By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Developer: PS 4 VR Headset is BETTER than Oculus Rift. - First Demos : Thief,EVE....

ImmortalHelixFossil said:
Djoeru said:
So far all i can see is people with a headset on the head xD
This is something we'll have to take their word on this. Or not. But not many of us are going to have the chance to try and compare both PS4 VR Headset (Project Morpheus) and Oculus Rift anyway. And videos of demo "from inside" the headset doesn't help much since you can't have the real feelings and sensations.

Anyway i hope it's true, would be cool to see such a big innovation in video games having a real succes. But i'm still afraid it will be way too expensive.

That's why when it's consumer ready. Sony should put all their resources of showing this to every big journalist news corp and game site.

Yes if they do it then at least give it the more possible support/marketing, and i've the feelings they are going to push it strongly.

But at what price do you think it could be a popular success and not become a niche product for the fortunate players ? In my opinion in a bundle with the PS4 and the PS eye for 600$/€ it would do it, but i'm afraid i'm too optimistic here.

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
Shaunaka said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Oculus Rift, Microsoft Fortaleza Glasses and this thing just don't get me hyped. I would like to try it and I even think it will be fun for a week or two, but I don't see myself getting into it.

Here are some things to consider:

1. It is huge

2. It is ugly

3. It kills the social aspect of digital entertainment

4. It is really ugly.

5. I doubt it will be cheap

6. I don't see many games to support this / it could drop as bad as PS Move or 3D gaming

7. Does it work for those wearing glasses already?

8. The fact that you apparently need an accessory (PS Eye)  for this accessory is just wrong.

9. When I play online games, do I need a headset on my headset?

10. IT IS UGLY!

Haha!

Everyone who's played with OR say it's amazing. I've played Portal2 with OR and I was blown away. 

You're being a typical detractor and I can guess your reasons. But for those of us that want new, amazing experiences this will be awesome.

A W E S O M E

please tell me my reasons for my own opinion. I can learn something about myself today.

1. You've never used VR

2. This reveal is not relevant to XOne gamers and the excitement around it is therefore impossible for you to share in since you've emotionally committed to the XBox brand by doing what you are doing right here in many PS threads and defending the XOne in general.

will admit I'm a little interested in this but probably won't pay for something that will probably cost as much as the console I bought

lucidium said:
SvennoJ said:
JoeTheBro said:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/140319.html

Constitution Processor unit, a head-mounted unit
Display system LCD
Display Size 5 in.
Display Resolution 1920 × RGB × 1080 
(to display an image of 960 × RGB × 1080 in each of the left and right eye)
Horizontal viewing angle 90 degrees
Mounted sensor Acceleration sensor, gyro sensor
Connection I / F HDMI + USB
Function 3D audio, social screen

I guess that's good news for price, but only half the horizontal resolution per eye, 960x1080.

Since it spreads over 90 degrees you can compare it to a tv resolution of 320x360. (If you normally sit at 1.6 x diagonal screen size, recommended distance for a 30 degree viewing angle) If the optics are like the OR you do get a bit more resolution towards the center due to the pincushion distortion by the lenses.
At least the ps4 shouldn't have any problems rendering 960x1080 3D, and a solid 60fps should be standard over such a large viewing angle.

Back to gen 7 (dpi) resolution wise, yet with gen 9 graphics and total immersion. Early VR will look a lot better than early 3D games.

Now re-open studio Liverpool. I've been wanting to play Wipeout in VR since 2097.

If they made it any higher in resolution the result would be difficulty in getting games to run smoothly.

however since your vision is in stereo, while each eye is only seeing 960x1080, the full effect is a full 1080p image, the varied focal point causes the pixel overlap to never be absolutely perfect.

it's still a significant jump over the rift, when i tested their HD version of the devkit the difference was literally night and day quality wise.

If they used OLED instead of LCD (they wont of course) then the very minor gridding (less of an issue on 1080p units anyway, but a very clear issue with the first devkit), would be virtually non-existant and lend a much cleaner, vivid image.

Yes it will look more like 640x720 dpi wise thanks to 2 uniquely rendered views in 3D. And probably sharper in the middle as I'm assuming that the same pinching effect happens as in the OR to achieve 90 degrees horizontal FOV. Good enough for immersive gaming, menus might still look a bit rough though.

I'm sold already, I want to pre-order one now. There are so many games I would like to play in VR!

walsufnir said:
Gehirnkrampf said:
walsufnir said:
Hmm, still undecided as the project is still too young and in active development. Also, it uses Move and PSEye according to golem.de, which is quite a massive and expensive setup you have to have for Sony VR.

i also read that article, but i think move is not necessary. they said it 'works together' but it would be FATAL if the VR headset would need move to work.

i kind of like the idea of a VR headset. but i feel like sony will make wrong choices. they should make the device free to use on PC and smart devices. Oculus Rift already has a foot in the door and it should have been better for sony to invest in oculus. announce a partnership or something.

well, we have to see. now we should know that driveclub got delayed to be the first AAA game that runs on that VR headset. i guess i will get one, but that's just because i have too much money and buy too much shit i don't really need.

This is one substancial problem with Sony - they often try to "lock" their technology to make the best profits out of their tech. Generally from a business view this seems to be the right decision but for customers this is definitely not the best direction a company should go.

"Unnatural" audioc-ds, backdoors on audio-cds, proprietary memory solutions, own media formats, just to enforce their own solution is not the way of success in 2014 and the following years, in my opinion.

So yes, they should make their VR available to as many platforms as possible, with a free to use SDK, like MS did with Kinect on PC.

I agree 100%. This is why their annuncment that PSNow would work across multiple branded TV's, tablets and phones was such a huge step in the right direction. People ALREADY associate Playstation with SONY there is no need to try to manufacture and "capitalize" on this when they simply dont have the success in the necessary markets to do so. Sony is spread way too thin and doesnt hold the marketshare in tablets, phones or TV's to do so. The Playstation brand isnt enough of a driving force to drive sales in the 3 aforementioned markets but the Playstation brand is strong enought o stand on its own inside those markets on competitors devices.

The ONLY way for this to move forward imo is it will need to be bundled with PSEye (obviously due to them not including PSEye with every PS4) and a non bundled version as well, and they should simply incorperate move into the headset mitigating the peripherals necessary.....but even then its going to HAVE to be $150 or less with the PSEye and $100 without.

Remember people will need a PS4, PSEye and the headset whereas with something like the Rift having a PC or laptop to utilize it already creates a much bigger market.

Forgive me, as a very Sony centric gamer, if I dont trust Sony to be able to pull this off.

Not to mention will the games compatible be VR only games or will they be bundled together like 3D movies being included with BD and DVD?

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
walsufnir said:
Gehirnkrampf said:
walsufnir said:
Hmm, still undecided as the project is still too young and in active development. Also, it uses Move and PSEye according to golem.de, which is quite a massive and expensive setup you have to have for Sony VR.

i also read that article, but i think move is not necessary. they said it 'works together' but it would be FATAL if the VR headset would need move to work.

i kind of like the idea of a VR headset. but i feel like sony will make wrong choices. they should make the device free to use on PC and smart devices. Oculus Rift already has a foot in the door and it should have been better for sony to invest in oculus. announce a partnership or something.

well, we have to see. now we should know that driveclub got delayed to be the first AAA game that runs on that VR headset. i guess i will get one, but that's just because i have too much money and buy too much shit i don't really need.

This is one substancial problem with Sony - they often try to "lock" their technology to make the best profits out of their tech. Generally from a business view this seems to be the right decision but for customers this is definitely not the best direction a company should go.

"Unnatural" audioc-ds, backdoors on audio-cds, proprietary memory solutions, own media formats, just to enforce their own solution is not the way of success in 2014 and the following years, in my opinion.

So yes, they should make their VR available to as many platforms as possible, with a free to use SDK, like MS did with Kinect on PC.

I agree 100%. This is why their annuncment that PSNow would work across multiple branded TV's, tablets and phones was such a huge step in the right direction. People ALREADY associate Playstation with SONY there is no need to try to manufacture and "capitalize" on this when they simply dont have the success in the necessary markets to do so. Sony is spread way too thin and doesnt hold the marketshare in tablets, phones or TV's to do so. The Playstation brand isnt enough of a driving force to drive sales in the 3 aforementioned markets but the Playstation brand is strong enought o stand on its own inside those markets on competitors devices.

The ONLY way for this to move forward imo is it will need to be bundled with PSEye (obviously due to them not including PSEye with every PS4) and a non bundled version as well, and they should simply incorperate move into the headset mitigating the peripherals necessary.....but even then its going to HAVE to be $150 or less with the PSEye and $100 without.

Remember people will need a PS4, PSEye and the headset whereas with something like the Rift having a PC or laptop to utilize it already creates a much bigger market.

Forgive me, as a very Sony centric gamer, if I dont trust Sony to be able to pull this off.

Not to mention will the games compatible be VR only games or will they be bundled together like 3D movies being included with BD and DVD?

Sony just needs to emphasize that the price difference between a PS4+Camera+Morpheus vs Laptop/PC+OR, shouldn't be that difficult.

steverhcp02 said:

Liked your first paragraph, but I guarantee that it'll be more than that!

Even $200 is cheap for such a wonderful thing.

I'm holding out for the ULTIMATE BUNDURU!

PS4, PSVita, PSEye, MORPHEUS.

All for the snugly amount of $800.

Why in hell's name would you get an iPhone over that!?

What I'm most concerned about is whether the hardware can actually handle it without games taking huge graphical cutbacks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but unless you want a blurfest this is gonna be running games at 720p on two screens, and 30fps on each screen, so effectively 60fps at 1440p? When the standard for PS4 is at most 30fps at 1080p?

Guessing it's gonna have shitty resolution.

Read op. So what does 1080p mean? One screen, two?

Still can't wait, but we'll probably have to wait until next gen or use a high end PC with occulus for a great VR experience.

Only the marketing campaign and the price will matter at the end. If it seems simple to use and not too expensive, the concept will dominate over the quality of the product. Just like the 1st Wii did have incredible sales with it's concept. Not too expensive PS4 bundles with this headset and the PS Eye inside will be the key, if the purpose is to democratize this technologie anyway.