By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft wants to use Xbox Dashboard for political messages? Ugh.

VitroBahllee said:
Basically, they got a bunch of democratic candidates advertising on XBL before and they want the other side to feel comfortable doing the same thing - possibly so they don't look skewed politically and remain neutral.

And this angers people because... why?

Had no idea about that (bolded), but my overall issue is if I want to talk/research politics I have a place for that.  Really don't want to see political ads take over a hobby, ya know?  That's all, not necessarily 'angry', more of a 'ugh' hehe.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
thismeintiel said:

Do you even realize WHY there wasn't a huge stink about PS+ being necessary?  You support ads on a system you already paid for and are paying a subscription for, so probably not.  But I'll explain it to you.  It's because PS+ is a STEAL.  Sony actually made it a service of value.  They gave some nice extra features for the console, but mostly they give away great games.  Not ones that came out 4-5 years ago.  Newer ones.  And MOST IMPORTANTLY, they didn't take things that should be accessible to everyone, i.e. internet browser and Netflix, and shove them behind PS+ to give it FAKE value.  This is why many said that yes it sucked and they could understand if anyone would be mad about it, but that it wasn't that big a deal.  There's also the fact that most of the people who are buying PS4, now, either had PS+ or were paying for Live, but are now happy they are getting something worthwhile back now paying for their online.

i don't care about games age. I still play old Nintendo games and original Xbox titles.

For something to have a value people have to recognize it and I see a lot in XBL.

I LOVE IT. I watch free European and Brazilian soccer league games every week-end for $32-34/ year. Can't find that anywhere else. Capisce?

That's good for you.  Unfortunately for MS, with a clean slate this gen, many people are eyeing both consoles and their features, including what their online service offers, and are choosing the PS4.  What's going to be interesting is the drop off of Live subscribers from last gen to this gen.

VitroBahllee said:
Basically, they got a bunch of democratic candidates advertising on XBL before and they want the other side to feel comfortable doing the same thing - possibly so they don't look skewed politically and remain neutral.

They had something similar a few years back with Obama, no one cared then. They're just clutching at straws. It's sad. You'd think they'd have a better time playing their consoles of choice then.... whatever this is. 

mornelithe said:
VitroBahllee said:

Had no idea about that (bolded), but my overall issue is if I want to talk/research politics I have a place for that.  Really don't want to see political ads take over a hobby, ya know?  That's all, not necessarily 'angry', more of a 'ugh' hehe.

Take over a hobby? Ads on TV interrupt the program. Once you load the game on Xbox, no more ads. So...

Seece said:
Nem said:

Microsoft and EA = Everything for money. They will sell their first borns if need be. No morality, no councious no principals.

I dont even bother getting annoyed anymore. This is just more as expected.

Ridiculous post. MS has done more for human rights/equality in the work place than Sony and Nintendo combined (noy hyperbole). Funny how all the genuinely good deeds they do go completel unnoticed.

what has sony and nintendo got to do with any of this????

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
Seece said:
Nem said:

Microsoft and EA = Everything for money. They will sell their first borns if need be. No morality, no councious no principals.

Ridiculous post. MS has done more for human rights/equality in the work place than Sony and Nintendo combined (noy hyperbole). Funny how all the genuinely good deeds they do go completel unnoticed.

What did EA?

Don't see the big deal with this really. As long as the ads aren't too intrusive, it's algud with me!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

thismeintiel said:
-

That's good for you.  Unfortunately for MS, with a clean slate this gen, many people are eyeing both consoles and their features, including what their online service offers, and are choosing the PS4.  What's going to be interesting is the drop off of Live subscribers from last gen to this gen.

For some of you the console race is over... good for you.

If Xbox dominates in the US and UK you'll see the same dominance on online subscription as the last one.

ironmanDX said:
Shinobi-san said:
Seece said:
Nem said:

What did EA?

Quote Nem and ask him not me.

The Fury said:
Why are there adverts on a console you've paid for? Infact why are there adverts on a console you've paid for which also has a subscription to access it's online feature?

I'm not kidding when I say this but having adverts on Xbox is joke and should never have been done, I'm surprised people put up with it. It's a disgrace and utterly awful.

Why are there adverts on cable or satellite tv?  You aren't paying for advert free service, you are paying for access to the service.

It is near the end of the end....