By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - These resolution wars...

ironmanDX
Why? Surely people here who have enough tangible income at launch as well as multiple games can afford a PC capable of 1080p/60fps...

1080p/60fps - is a marketing play, comparable with ps4 - no, for any money, why - i stated before, and only minority can and would spend ~$1000 on PC after new generation of gpu, cpu, etc. will arrive later this year.

They're pretty much PC's this gen hardware wise anyway. I'll compare what I want to compare, thank you.

Yes and no, it's still much better gaming designated service and it's still only one config to optimize, not dealing with shitty API, and etc. etc. etc..

Note that if there was elite $999 MSRP console, no pc for any money(reasonable) would beat it for years(~5), but of cource that's a risky bussiness, and that's just a theory, but still.

Nintendo 2018

English is not my native language.
Around the Network

Resolution is one thing, but shader quality, dynamic lighting, high quality tessellation make a much bigger difference, and i think the ps4 will be able to show some of these attributes to an advanced level in their exclusives in the future. :)

Aerys said:
Not because you are blind that everyone else is blind.

You need to see a doctor an check you eyes.

I dont remember PS2 fans whining about xbox being more powerful and having better games back in 2001, they just accepted that fact ( well, the fact PS2 had more games helped)

I'm pretty sure the gap was more than the estimated 40-50% than we have between the PS4 and the XB1, but your point still stands.

I have confidence that the VG community (not just the VGC community) will come to terms with this sooner than later and divert the focal point of competition between the two platforms away from which hardware is more capable, because it's becoming increasingly apparent that it's not even a debate, and towards platform exclusive games and platform services. 

We'll see if I'm being too optimistic here in about a year if the hardware arguments haven't been dropped by all but the most stubborn, reality distortion field individuals. 

greenmedic88 said:
Aerys said:

I dont remember PS2 fans whining about xbox being more powerful and having better games back in 2001, they just accepted that fact ( well, the fact PS2 had more games helped)

I'm pretty sure the gap was more than the estimated 40-50% than we have between the PS4 and the XB1, but your point still stands.

I have confidence that the VG community (not just the VGC community) will come to terms with this sooner than later and divert the focal point of competition between the two platforms away from which hardware is more capable, because it's becoming increasingly apparent that it's not even a debate, and towards platform exclusive games and platform services. 

We'll see if I'm being too optimistic here in about a year if the hardware arguments haven't been dropped by all but the most stubborn, reality distortion field individuals. 

If the previous gens (6 & 7) are any indicator, hardware arguments are more common the closer the two competitors are in marketshare, although it will also diminish over time.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Aerys said:

Thats funny because I remember ps2 fans denying that fact.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/6426/f7pc.gif

^Yes that's me ripping it up in the GIF. :)

Around the Network
Too_Talls said:
Aerys said:

Did the internet forums internet communities even exist back then?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

The thing with the resolution war is that the X1 costs $100 more than the ps4 but its under-performing in the same games, so the resolution and frame rates are important cause people that buy the X1 are paying $100 more and it is not being justified... Other than that, yea its pretty useless overall

And that's just stupid, because you're not playing pixels, you're playing games. The value of the system is created by the quality (and quantity, and cost, etc) of the games, and not by the number of pixels that the system pushes or the number of unique pixels generated by the games.

Number of pixels should be a consideration, sure. All other things being equal, a game being output with higher resolution is better. But the PS4 and XBO do not have identical libraries, and do not share identical feature-sets. There are benefits to each system, and drawbacks to each system. The so-called "resolution wars" are because people insist that raw computational capability is the be-all and end-all of what makes a system great - and THAT is the problem.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Too_Talls said:
Aerys said:

Did the internet forums internet communities even exist back then?

Of course?!

Landguy said:
BHR-3 said:

"Resolution only accounts for a small part of how well a game looks" lol

resolution wars are going to be important b/c if i own both consoles it be nice to know which version to buy, the game is the same price why pay the same for the inferior one?

and if your talking about the stuff about fans of each MF creating drama on the internet "my console is better than yours" your gonna have to deal with it its the internet

i can barely tell the difference.  what game do you play that you just sit there and compare screenshots?  Oh, I know, it's called "resolution wars".  it's an online only browser based game.  the graphics are poor and most players are idiots.  I only recommend it to people with no need for a game console.

I can immediately tell a difference when a game is 1080p vs 720p. I know by which one does not strain my eyes and doesnt have jaggles everywhere

Landguy said:
BHR-3 said:

"Resolution only accounts for a small part of how well a game looks" lol

resolution wars are going to be important b/c if i own both consoles it be nice to know which version to buy, the game is the same price why pay the same for the inferior one?

and if your talking about the stuff about fans of each MF creating drama on the internet "my console is better than yours" your gonna have to deal with it its the internet

i can barely tell the difference.  what game do you play that you just sit there and compare screenshots?  Oh, I know, it's called "resolution wars".  it's an online only browser based game.  the graphics are poor and most players are idiots.  I only recommend it to people with no need for a game console.

Really? I can notice the differences from a mile away! The PS4 version wins hands down.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---