By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developer: PS 4 VR Headset is BETTER than Oculus Rift. - First Demos : Thief,EVE....

SvennoJ said:
JoeTheBro said:
SvennoJ said:

If it was $100 I would probably skip it, no way that would deliver a decent experience.
They've already stated it will be 1080 lines (no clue on horizontal res yet though) 1000hz 360 degree headtracking and wireless. So less than 400 (excluding camera) is pretty much out. If it actually has dual 1080p screens plus virtual surround sound built in, I could see it launching at 699,-

Don't forget about Occulus. The Sony headset is going to have to stay competitive with that $299-399 price point, even though they're exclusive to different systems.

We've yet to see if OR can reach that promised price point. They still need to include wireless and virtual surround headphones, plus OR only has a single 1080p screen. Sony can save some costs on the motion sensors though and let the camera do most of the work.

It's kind of hard to believe that they will go from a $1000 720p wired headset, to a $300 1080p wireless headset with head tracking. (Although reading back the GDC live report, wireless seems to be on a 'hope' basis for now)

Anyway if they want to sell a 1080p version that low I'll pre-order it asap. Anything below 700 for a 1080p VR headset sounds amazing to me. Never thought that would be possible so soon. Same for OR.

The reason VR can be a lot cheaper is because it's a lot larger. Check out these pics, with the top being the personal viewer.

The personal viewer from Sony has two 1280X720 micro-displays, while Rift has a single display made from a smartphone screen.

Also a Move wand sells for like $25 now. Putting its tech in a VR headset is relativly really cheap. OC shouldn't have issues hitting $400 and Sony with mass production shouldn't have any issues staying competitive.

Around the Network

This will cost a fortune in Brazil =/ But I will buy it, and never have a girlfriend again =D

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319.html

Constitution Processor unit, a head-mounted unit
Display system LCD
Display Size 5 in.
Display Resolution 1920 × RGB × 1080 
(to display an image of 960 × RGB × 1080 in each of the left and right eye)
Horizontal viewing angle 90 degrees
Mounted sensor Acceleration sensor, gyro sensor
Connection I / F HDMI + USB
Function 3D audio, social screen

JoeTheBro said:

The personal viewer from Sony has two 1280X720 micro-displays, while Rift has a single display made from a smartphone screen.

Also a Move wand sells for like $25 now. Putting its tech in a VR headset is relativly really cheap. OC shouldn't have issues hitting $400 and Sony with mass production shouldn't have any issues staying competitive.

Just received new SDK update for PS4, litterally an hour ago.

A bit of codetree searching has revealed the following to me:

These lights are used for movement tracking on top of the hardware tracking, to keep track of lean/movement of the player, so leaning to one side would bring you lower in the game as in real life, these sdk updates are still very much "development" versions but yeah.

PS move style addons are most likely only going to be needed for some games as an option to the DS4 lightbar.

In addition to that, theres also code to manually control "internal peripheral illumination". so i would guess theyre including RGB leds beyond the LCD to extend the effect beyond the screen area.

Imagine playing Outlast with a VR :O
I guess I need to buy some diapers xD

I think Virtual Reality will be awesome in slow paced games, and obviously, the indie developers will be the one giving the first boost for this new tech. A whole new genre of games can emerge from this. Let's wait and see ^^

Around the Network
lucidium said:
JoeTheBro said:

Just received new SDK update for PS4, litterally an hour ago.

A bit of codetree searching has revealed the following to me:

These lights are used for movement tracking on top of the hardware tracking, to keep track of lean/movement of the player, so leaning to one side would bring you lower in the game as in real life, these sdk updates are still very much "development" versions but yeah.

PS move style addons are most likely only going to be needed for some games as an option to the DS4 lightbar.

In addition to that, theres also code to manually control "internal peripheral illumination". so i would guess theyre including RGB leds beyond the LCD to extend the effect beyond the screen area.

Lucky. America is all sleep right now so I need to wait till morning to get the goods.

Also yeah the light bars are much easier to see in the real pictures verse the renders:

JoeTheBro said:

Lucky. America is all sleep right now so I need to wait till morning to get the goods.

Also yeah the light bars are much easier to see in the real pictures verse the renders:

If your studios first party it should be on the network right now.

lucidium said:
JoeTheBro said:

Na I'm indie.

JoeTheBro said:
lucidium said:
JoeTheBro said:

Na I'm indie.

Will be a few weeks then

could be cool, could be a short lived fad. Too early to tell, but I would be excited to at least try it out in stores,