Forums - Politics Discussion - What does Putin want with Ukraine

What is his end state

Annex Ukraine As a whole 337 40.60%

Annex Crimea 286 34.46%

Defend Russian People Fro... 184 22.17%

Total:807
PDF said:
Sharu said:

Hey. Guys, RUSSIA DIDN'T INVADE UKRAINE YET!
Putin just gave a big press conference regarding this, you can try to find translations by yourself,
I'll give you this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raHFAlaOjRc

Then who are the guys in green?

Still, the US wished their invasions went as well as this.  Most peaceful non-invasion invasion I have ever seen. 

Yeah, it's worth noting that not even the Russia Propganda station for the US is willing to believe that.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/03/04/RT-news-anchor-speaks-out-against-Russian-intervention/1991393958764/

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
JazzB1987 said:
Back to topic.
TBH
There is just so many russians in the ukraine because Russia wanted it to happen. Sending a ton of people there during the cold war so that the ukrainians will slowly become the minority (like China now does with Tibet).  At the same time Russia sent Ukrainians to other parts of the sowjet union. Happened with every ethnicity. Thin them out and replace them with ethnic russians so you slowly take over the country.

The "russkrainians" are illigitimately in the Ukraine. Send them back and problem solved. Its their own fault for establishing their existence in another country. And if they have a problem with that let Russia pay compensation I mean its Russias fault for sending them there right?  And if you now say  "but russia is another country it was the sowjet union who send them there" Then I will answer "but the third reich killed all the people why does Germany still have to pay for it?" Or "why are white people still not allowed to say the N word? The people who did bullshit are long gone"

???? What????

Let's start with ancient history:  Kievan Rus' was a loose federation of East Slavic tribes in Europe from the late 9th to the mid-13th century, under the reign of the Rurik dynasty. The modern peoples of Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia all claim Kievan Rus' as their cultural inheritance. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus'

The territory that is today the Ukraine was later under influence by mongols, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Poland and Russia, at least in parts. Remember, no nation Ukraine was built up to this point, the terrotories were under different influences. Since 1654 parts of the eastern Ukraine (a terroritory much smaller than the Ukraine of today) was russian. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-bank_Ukraine

The western part of the Ukraine came later also under russian influence, with the partitions of Poland. The southern parts were conquered by Russia from the Turks or more precise the Krim-tartars. These territories were named Novorossiya. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novorossiya  (Notice that Novorossiya is only the southern parts of todays Ukraine, the northern parts are marked as russian empire on the map.)

Only after the communist revolution in Russia the first Ukrainian state was founded: the Ukrainian People's Republic. That was the first Ukrainian nation. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_People's_Republic

You really think Russians were 'imported' in the time of the Soviet Republic? Think again.

Yeah.  It's less the russian's were imported in, so much as the ethnic ukranians were starved to deathy by stalin and shipped around.

You totally ignored the Ukrainian Cossacks as well.

Who totally did have their  own nation.  

Though they did align themselves with Russia, and Russia eventually betrayed them as russian leadership often is wont to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cossack_Hetmanate

That said, if I were the Ukraine i'd just cut and run with Crimea.

Let Russia have it and just immediatly take the rest of the ukraine into NATO.

Thank God it's not only me that thinks that RT is a blatant propaganda machine a la Cold War era. They don't even try to hide the natural gas Oligarchs money rained on them.

Kasz216 said:

Yeah.  It's less the russian's were imported in, so much as the ethnic ukranians were starved to deathy by stalin and shipped around.

Though they did align themselves with Russia, and Russia eventually betrayed them as russian leadership often is wont to do.

The cossack hetmanate was no ukrainian nation, it was a cossack nation. The people in the Ukraine that live now are successors of polish people, tatars (and a lot more) - and russians. They all are Ukrainian people. So still my answer to JazzB is - that these ukrainian people that feel russian are living there since generations. These different ethnics are the reason for the problems the Ukraine has. To solve them, you should make a politics that include all, not discriminate russians or tatars or someone else. The uprising at the maidan clearly was one-sided and ignored the people in the east. If the people at maidan don't want russians in the ukraine, they should let the eastern ukraine get independence.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kasz216 said:
ultima said:

And the emails of Klitschko leaked by anonymous? Do they also say nothing?

You'd say probably about half the Ukrainian people? What exactly would you say about them? And you still didn't explain how US goodwill is vitally important to the Ukrainian public or even state.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what you're referring to. As you noted, I wasn't at an age to care about these kinds of things 15 years ago.

EU loan practices aren't really relevant; I'm not accusing them of inconsistency. The fact remains that their loan offer was a very small fraction of what Ukraine had asked for.

As for your last sentence, that right there is much more of a conspiracy theory than what you were attacking earlier. Ukraine's economic collapse is in no way advantageous to Russia. Especially when you consider their push for a Customs Union.

Here's a  question... did you check the email addresses?  Would the advisor of the Lithuianian government use an @delfi.net tag?   @delfi.net is a public internet company.

That would be like if the CIA ran it's black ops through AOL, even though AOL could read all and have those emails and has shoddy security.  Or maybe Namepro.CA since delfi is actully an estonian email address.

If the emails were genuine at the very least it would be at "lrv.lt."  If it were some big US conspiracy he'd probably have a specific US.gov email address... that hey, probably doesn't have his name right out there like that.

I mean hell, Klitschko has his own private email server, the government of Lithuiania doesn't?

They're poorly made fakes relying on conspiracy theory sites, and main stream meadia being too lazy to bother to even do the slightest bit of fact checking.

Outside that it's a case of conflicting conspiracy theories.  The Nuland phonecall more or less exposes those emails as fakes.  Or at least, their importance exagerted.

You don't go through the trouble of directly funding a puppet party and puppet leader then specifically talk about trying to convince him to NOT be head of the country, espeically when polls show him to be the front runner.

That said.  The Ukraine isn't like Aremnia and those other countries.  The Ukraine is vital to Russia's well being on a much higher level, because Crimea is the only place to station their black sea fleet.

Loss of it would more or less make it impossible to have a Western fleet.   They don't want the Ukraine in a customs union.   They want the Ukraine to be a part of russia again, either offically or unofficially like South Ossetia.

They would be better off losing parts of actual russia then they would crimea.

As for the past.  THe Ukraine has only been indepedent since 1991, and didn't get a consitution ratified until 1996.  After decades and decades poor russian management, ethinic cleansing.  The worst of which being the Holomodor under Stalin.

Another name of which in Ukrainian is "Famine Genocide". 

So wait, the leaks are fake because of the email address? Because, you know, that'd be a very easy thing to change for the leakers. So that's a suspiciously dumb mistake (if it is one), considering they actually used a plausible domain for Klitschko. Are you also one of the people that deny US involvement in the Orange Revolution?

Russia actually has territory on the Black Sea. So the assertion that Crimea is the only place for their fleet is false. Especially when one takes into account the lease into 204X, which gives Russia plenty of time to develop a base in their own territory. Also, talk of Russia not wanting Ukraine in the Customs Union is nonsense. There have been many talks within Russia and Ukraine of that happening.

It's unfair to blame current Russia for the deeds of the Soviet government. Holodomor happened before WWII; is it fair to blame current Germany for things done by the Nazis? Regardless of what you (and many others) say, Russia has been a very good ally to Ukraine.

Around the Network
ultima said:
Kasz216 said:
ultima said:

So wait, the leaks are fake because of the email address? Because, you know, that'd be a very easy thing to change for the leakers. So that's a suspiciously dumb mistake (if it is one), considering they actually used a plausible domain for Klitschko. Are you also one of the people that deny US involvement in the Orange Revolution?

Russia actually has territory on the Black Sea. So the assertion that Crimea is the only place for their fleet is false. Especially when one takes into account the lease into 204X, which gives Russia plenty of time to develop a base in their own territory. Also, talk of Russia not wanting Ukraine in the Customs Union is nonsense. There have been many talks within Russia and Ukraine of that happening.

It's unfair to blame current Russia for the deeds of the Soviet government. Holodomor happened before WWII; is it fair to blame current Germany for things done by the Nazis? Regardless of what you (and many others) say, Russia has been a very good ally to Ukraine.

The Leakers are just Anoynymous Ukraine.  So just regular internet people really.  So yeah.  It was a dumb mistake.  It's not an unheard of thing, the Ukrainian people who linked it probably just didn't know anything about Lithuinian email addresses except what the popular one was, because they also tried, but failed to make some inroads in the Ukraine.

It wasn't some diliberate russian propaganda move.  Just someone from the intenret who favored one side making up a fake email.   

You really can't see just how  huge a gaping problem that internet it?

Maybe they can leak some conversations next betweek Klitchko and Obama, from his BHObama@Gmail.com email address.

As for the Orange revolution... the results of the second election showed the protestors were fully in the right.  So I'm not quite sure what the big complaint is there.

And no.  Russia really doesn't have anywhere else to put the black sea fleet.  Why the hell else would they station it in a foreign nation? 

Eventually they'll have a base built in Novorossiysk... even then it's a much poorer location then Sevestapool.  

and again... that 42 year lease means, nothing.  Since it was made under the deposed president.

So let me rephrase.  Crimea is far more important to Russia then the rest of the Ukraine.  They need it.

...and no.  Russia has pretty much always been the same to the Ukraine.

Terrible, and unwilling to let it actually stretch it's own wings...pretty much threatening it in various ways anyway it's tried to establish some independence.

Mnementh said:

The cossack hetmanate was no ukrainian nation, it was a cossack nation. The people in the Ukraine that live now are successors of polish people, tatars (and a lot more) - and russians.

In late 1942, Bandera's organization, the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists, was involved in a campaign of ethnic cleansing of Volhynia, and in early 1944, these campaigns began to include Eastern Galicia. It is estimated that nearly 70,000 Poles, mostly women and children along with unarmed men, were killed during the spring and summer campaign of 1943 in Volhynia[34] by the OUN-Bandera which bears primary responsibility for the massacres.

A lot of Maidan protestest support this.

Meanwhile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEgJ0oo3OA8

There is now stronger and stronger understanding that behind the snipers, it was not Yanukovich, but it was somebody from the new coalition,” Paet said during the conversation.

“I think we do want to investigate. I mean, I didn’t pick that up, that’s interesting. Gosh,” Ashton answered.

“And second, what was quite disturbing, this same Olga [Bogomolets] told as well that all the evidence shows that the people who were killed by snipers from both sides, among policemen and then people from the streets, that they were the same snipers killing people from both sides,” the Estonian FM stressed.

“So that she then also showed me some photos she said that as a medical doctor she can say that it is the same handwriting, the same type of bullets, and it’s really disturbing that now the new coalition, that they don’t want to investigate what exactly happened,” Paet said.

Mnementh said:
Kasz216 said:

The cossack hetmanate was no ukrainian nation, it was a cossack nation. The people in the Ukraine that live now are successors of polish people, tatars (and a lot more) - and russians. They all are Ukrainian people. So still my answer to JazzB is - that these ukrainian people that feel russian are living there since generations. These different ethnics are the reason for the problems the Ukraine has. To solve them, you should make a politics that include all, not discriminate russians or tatars or someone else. The uprising at the maidan clearly was one-sided and ignored the people in the east. If the people at maidan don't want russians in the ukraine, they should let the eastern ukraine get independence.

They were Ukranian Cossacks....

It was an independent Ukranian state, that was comprised mostly of the Ukraine.  That makes it a Ukranian state.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-03-05/behind-kiev-snipers-it-was-somebody-new-coaltion-stunning-new-leak-reveals-truth

So what now?

Btw, Kasz216, if you know nothing on history of Russia, better not come into the conversation. Or at least read 'Taras Bulba' by Gogol and 'Tihiy Don' by Sholohov. And find me anything on the so called 'ukrain cossacks'.