem is real, and that the internet mob is a real, dangerous phenomenon, it's hard for me to feel empathy for him, it's just too ironic that HE of all people is coming out to say this. That said, if his game somehow incorporates themes of internet toxicity in, I'd be curious as to how he executes that. It could be really interesting.

Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:
Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:

Its not like what he said was justified either. He insulted alot of people that dont live in the big city. I understand that some of those reactions are obviously not justified, but again, he threw the first stone.

We who don't live in the big city are ignored all the time so we #dealwithit on a daily basis. Probably not us who were attacking him.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:

His job had nothing to do with PR stunts.

He had his opinion, why ones opinion should be silenced just because a angry mod of annomimous people on the internet, with no better thing to do, thinks differente?

And he was right back then. We are just 4 months out of the new generation and the XOne received 3 major updates and the PS4 received 2. I don´t know a person with no Internet conection for more than a few hours.

I would love my XOne had the DMR online check and other features they promiced. Now it´s a odd device next to my Kindle, my iPhone and my Smart TV, and my future Surface 3 tablet.

This was one opportunity to become modern. This was the chance to get a cheap and easy way for everybody to be able to buy games ONLINE. The game industry could do what the music and film industries already have done (and PC with Steam).

And for those of us who do not live in a big city in Tier 1, this would have been better for all of us.

Now we we probably soon have to buy new consoles that work in an online environment.

How about orth taking his own advise? #dealwithit

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Im sorry but no one should take threats from 12 year olds seriously. It is the xbox live cod kindergarten being able to hide their squeaky insecure voices behind. Written words

Here is all I hear. "Whaa whaa...they all hate me, I feel sad." This is all I want to say in response. "Log off your device/PC. Problem solved."

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
curl-6 said:

Difference is, I didn't go on twitter and threaten his life and family.

I may think he's a toxic douchebag whose departure left the industry better off, but I didn't cyber bully him over it.

Its a bit presupmtous to generalize the vocal minority for the entire mob.

I don't have a problem with the actions of the majority, just the lynch mob who crossed the line.