By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developer: PS 4 VR Headset is BETTER than Oculus Rift. - First Demos : Thief,EVE....

Who cares about commercial success. I just want that thing to be good! It will get enough support from Indies anyway. If it really fails badly, worst thing that could happen is that we don't get AAA titles with support for it. I cam live with that.

Also, that thing could potentially replace Occulus on PC. Even without official support, I'm sure someone will make a custom driver so that it just pretends to be an OR. I just hope we see a release this year. Don't really care about the price, I'd pay up to 500 € without thinking twice.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Oculus Rift, Microsoft Fortaleza Glasses and this thing just don't get me hyped. I would like to try it and I even think it will be fun for a week or two, but I don't see myself getting into it.

Here are some things to consider:

1. It is huge

2. It is ugly

3. It kills the social aspect of digital entertainment

4. It is really ugly.

5. I doubt it will be cheap

6. I don't see many games to support this / it could drop as bad as PS Move or 3D gaming

7. Does it work for those wearing glasses already?

8. The fact that you apparently need an accessory (PS Eye)  for this accessory is just wrong.

9. When I play online games, do I need a headset on my headset?

10. IT IS UGLY!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

pokymon90 said:
Is there any physical drawbacks to this, for example people losing eye sight because of staring at something so close?

No, they should have it tuned so it's like your eyes are foccusing on something 20 feet away.  The point where you eyes stop foccusing and relax. 

It may actually be better than stairing at a TV screen 6-13 feet away.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

DirtyP2002 said:

Oculus Rift, Microsoft Fortaleza Glasses and this thing just don't get me hyped. I would like to try it and I even think it will be fun for a week or two, but I don't see myself getting into it.

1. It is huge

2. It is ugly

4. It is really ugly.

6. I don't see many games to support this / it could drop as bad as PS Move or 3D gaming

8. The fact that you apparently need an accessory (PS Eye)  for this accessory is just wrong.

10. IT IS UGLY!

I think they said it works for people with glasses. Yay me ^^

DirtyP2002 said:

1. It is huge

2. It is ugly

4. It is really ugly.

10. IT IS UGLY!

1. It's alright. Pretty much impossible at this time to build such a thing any smaller.

2. Who cares?

3. It doesn't. At least with PS4, people can still see on the TV what's going on and you don't need to play with headphones.

4. Who cares?

5. Depends what you call cheap. Around 300 $ would be fairly cheap for such a device.

6. Indies will punch the living crap out of VR. For AAA it depends how hard a implementation is. If Sony is making really good tools so that the devs don't have to struggle with it, I can see most games supporting it in some way. And of course you have Sony's First Party studios.

7. Yes.

8. Well, there's gotta be some way to track motion and PS Eye is the cheapest option possible. I'm sure there will be a bundle for those who don't have a camera yet.

9. You don't "need" to, but you have the option. You can also talk via PlayStation Camera. Just as it suits you, the options are there. Nothing is forced on you.

10. It doesn't get funnier by repeating it over and over again. It's not like you look extremely cool while playing video games anyway.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:

1. It is huge
Smaller than the Rift DK

2. It is ugly
Matter of opinion, but you aren't looking at the outside when using it, so who cares?

Unless, of course, you're using it to actually play games with your friends, in which case it increases the social aspect by making it more personal.

4. It is really ugly.
See 2.

Sony have stated they are aiming for it to be affordable, riftDK is $300 and thats taking in to account paying the premium of them being a small company and having to pay more to produce it, as well as part of that $300 going towards the ongoing development costs, by rights it should be between $150 and $250 when released.

They are actively hiring staff to integrate the tech into various engines and engage developers on supporting it, something they did not do with previous peripherals.

Depends on the size of the frame, if the frames are smaller than the eyecups then you wont have much of an issue.

It doesn't, as i pointed out earlier in the thread, it has its own built in lights for tracking.

It's designed not to cover the ears, so you can use any headset you want.

10. IT IS UGLY!
So really you only have 8 points?

*sigh*

DirtyP2002 said:

1. It is huge

2. It is ugly

4. It is really ugly.

10. IT IS UGLY!

Your whole it's ugly argument is a basis of opinion. Personally I think it looks good. On the "it kills the social aspect of digital entertainment" I do not agree that some games are supposed to be social. Like single player games, I love to be immersed and if someone knocks on my door, or rings my doorbell, or something to unimerse me then this is perfect! No more the need for stupid people bothering me. You don't have to wear it either, if someone is over just pack it up, it's not gigantic. With your "I doubt it will be cheap" point, I agree somewhat with. It depends on your opinion on what cheap means. I could see it being 199 or 250 to be honest. But maybe as high as 299 to 350. Point 6 can be thrown out really. If it's a PC game that supports oculus already, why not use this? Also it depends on install base and if it can be done easy, which it seems like it might be. With point 7, I believe oculus already does, so this might as well. I'm pretty sure Yoshida would be upset since he tends to be wearing glasses as well as Adam Boyles. So I can see it working with glasses. Point 8...I agree with this. Yet, who knows, this might wind up dropping the price of the camera due to mass adoption. Point 9: I believe it will let you use it in multi just find. If you need to use a headset it will stink but I'm not too worried. Hey, who knows, if this does not end up working alright and many developers don't adopt it, it could end up being like Kinect right? You know, no one really using it and laughing at it.

PSN: SoLFaceEvil

Hmm, still undecided as the project is still too young and in active development. Also, it uses Move and PSEye according to golem.de, which is quite a massive and expensive setup you have to have for Sony VR.

Nem said:
the-pi-guy said:
Nem said:
Big effin sigh... i guess when Sony is doing everything right with the PS4, they feel the need to screw up with something else. Like the Vita wasnt enough.

Well, I guess we all share your opinion.  

This will be a failure. Theres no doubt about that in my mind. 

Just the fact that they expect people to strap something to their heads to play games makes me almost burst in laughter. There is alot of wishful thinking here.

I think that VR has a lot of potential. Did you ever try it? I did and the reasons i did not like it in the past was cause of the quality.

With This one and the Oc one the quality of the picture has so much increased that this could actually work.

Does it look a bit weird to put on something like this? YES

Does it make gaming a lot more immense? Yes i think it will for sure.

JoeTheBro said:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319.html

Constitution Processor unit, a head-mounted unit
Display system LCD
Display Size 5 in.
Display Resolution 1920 × RGB × 1080 
(to display an image of 960 × RGB × 1080 in each of the left and right eye)
Horizontal viewing angle 90 degrees
Mounted sensor Acceleration sensor, gyro sensor
Connection I / F HDMI + USB
Function 3D audio, social screen

I guess that's good news for price, but only half the horizontal resolution per eye, 960x1080.

Since it spreads over 90 degrees you can compare it to a tv resolution of 320x360. (If you normally sit at 1.6 x diagonal screen size, recommended distance for a 30 degree viewing angle) If the optics are like the OR you do get a bit more resolution towards the center due to the pincushion distortion by the lenses.
At least the ps4 shouldn't have any problems rendering 960x1080 3D, and a solid 60fps should be standard over such a large viewing angle.

Back to gen 7 (dpi) resolution wise, yet with gen 9 graphics and total immersion. Early VR will look a lot better than early 3D games.

Now re-open studio Liverpool. I've been wanting to play Wipeout in VR since 2097.