By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft wants to use Xbox Dashboard for political messages? Ugh.

Goatseye said:

It's like paying to play online was a sacrilege last year and this year is ok.

It's hard to take you folks seriously...

No. It is still a sacrilege. AND I KNOW EXACTLY WHY THEY DID IT.

Goatseye said:

I got better stuff to do than read a conspiracy-theoy-wall-of-nonsense.

Ads never hindered my experience but frequent network hiccups did.

Why do I have to spell it out for you?!

THE REASON WE PAY FOR MULTIPLAYER WITH PS+ IS BECAUSE XBOX HAS BEEN GETTING AWAY WITH IT SINCE 2006, AND THE XBOX CONSUMER IS LETTING THEM GET AWAY WITH IT! IN 2001, it was justifiable cause it was unique to Xbox. But in 2006, when the competition had free online, Xbox wasn't giving away free games, and when PS+ was released, they still didn't do it. It was only when PS+ was made mandatory that Xbox decided to care.

And its because of Xbox Consumer's that I have to pay for Multiplayer. Sony sat there in a crumbling house, starring at the money to fix it just lying on the table for 7 years. While Xbox had no qualms about sticking their hands into your pockets.

If Xbox had got away with DRM, I guarantee the idea of game resells and trading games would be ancient history. I've seen this sh1t coming ever since my OG Xbox. Shenmue 2, JSRF, Sega GT, Halo, Turok, Sonic Mega Collection, I had a ton of gaming fun on that thing, when my controllers broke I didn't hesitate to buy more, and my hdd was filled up with music and game saves. And then I would praise Xbox for using HDD rather than memory cards like the competitor. I wanted XBL but I didn't need it so I didn't get it. But ever since they abandoned it, I knew that Xbox doesn't give a ratass about their consumers, and every single time something negative comes out of Xbox with regards to their consumers, I can't even act suprised.

So go right on ahead, continue to defend this bullshit. When the standard for gaming becomes ads, fees, fees to remove ads don't be suprised.

Xbox ignoring their userbase is just common operating procedure at this point.

I can't stand by and let this shit happen, because I've already seen the effects of what happens when nobody gets angry. Fuck console allegiances, this is gamers looking out for gamers. Cause eventually I'm going to I already have to put up with the shit that I left behind with the Xbox 360. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

-

I like the Marine Corps ad on XBL. What about you?

Yeeaaah, I don't mind product ads, but political ads are where I draw the line. Keep that shit off of my home screen, thank you very much.

prayformojo said:
It's like George Carlin said. They will keep taking more for them, and leaving less for you until they get it all. People have let MS inch their way forward with things like this so it's really all their fault. I was a big fan of their first two consoles until late last gen when they started throwing ads into everything they could. At some point, people need to wake up and vote with their wallet. If you don't, there's no one to blame but yourself.

Well, the PS4 is selling quite a bit more than the One, so maybe they are starting to.  At least where gaming is concerned.

Goatseye said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

-

I like the Marine Corps ad on XBL. What about you?

Such Response.

If you must know:

This one.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Goatseye said:

Do you pay for sports channels, cable service or public transportation?

Wasn't XBLG a premium service? 

If you get ads on your channels its because your paying for the basic package and 1if you didn't want ads in your transport you would buy a car.

2Stop excusing mediocrity, why does MS need politicians to pay for politcal ads, when Sony doesn't? Is Microsoft predicting a 2-Billion dollar quarterly loss?

1- Why would somebody buy a car just because of adverts on public transportation? Great analogy here.

2- You stop promoting trivial issues when it isn't necessary. Why does MS needs money when Sony doesn't? That's what I get from your comment.

Adverts don't hinder gaming experience on Xbox and any genuine Xbox owners can tell you that.

It's like paying to play online was a sacrilege last year and this year is ok.

It's hard to take you folks seriously...

Do you even realize WHY there wasn't a huge stink about PS+ being necessary?  You support ads on a system you already paid for and are paying a subscription for, so probably not.  But I'll explain it to you.  It's because PS+ is a STEAL.  Sony actually made it a service of value.  They gave some nice extra features for the console, but mostly they give away great games.  Not ones that came out 4-5 years ago.  Newer ones.  And MOST IMPORTANTLY, they didn't take things that should be accessible to everyone, i.e. internet browser and Netflix, and shove them behind PS+ to give it FAKE value.  This is why many said that yes it sucked and they could understand if anyone would be mad about it, but that it wasn't that big a deal.  There's also the fact that most of the people who are buying PS4, now, either had PS+ or were paying for Live, but are now happy they are getting something worthwhile back now paying for their online.

Goatseye said:

Virgin is a cable service. It is my Phone line, ISP and Digital HD TV provider. I pay for a subscription but I don't pay for the extra sports channels. But I do not pay for the machine that allows me to watch and use all this stuff. My internet does not have random adverts on my computer in the corner.

I have a Tivo box and Wireless router given to me for nothing, installation was free. I pay for the serivce only. What MS are doing with the Xbox, doesn't matter the size of the adverts, are changing you for a device you can only use a few of the features unless you pay more and then advertising on it as well.

Hmm, pie.

thismeintiel said:

Do you even realize WHY there wasn't a huge stink about PS+ being necessary?  You support ads on a system you already paid for and are paying a subscription for, so probably not.  But I'll explain it to you.  It's because PS+ is a STEAL.  Sony actually made it a service of value.  They gave some nice extra features for the console, but mostly they give away great games.  Not ones that came out 4-5 years ago.  Newer ones.  And MOST IMPORTANTLY, they didn't take things that should be accessible to everyone, i.e. internet browser and Netflix, and shove them behind PS+ to give it FAKE value.  This is why many said that yes it sucked and they could understand if anyone would be mad about it, but that it wasn't that big a deal.  There's also the fact that most of the people who are buying PS4, now, either had PS+ or were paying for Live, but are now happy they are getting something worthwhile back now paying for their online.

i don't care about games age. I still play old Nintendo games and original Xbox titles.

For something to have a value people have to recognize it and I see a lot in XBL.

I LOVE IT. I watch free European and Brazilian soccer league games every week-end for $32-34/ year. Can't find that anywhere else. Capisce?

The Fury said:
Goatseye said:

Virgin is a cable service. It is my Phone line, ISP and Digital HD TV provider. I pay for a subscription but I don't pay for the extra sports channels. But I do not pay for the machine that allows me to watch and use all this stuff. My internet does not have random adverts on my computer in the corner.

I have a Tivo box and Wireless router given to me for nothing, installation was free. I pay for the serivce only. What MS are doing with the Xbox, doesn't matter the size of the adverts, are changing you for a device you can only use a few of the features unless you pay more and then advertising on it as well.

Still it's better for me than other boxes...

Seece said:
Nem said:

Microsoft and EA = Everything for money. They will sell their first borns if need be. No morality, no councious no principals.

I dont even bother getting annoyed anymore. This is just more as expected.

Ridiculous post. MS has done more for human rights/equality in the work place than Sony and Nintendo combined (noy hyperbole). Funny how all the genuinely good deeds they do go completel unnoticed.

Ridiculous post.

Thats all nice and dandy, but im more concerned about the good they can do for their customers. If microsoft donates to some charity its not helping me one bit when my 360 shows a RRoD and i have to pay for the repair or there is lack of exclusive support in the later years.