By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft wants to use Xbox Dashboard for political messages? Ugh.

Enspire said:

The adverts are small and hard to notice, they don't affect the ease of use of the dashboard. 

You pay for some tv channels but they still have ads, same thing here.

Doesn't matter, you've paid for the console and potentially a subscription so why are there adverts?

I py for Virgin and BBC, for BBC there are no adverts. For virgin  didn't pay for the Tivo box. I just don't understand it.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Enspire said:

The adverts are small and hard to notice, they don't affect the ease of use of the dashboard. 

Doesn't matter, you've paid for the console and potentially a subscription so why are there adverts?

I py for Virgin and BBC, for BBC there are no adverts. For virgin  didn't pay for the Tivo box. I just don't understand it.

Do you pay for sports channels, cable service or public transportation?

Goatseye said:
The Fury said:
Enspire said:

Wasn't XBLG a premium service? 

If you get ads on your channels its because your paying for the basic package and if you didn't want ads in your transport you would buy a car.

Stop excusing mediocrity, why does MS need politicians to pay for politcal ads, when Sony doesn't? Is Microsoft predicting a 2-Billion dollar quarterly loss?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Goatseye said:
X1 is not just a gaming machine, period.
Xbox Live is a service provided by MS and similar services like cable services, you get adverts.
You pay Southwest to transport you, you get to see adverts. You get in a bus you see adverts, you pay ticket to the movies you see adverts.

The last gaming machine was the Gamecube, every console since then has done more, and even the PS1 played audio CDs.

Defend the adverts all you want, but don't be suprised when this is what the future of gaming becomes. Sony already has a patent on in game video ads similar to that of mobile devices. So when gameplay is interupted by ads don't be suprised when the response you recieve is, "Gaming is a Service".

You guys pay for a gaming service. It's called PS+, if you don't pay for it monthly yo won't game. That's a perfect example of "Gaming is a Service" and most of you folks here are enamoured with it.

Goatseye said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Goatseye said:
X1 is not just a gaming machine, period.
Xbox Live is a service provided by MS and similar services like cable services, you get adverts.
You pay Southwest to transport you, you get to see adverts. You get in a bus you see adverts, you pay ticket to the movies you see adverts.

The last gaming machine was the Gamecube, every console since then has done more, and even the PS1 played audio CDs.

Defend the adverts all you want, but don't be suprised when this is what the future of gaming becomes. Sony already has a patent on in game video ads similar to that of mobile devices. So when gameplay is interupted by ads don't be suprised when the response you recieve is, "Gaming is a Service".

You guys pay for a gaming service. It's called PS+, if you don't pay for it monthly yo won't game. That's a perfect example of "Gaming is a Service" and most of you folks here are enamoured with it.

And tell me why do you think PS+ came into existence? And Why did they make it pay for multiplayer?

Here is a hint:

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Fair Point.

I do believe Microsoft is unfairly demonized, but as one could see in http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=179698, I also believe that Microsoft Xbox gets away with a lot more than its competitors with regards to their respective fanbases, and this politcal ad buisness, which isn't new, and I doubt exclusive to Xbox, should be a point of irritation rather than another thing in the long list of things that have been ignored by MS Xbox's consumers. As OP stated, even if it wasn't MS, it should be seen as a negative, and I'm sure if it wasn't it would blow up albiet for a small period but much more significantly, seeing the reaction to discovery of KZ:SF MP's rendering technique despite the fact that how something is rendered isn't included in resolution which is just display output. People were ready with pitchforks chanting "Sony lied!" about something they{The people} didn't even understand about the rendering technique of a Game Developed by a Second Party studio, but the direct statement from Microsoft about political ads on the XB1, when ads where a signifcant issue of X360's later interface, gets passed off as "not a big deal". And then, when the PS5 is released and the UI is full of ads because the XB1 got away with it, those same people who said its "not a big deal" will be the first ones claiming how Sony (The Failing Company) is greedy and will wonder why they would dare do such a thing. Meanwhile, Microsoft (The company not endanger of failing) gets excuses for why its not using its vast resources to fund more dev studios then Sony.

So yeah.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

It's like George Carlin said. They will keep taking more for them, and leaving less for you until they get it all. People have let MS inch their way forward with things like this so it's really all their fault. I was a big fan of their first two consoles until late last gen when they started throwing ads into everything they could. At some point, people need to wake up and vote with their wallet. If you don't, there's no one to blame but yourself.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Goatseye said:

Wasn't XBLG a premium service? 

If you get ads on your channels its because your paying for the basic package and 1if you didn't want ads in your transport you would buy a car.

2Stop excusing mediocrity, why does MS need politicians to pay for politcal ads, when Sony doesn't? Is Microsoft predicting a 2-Billion dollar quarterly loss?

1- Why would somebody buy a car just because of adverts on public transportation? Great analogy here.

2- You stop promoting trivial issues when it isn't necessary. Why does MS needs money when Sony doesn't? That's what I get from your comment.

Adverts don't hinder gaming experience on Xbox and any genuine Xbox owners can tell you that.

It's like paying to play online was a sacrilege last year and this year is ok.

It's hard to take you folks seriously...

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

And tell me why do you think PS+ came into existence? And Why did they make it pay for multiplayer?

Here is a hint:

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Fair Point.

I do believe Microsoft is unfairly demonized, but as one could see in http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=179698, I also believe that Microsoft Xbox gets away with a lot more than its competitors with regards to their respective fanbases, and this politcal ad buisness, which isn't new, and I doubt exclusive to Xbox, should be a point of irritation rather than another thing in the long list of things that have been ignored by MS Xbox's consumers. As OP stated, even if it wasn't MS, it should be seen as a negative, and I'm sure if it wasn't it would blow up albiet for a small period but much more significantly, seeing the reaction to discovery of KZ:SF MP's rendering technique despite the fact that how something is rendered isn't included in resolution which is just display output. People were ready with pitchforks chanting "Sony lied!" about something they{The people} didn't even understand about the rendering technique of a Game Developed by a Second Party studio, but the direct statement from Microsoft about political ads on the XB1, when ads where a signifcant issue of X360's later interface, gets passed off as "not a big deal". And then, when the PS5 is released and the UI is full of ads because the XB1 got away with it, those same people who said its "not a big deal" will be the first ones claiming how Sony (The Failing Company) is greedy and will wonder why they would dare do such a thing. Meanwhile, Microsoft (The company not endanger of failing) gets excuses for why its not using its vast resources to fund more dev studios then Sony.

So yeah.

I got better stuff to do than read a conspiracy-theoy-wall-of-nonsense.

Ads never hindered my experience but frequent network hiccups did.

I don't understand why people are surprised by this? There were political ads on the 360 and MS even broadcasted the political debates. Why would that change in the future?

The Fury said:
Why are there adverts on a console you've paid for? Infact why are there adverts on a console you've paid for which also has a subscription to access it's online feature?

I'm not kidding when I say this but having adverts on Xbox is joke and should never have been done, I'm surprised people put up with it. It's a disgrace and utterly awful.

Exactly.  Basically, more ways to make money off of people they are already making money off of with Live.  It would be different if Silver members had ads, but Gold didn't.  And you would think with the more expensive Live costs (compared to PS+), as well as ads on top, MS would be shelling out great games for GWG.  Instead, they mostly give out old games everyone has.  They gave away Tomb Raider: GoL, a 3 1/2 yr old downloadable game, not too long ago, while Sony gave away the actual retail TR.  HUGE discrepancy in value there.  Sad thing is, MS would have given nothing away (and many Xbox fans would be 100% fine with it) if Sony hadn't forced their hand with PS+.  I think this is part of the reason many gamers are jumping over to Sony's ship.