By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create; Famitsu & Dengeki (Feb 10-16)

superhippy420 said:
I am really starting to think Nintendo's biggest problem is the price. The Wii launched at $250 with a great game in Wii Sports and then was lowered to $199 in 2009 when sales started to slow down. The Wii U is still $299 with a game (NSMBU) that everyone has played atleast 2 of on Wii and DS. Just today someone was selling Mario Wii U bundles on Ebay for $270 and sold 1100 within 2 hours. The price is close to what people are willing to pay, but as of right now it's just not that cheap. Same goes for the 3DS. The XL model (which is the only one anyone really wants) is $199. The original DS really didn't sell very well but when the DS Lite came out for only $129 it sold like crazy. The 3DS XL needs to drop to $149, regular to $129 and the 2DS for $99. The $149 3DS XL's during the holidays sold like crack, but at $199 the sales will stay pretty mild.

I agree that price is a factor and if the 3DS family was in the $99-149 range and Wii U in the $199-249 range than sales would be higher by a decent margin. The problem Nintendo has is that those prices arent attainable right now. Wii U is currently sold at a loss so they need all the profit they can get from 3DS. I honestly believe thats the real reason behind 2DS, the OG and XL were due for price cuts but wasnt financially viable so they released a downgraded sku at a lower price. Maybe near the end of the year or next year those prices will be possible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
superhippy420 said:
I am really starting to think Nintendo's biggest problem is the price. The Wii launched at $250 with a great game in Wii Sports and then was lowered to $199 in 2009 when sales started to slow down. The Wii U is still $299 with a game (NSMBU) that everyone has played atleast 2 of on Wii and DS. Just today someone was selling Mario Wii U bundles on Ebay for $270 and sold 1100 within 2 hours. The price is close to what people are willing to pay, but as of right now it's just not that cheap. Same goes for the 3DS. The XL model (which is the only one anyone really wants) is $199. The original DS really didn't sell very well but when the DS Lite came out for only $129 it sold like crazy. The 3DS XL needs to drop to $149, regular to $129 and the 2DS for $99. The $149 3DS XL's during the holidays sold like crack, but at $199 the sales will stay pretty mild.

Wii U has 3 or 4 "major" problems. That's just one of them. 

pezus said:

I think 5-6m won't be too far off the mark. Unless something magical happens. That would mean something like 25% attach rate over WiiU's lifetime.

@Kresnik: That's MAD

6 Million seems pretty likely. I'm not expecting Mario Kart 64 numbers here.

Oh my...

Am I sick and twisted as a Nintendo fan for enjoying this game flopping?

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
Am I sick and twisted as a Nintendo fan for enjoying this game flopping?

As if Metroid wouldn't have performed even worse, lol. 

The Japanese aren't exactly big fans of DKC, right?

Panama said:
The Japanese aren't exactly big fans of DKC, right?

DKC 1-3, DK 64, Returns all sold over 1 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

That's it?

35k? Barely any hardware boost? I didn't expect the world to catch on fire, but certainly better than this. That's just a third of the sales of a certain port (DKCR naturally) to a handheld of a game that 'everyone' already got on a home console. Man, Japan really hates home consoles these days.

Sony better pray it'll be better for them, and that there's still a little light in the home console market there .

Zero999 said:
trestres said:
As expected, catastrophic situation for the Wii U. Nothing else coming until the last day of May.

More than 3 months of Drought.

We may see sub 3k numbers. The Wii U is officially dead.

bolded: you wish. literally, you seem to wish that in your posts.

No, you wish it WASN'T dead. Every post you make is an apology in the name of Nintendo and a straight up lie. Doesnt matter how hard you try to deceive yourself and others, the truth is just one.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies