By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Adam Orth: Internet toxicity’s effect on the game industry is ‘very real and very dangerous’

the problem with the faceless internet and the so called internet warriors.
But what can you do about it?

Around the Network

Its sad, but I'm not sure why he would expect anything else.

#dealwithit seems the most appropriate advice.

The title suggests he had thought about the subject and started some kind of initiative or awareness campaign. But all he does is whine, talk about himself and promote his game.
Not what i expected.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

He's right, the internet is full of some shitty people who post some horrible abuse.

It's just a shame to hear it from the person who deserved it most.

I think the problem in the Adam Orth story is that he relayed his employer's (Microsot) point of view, then when they saw it was not very popular policies they were about to unveil they fired him instead of changing their attitude thoward their clients, or going to bat for him... they denied everything... then presented their own elaborate version of "deal with it" (the xbox one) to eventually reverse it, because well they could not fire each and every employees of the xbox division at this point.

I think this particular "mob" did good in the end (I don't know if he had some personal threats, which is bad and should not be sanctioned).

What I really can't stand are people complaining to no end about some game's bad ending, a couple of nit picks about game play/story line, or any subtle change from a game's original reveal compared to the delivered product. These things should be talked about, but some of you guys go and harrass specific member of the development team, often not the producter or whatever, these games are often made by huge teams, not one person can and should take the blame, even if they seem responsible, and if there is one person "responsible" nobody should feel free to threaten them of anything personally.

Around the Network

First, people can say some pretty awful things. I wish it were possible to hold those who make threats accountable. I find some of the insults people throw out to be disgusting but there isn't much to be done. It's not that everyone can say what they want, that's always been the case, it's that now everyone can read it. Instead of ten people hearing an idiot's rants, now a million can read them.

Now, that being said, Orth got into a fight with the customer base in a very public way and got fired for it. That is all his own fault and responsibility. Anyone who works in sales or services knows you cannot do that. It doesn't even matter if you're right or wrong, going out of your way to argue with customers will get you fired.

That means Orth himself was part of the "Internet Toxicity Effect."

If he really wanted to help, his talk should have been about not triggering trouble over social media. I'd bet that a lot of people in the industry haven't had to deal with difficult customers on a daily basis and lack understanding in that area.

Also, that article not mentioning the running argument, which is really what got him fired, is a bit irresponsible.

The problem is since this is the internet people believe they can get away with making personal attacks on people and threatening them. So the solution to this would be to permaban people on Twitter/Facebook etc. when they resort to such attacks.

Nem said:
JayWood2010 said:

He is completely right about what he is saying. The internet community including VGC can be horrible and in the last year that has shown more than ever. And you can say well it was his mistake, which honestly is hypocritical since every single one of us has made a mistake in the past. To blame him is not the problem, we are responsible for our behavior and our reactions, not him. And from everything that ive seen it was an over-reaction. Its one thing to be disappointed but it went way beyond that. All because of a plastic box.

To the guy above me, nobody deserves that and honestly i question the person you are for saying something like that

I dont know why you are defending him Jay. He was a director, and in the wake of the PR disaster he tried to throw his weight around. It was his own arrogance that lead to the situation, so lay off your attacks to me, i am entitled to my opinion and i am a very kind person, but i also defend justice when its due.

He knows what he did. If he had a bit of humility or had any sort of PR or customer relations sense he wouldnt have said those things. If he didnt have them in the first place, he shouldnt have engaged customers by attacking them.

What he is saying now is correct though, but his personal situation was somethinh he brought upon himself. Very different from say all the hate the internet spreads on Nintendo for example, or the constant console wars between Sony and Microsoft fans.

His job had nothing to do with PR stunts.

He had his opinion, why ones opinion should be silenced just because a angry mod of annomimous people on the internet, with no better thing to do, thinks differente?

And he was right back then. We are just 4 months out of the new generation and the XOne received 3 major updates and the PS4 received 2. I don´t know a person with no Internet conection for more than a few hours.

I would love my XOne had the DMR online check and other features they promiced. Now it´s a odd device next to my Kindle, my iPhone and my Smart TV, and my future Surface 3 tablet.

Love the people trying to defend him. The guy was flat out wrong and no whwre does it seem like he acknowledges it. As for the responses he got, very easily to ignore them and still get the point he made a dumb ass comment.

Porcupine_I said:
The title suggests he had thought about the subject and started some kind of initiative or awareness campaign. But all he does is whine, talk about himself and promote his game.
Not what i expected.

Because no one promote their games at GDC...