By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developer: PS 4 VR Headset is BETTER than Oculus Rift. - First Demos : Thief,EVE....

SvennoJ said:
JoeTheBro said:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319.html

Constitution Processor unit, a head-mounted unit
Display system LCD
Display Size 5 in.
Display Resolution 1920 × RGB × 1080 
(to display an image of 960 × RGB × 1080 in each of the left and right eye)
Horizontal viewing angle 90 degrees
Mounted sensor Acceleration sensor, gyro sensor
Connection I / F HDMI + USB
Function 3D audio, social screen

I guess that's good news for price, but only half the horizontal resolution per eye, 960x1080.

Since it spreads over 90 degrees you can compare it to a tv resolution of 320x360. (If you normally sit at 1.6 x diagonal screen size, recommended distance for a 30 degree viewing angle) If the optics are like the OR you do get a bit more resolution towards the center due to the pincushion distortion by the lenses.
At least the ps4 shouldn't have any problems rendering 960x1080 3D, and a solid 60fps should be standard over such a large viewing angle.

Back to gen 7 (dpi) resolution wise, yet with gen 9 graphics and total immersion. Early VR will look a lot better than early 3D games.

Now re-open studio Liverpool. I've been wanting to play Wipeout in VR since 2097.

If they made it any higher in resolution the result would be difficulty in getting games to run smoothly.

however since your vision is in stereo, while each eye is only seeing 960x1080, the full effect is a full 1080p image, the varied focal point causes the pixel overlap to never be absolutely perfect.

it's still a significant jump over the rift, when i tested their HD version of the devkit the difference was literally night and day quality wise.

If they used OLED instead of LCD (they wont of course) then the very minor gridding (less of an issue on 1080p units anyway, but a very clear issue with the first devkit), would be virtually non-existant and lend a much cleaner, vivid image.

Around the Network

Whats important about this is that theyre thinking BEYOND videogames.

Lets hope it works out. Could be fantastic.

Journey Flower Wipeout.

Should be made for if as Sonys first vr ips.

walsufnir said:
Hmm, still undecided as the project is still too young and in active development. Also, it uses Move and PSEye according to golem.de, which is quite a massive and expensive setup you have to have for Sony VR.

i also read that article, but i think move is not necessary. they said it 'works together' but it would be FATAL if the VR headset would need move to work.

i kind of like the idea of a VR headset. but i feel like sony will make wrong choices. they should make the device free to use on PC and smart devices. Oculus Rift already has a foot in the door and it should have been better for sony to invest in oculus. announce a partnership or something.

well, we have to see. now we should know that driveclub got delayed to be the first AAA game that runs on that VR headset. i guess i will get one, but that's just because i have too much money and buy too much shit i don't really need.

must-have-list for platforms i don't own yet:

WiiU: Donkey Kong

XBone: Dead Rising 3, Ryse

lucidium said:

If they made it any higher in resolution the result would be difficulty in getting games to run smoothly.

however since your vision is in stereo, while each eye is only seeing 960x1080, the full effect is a full 1080p image, the varied focal point causes the pixel overlap to never be absolutely perfect.

it's still a significant jump over the rift, when i tested their HD version of the devkit the difference was literally night and day quality wise.

If they used OLED instead of LCD (they wont of course) then the very minor gridding (less of an issue on 1080p units anyway, but a very clear issue with the first devkit), would be virtually non-existant and lend a much cleaner, vivid image.

do you expect a possibility of future versions to use OLED? im just asking your personal opinion, i understand if you cant answer. 

Around the Network

Production one will likely use oled, it just makes sense.

They use it in the personal viewer, they understand its advantages well enough.

BeElite said:

price my friend, price. 

bananaking21 said:
BeElite said:

price my friend, price. 

They arent that pricey, not anymore.

plus the screen is the last thing they chould cheap out on, on such a product.

Gehirnkrampf said:
walsufnir said:
Hmm, still undecided as the project is still too young and in active development. Also, it uses Move and PSEye according to golem.de, which is quite a massive and expensive setup you have to have for Sony VR.

i also read that article, but i think move is not necessary. they said it 'works together' but it would be FATAL if the VR headset would need move to work.

i kind of like the idea of a VR headset. but i feel like sony will make wrong choices. they should make the device free to use on PC and smart devices. Oculus Rift already has a foot in the door and it should have been better for sony to invest in oculus. announce a partnership or something.

well, we have to see. now we should know that driveclub got delayed to be the first AAA game that runs on that VR headset. i guess i will get one, but that's just because i have too much money and buy too much shit i don't really need.

This is one substancial problem with Sony - they often try to "lock" their technology to make the best profits out of their tech. Generally from a business view this seems to be the right decision but for customers this is definitely not the best direction a company should go.

"Unnatural" audioc-ds, backdoors on audio-cds, proprietary memory solutions, own media formats, just to enforce their own solution is not the way of success in 2014 and the following years, in my opinion.

So yes, they should make their VR available to as many platforms as possible, with a free to use SDK, like MS did with Kinect on PC.

bananaking21 said:
lucidium said:

do you expect a possibility of future versions to use OLED? im just asking your personal opinion, i understand if you cant answer. 

Doubtful unless OLED tech gets cheaper, its not a huge issue though, generally at 1080p shared across two eyes the pixel density is a nice ballance between clear and demanding too much power from the console, OLED would increase the cost somewhat, i can see it happening eventually but for launch they would want to attack the cheapest option agressively to increase initial adoption.

For me, its exciting and fun, but i am far more excited at the possibility of VR headsets becoming more common, as it increases the chances of much better units further down the line, even if that occurs in a future console generation.

We are at a point where increases in console tech make only so many differences on the average consumer display.