By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What does Putin want with Ukraine

What is his end state

Annex Ukraine As a whole 337 40.60%

Annex Crimea 286 34.46%

Defend Russian People Fro... 184 22.17%

Total:807
Jon-Erich said:
He wants political influence in that region. Even after the Cold War ended, it was clear that Russia and the West still didn't see eye to eye politically. Ukraine's new government is a pro-Western government and the last thing Putin wants is a pro-Western government on Russia's border. It's the same reason why China still supports North Korea's existence. They do not want a pro-American Korean government to border China. Also, with both China and Russia, less political influence over their neighbors means having less of an upper hand in economic affairs as well as political influence.

?

China does not support North Korea, we treat them as neutral as possible, South Korea is and always will be Chinas best buddy. Sweden did business with Germany during WW2, that doesn't mean that Sweden had Germany as their best buddy or supported them, they were just neutral. Heck, even American corporations did business with Germany during that time.

I'm so sick of foreigners saying stuff like that.

Second bolded part goes for any of the super powers in the world, it's a no brainer. Canada and Mexico to go pro-Euro and do affairs with them instead of the USA, yeah, USA would love that to happen. I think not.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Doesn't matter what it was, it matters what it is.

Putin is and always will be an unsophisticated thug.

I answered B

Doesnt matter that Tibet was a seperate country. It just matters that its now part of China. (does that sound right to you?)

There is much more to it than just saying "but now its like this".

I am not defending Putin here because why should I? What he is doing is stupid but then again how is he any different than The USA etc?
You know Russia does shit and everyone can see it  Russia does not give a fuck.
The USA on the other hand do shit and act like the nice guys. Trying to hide it etc. Thats even worse IMO.

Back to topic.
TBH
There is just so many russians in the ukraine because Russia wanted it to happen. Sending a ton of people there during the cold war so that the ukrainians will slowly become the minority (like China now does with Tibet).  At the same time Russia sent Ukrainians to other parts of the sowjet union. Happened with every ethnicity. Thin them out and replace them with ethnic russians so you slowly take over the country.

The "russkrainians" are illigitimately in the Ukraine. Send them back and problem solved. Its their own fault for establishing their existence in another country. And if they have a problem with that let Russia pay compensation I mean its Russias fault for sending them there right?  And if you now say  "but russia is another country it was the sowjet union who send them there" Then I will answer "but the third reich killed all the people why does Germany still have to pay for it?" Or "why are white people still not allowed to say the N word? The people who did bullshit are long gone"

Also Russia stole parts of poland and sent poles to parts of Germany. So at least for once let russians lose territory (which does not even belong to them). I mean they interfere with the Ukraine and will probably want the country to split in half so Russia can absorb the Crimea but at the same time they prevented South ossetia from becoming independant.

Thats just hilarious.

If you ask me Russia has been playing Possum for the past 20 years waiting for people to let the guard down. You don't think Obama's "clever" quip in the debates to Mitt Romney "Mitt the 80's called it wants its foreign policy back" emboldened Putin your crazy.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Rebuild the Soviet Union

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

ultima said:
Kasz216 said:
ultima said:
Kasz216 said:
ultima said:
Kasz216 said:
haxxiy said:

And the emails of Klitschko leaked by anonymous? Do they also say nothing?

You'd say probably about half the Ukrainian people? What exactly would you say about them? And you still didn't explain how US goodwill is vitally important to the Ukrainian public or even state.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what you're referring to. As you noted, I wasn't at an age to care about these kinds of things 15 years ago.

EU loan practices aren't really relevant; I'm not accusing them of inconsistency. The fact remains that their loan offer was a very small fraction of what Ukraine had asked for.

As for your last sentence, that right there is much more of a conspiracy theory than what you were attacking earlier. Ukraine's economic collapse is in no way advantageous to Russia. Especially when you consider their push for a Customs Union.

Here's a  question... did you check the email addresses?  Would the advisor of the Lithuianian government use an @delfi.net tag?   @delfi.net is a public internet company.

That would be like if the CIA ran it's black ops through AOL, even though AOL could read all and have those emails and has shoddy security.  Or maybe Namepro.CA since delfi is actully an estonian email address.

If the emails were genuine at the very least it would be at "lrv.lt."  If it were some big US conspiracy he'd probably have a specific US.gov email address... that hey, probably doesn't have his name right out there like that.

I mean hell, Klitschko has his own private email server, the government of Lithuiania doesn't?

They're poorly made fakes relying on conspiracy theory sites, and main stream meadia being too lazy to bother to even do the slightest bit of fact checking.

Outside that it's a case of conflicting conspiracy theories.  The Nuland phonecall more or less exposes those emails as fakes.  Or at least, their importance exagerted.

You don't go through the trouble of directly funding a puppet party and puppet leader then specifically talk about trying to convince him to NOT be head of the country, espeically when polls show him to be the front runner.

That said.  The Ukraine isn't like Aremnia and those other countries.  The Ukraine is vital to Russia's well being on a much higher level, because Crimea is the only place to station their black sea fleet.

Loss of it would more or less make it impossible to have a Western fleet.   They don't want the Ukraine in a customs union.   They want the Ukraine to be a part of russia again, either offically or unofficially like South Ossetia.

They would be better off losing parts of actual russia then they would crimea.

As for the past.  THe Ukraine has only been indepedent since 1991, and didn't get a consitution ratified until 1996.  After decades and decades poor russian management, ethinic cleansing.  The worst of which being the Holomodor under Stalin.

Another name of which in Ukrainian is "Famine Genocide". 

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
russian government and overlord putin are two-faced lying fascist thugs with no respect for international law, international treaties, or the truth.

They are absoultely no different than the western two faced lying fascist thugs  with no respect for international law, international treaties, or the truth.

recources

Europe is split apart once again, well done. And I don't wanna judge who's right or wrong. It doesn't matter, it's a shitty situation. I just hope nobody loses their nerves so this won't become a full blown war or something.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
Europe is split apart once again, well done. And I don't wanna judge who's right or wrong. It doesn't matter, it's a shitty situation. I just hope nobody loses their nerves so this won't become a full blown war or something.

It will not happen. Putin said they dont wanna annexation Crimea, just cover ppl until elections.

By the way, Putin shows for the whole world that Obama is so weak.

KingofTrolls said:
OdinHades said:

It will not happen. Putin said they dont wanna annexation Crimea, just cover ppl until elections.

By the way, Putin shows for the whole world that Obama is so weak.

Putin just got the whole Europe to side with the Western block.

A military resolution would never be considered. US will go the smart way and hostilize reception to Russian businesses (moneyflow in Europe).

By the way what did Putin do when US supplied directly Turkey with Anti-air missiles? He gruntled, but did he do?