By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create; Famitsu & Dengeki (Feb 10-16)

seiya19 said:

Yes, I'm aware of his post history. I don't see how this justifies it though... 

Justifies what?  You questioned why he does it with your first line:

"Why is it every time a game underperforms on a Nintendo platform {...]"

We know why he does it.  And honestly, I don't think there's going to be any convincing him otherwise at this point.  Unless we started moderating people for only seeing the perks of their favourite platforms and failures of their least favourite platform, in which case we might as well just permaban half of the forum.

But, if you want to carry on taking him up about it then go ahead, I won't stop you.  I will just warn you that it may be a difficult task.

seiya19 said:

The main reason a lot of those ports exist is largely driven by the hardware similarities between PS3 and Vita, with the success of the former being key here. The premise of selling to the "Playstation audience" also exists of course, but in less degree. In addition, let's not forget here that HD development is clearly more expensive than 3DS one, specially multiplatform. While this doesn't apply as much to niche developers who are already on a budget, it does apply to bigger projects, like the ones from Namco for example.

And my points didn't state anything about questioning said support in the matter of profitability, just that the potential of the platform is limited by said strategy. Or are you going to disagree with the idea that these games would favor Vita more if they were exclusive to the platform in both software and hardware sales ?

I think the success of the PS3 was the reason for the ports beginning, but I don't think that's why they continued - and that was my point of profitability.  If Vita was getting all of these ports and none of them were selling enough to recoup their costs + profit, then they'd stop.  As simple as that. 

I think we're veering into the territory of "ports don't count" again.  Yes, 3DS receives more exclusive support, I'm not arguing that (see my first post or this sentence for proof of that), and if Auron had said "and that's why Vita receives more exclusive support", you could've gone to town on that sentence and I wouldn't have intervened.  But that's not what he said.

(In addition, I don't really think Namco engage in particularly big projects - or the ones they do don't appear on Vita/3DS.  Sure, something like Tekken will have a more-AAA sized budget, but stuff like Magi/Gundam/One Piece/Dragon Ball/Toriko are outsourced to developers that are in effect in the same vein as someone like Compile Heart or Gust.  Yes, Namco are a big corporation, but that doesn't make all of their games AAA projects)

Around the Network

Media Create back 30:

21./08. [PSV] Super Heroine Chronicle <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.06} (¥7.480) 
22./12. [PS3] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (¥5.229) 
23./26. [PS3] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥7.140) 
24./18. [PSV] Disgaea 4 Return <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2014.01.30} (¥6.729) 
25./34. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) 
26./29. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) 
27./14. [PSV] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (¥5.229) 
28./23. [PS3] Saints Row IV <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft) {2014.01.23} (¥5.980) 
29./35. [PS3] Battlefield 4 <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.11.07} (¥7.665) 
30./36. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) 
31./13. [PS3] Super Heroine Chronicle <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.02.06} (¥8.480) 
32./28. [PSV] Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster: Twin Pack # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.26} (¥7.140) 
33./30. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.11.14} (¥7.980) 
34./43. [3DS] Disney Magic World # <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.01} (¥5.480) 
35./42. [3DS] Aikatsu! Futari no My Princess <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) 
36./31. [PSV] Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.23} (¥6.480) 
37./00. [PSP] Akaya Akashiya Ayakashino # <ADV> (Asgard) {2014.02.13} (¥6.720) 
38./37. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 # <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} (¥6.980) 
39./46. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited World Red # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.980) 
40./44. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) 
41./45. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy: Big Bang / Supernova <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.12.05} (¥5.500) 
42./19. [PSV] Amagami (EBKore+) <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.01.30} (¥5.040) 
43./39. [WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version! # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.21} (¥5.480) 
44./38. [3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2 # <ACT> (Sega) {2013.11.28} (¥6.279) 
45./27. [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.01.23} (¥7.480) 
46./00. [WIU] Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games <SPT> (Nintendo) {2013.12.05} (¥5.985) 
47./47. [PSV] God Eater 2 # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.11.14} (¥5.980) 
48./25. [WIU] Puyo Puyo Tetris <PZL> (Sega) {2014.02.06} (¥5.229) 
49./00. [3DS] Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.06.13} (¥4.800) 
50./00. [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.12.05} (¥4.990) 

Zax said:
LOL @ GTAV getting a 67 in reader reviews. They'll give that poor scores but a cheaply made anime game where you romance girls and they all sing in maid outfits and act "kawaii" they'll eat that shit up.

GTA5 has sold more than any otaku game in existence. Your comment is horrible and you should feel bad.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

seiya19 said:

BaldrSkies said:

If you want to talk about a game bombing due to being put on the wrong platform, Toushin Toshi comes to mind. I think it would have sold double on Vita. Major blunder by Imageepoch in terms of reading demographics.

See, there's no evidence of this... Toushin Toshi did 23k first week. That's more than what Exstetra did on 3DS and Vita FW combined, and as much as Conception II did also FW on both platforms combined. Where's the evidence of this "bombing" or being capable of selling better on Vita ? Is it just the belief that anything "otaku" can sell better on it, regardless of how it's done or the difference in install bases ? And even if this were the case, does it mean that by the same logic every 3rd party platformer should be on a Nintendo platform no matter the situation of said platform ?

Love Plus and Senran Kagura have already proven how 3DS can sell niche software directed at "otaku", beyond what Toushin Toshi did. This should be enough to at least give the benefit of the doubt to the platform here.

All this aside, the choice of platform for Toushin Toshi or Soni Pro might not had been up to ImageEpoch, but the respective IP owners. And/or, ImageEpoch might have chosen 3DS as the platform to focus on from the start, as they have an SRPG game in development that could very well end up on 3DS, like the Luminous Arc games were on DS.

You should take a look at some of your own examples of 3DS otaku sales and rethink your argument.

Kresnik said:

Justifies what?  You questioned why he does it with your first line:

"Why is it every time a game underperforms on a Nintendo platform {...]"

We know why he does it.  And honestly, I don't think there's going to be any convincing him otherwise at this point.  Unless we started moderating people for only seeing the perks of their favourite platforms and failures of their least favourite platform, in which case we might as well just permaban half of the forum.

But, if you want to carry on taking him up about it then go ahead, I won't stop you.  I will just warn you that it may be a difficult task.

Justify his misleading comments. I don't see how just stating who he is justifies the comments themselves. And if you recognize this, then I don't know why you're arguing with me about this in the first place. Given how we are on a site dedicated to sales, and within that a topic also dedicated to sales, how is correcting or debating said comments irrelevant ?

I'm sure I won't change his mind, but that wasn't my intention. The question you pointed out was rhetorical, and I didn't expect much of an answer, if any. As I stated before, my intention was to correct his factual error and evidence his double-standard. Again, not everyone who reads these threads is familiar with the Japanese market and his post history. And the point also goes beyond him, as he's hardly the only one who does it. Blaming the platform is a common response when it comes to evaluating underperforming 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms, yet not on the rest. I could give many examples here, but it's not worth getting into it now.

Kresnik said:

I think the success of the PS3 was the reason for the ports beginning, but I don't think that's why they continued - and that was my point of profitability.  If Vita was getting all of these ports and none of them were selling enough to recoup their costs + profit, then they'd stop.  As simple as that. 

I think we're veering into the territory of "ports don't count" again.  Yes, 3DS receives more exclusive support, I'm not arguing that (see my first post or this sentence for proof of that), and if Auron had said "and that's why Vita receives more exclusive support", you could've gone to town on that sentence and I wouldn't have intervened.  But that's not what he said.

(In addition, I don't really think Namco engage in particularly big projects - or the ones they do don't appear on Vita/3DS.  Sure, something like Tekken will have a more-AAA sized budget, but stuff like Magi/Gundam/One Piece/Dragon Ball/Toriko are outsourced to developers that are in effect in the same vein as someone like Compile Heart or Gust.  Yes, Namco are a big corporation, but that doesn't make all of their games AAA projects)

Again, let me make this perfectly clear, I didn't questioned the existance of said Vita ports in any way in the context of profitability or validity. Yes, they make sense financially, yes people can perfectly enjoy them as much as exclusives or more, yes it still counts as 3rd party support. Do they favor the platform as much as exclusives do ? No, as the fact that people can play them on other platforms doesn't give as much incentive to pick up the platform for them, and it splits up the sales. Does it show the same level of commitment or confidence from the 3rd party to make just ports and rarely, if ever, exclusives ? No, as exclusives are more of a risk in general, needing to be created from the ground up and putting your eggs on one basket. For the record, these arguments could also be used when discussing WiiU for example (aside the fact that WiiU can't even get ports on a regular basis...), so it's not just about Vita.

Regarding Namco, sure, many of their games are relatively low budget, but when compared to 3DS development, the fact of those being HD and on 2 platforms still counts. For example, I'm sure Magi costed a lot less to make than Super Heroine Chronicle (licensing costs aside, which we don't know), and both of them are surely low budget. Games like J-Stars, the musou licensed games, God Eater and Dragon Ball: Battle of Z certainly cost considerably more. Musou games in general might be considered cheap for Western standards, but I'm pretty sure in Japan they're of a medium budget, certainly above most licensed games. And the DBZ game is probably of low budget compared to previous HD ones, but it was still a DBZ game, meant to be released worldwide. None of them would qualify as "AAA" games of course, but little Japanese games do, specially if we get into Japan-only games.

As for outlawauron's comments, my points about ports were not the only ones, and I already stated why I made the distinction. Small/medium-sized projects do not favor Vita over 3DS in my opinion, and the things I mentioned go in that direction. If you believe that whether a game is exclusive or not in this specific context is irrelevant, then I guess we have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's the same for Namco to port a Super Robot Taisen to Vita than make an exclusive one from the ground up, like they did with 3DS, for example. It's not the same level of support. Just counting games without taking into account this and other elements is not the full story to me.      

outlawauron said:

You should take a look at some of your own examples of 3DS otaku sales and rethink your argument.

I'm not sure what your point is... By VGChartz numbers, New Love Plus sold over 100k first week, and 140k lifetime, despite being notorious for being a bugged release. That's more than what most of these "otaku" games on Vita do, and while down from the DS games, certainly enough to greenlight a sequel, as we know. Senran Kagura was a new IP, sold over 50k FW, and according to VGChartz over 150k LT. Burst, more of an expansion than a full new game was also a success, and now we have a new game on 3DS coming.

If you're refering to Shinobi Versus in comparison to the Senran Kagura games on 3DS, then there's plenty of reasons why the game could've sold better outside of the platform. That game is a musou-style game compared to the more traditional beat 'em up style of the 3DS games, and it was released at the week of Vita's price cut and around the time of the anime. Some also claim it is the better game, and it probably costed more to make. Besides, given how the original game was a new IP and Burst was more of an expansion, how do we compare things here ?

Again, these games proved how there's success to be found in the platform in this area, so arguing that Vita should have some sort of monopoly on these games is unfounded (and ridiculous, regardless of type of game or platform...). Pointing at multiplatform games is not the whole story, as it doesn't tell us how many 3DS owners chose to go for the Vita version despite already having a 3DS. If they would've gotten the game either way, then having a Vita version didn't expand the audience, just increased costs. Is there any evidence of a significant number of Japanese gamers interested in these type of games refusing to buy a 3DS for some reason ? How many Vita owners in Japan also have a 3DS ? I, for one, don't know.

Basically, there's plenty of factors at stake here, and many reasons why these companies would chose one platform or going multiplatform. The merits of each choice can't be discussed on just the basic premise of "x" type of game being on "y" platform, nor can we evaluate the performance that way. And if these companies are making decisions which go in contrast to the usual arguments stated here, then maybe that's for a reason and not just pure whim...

PS: I've already wrote too much, so I'll shut up now... >.<  I'll only post again if there's any question to answer.

Around the Network
seiya19 said:

then I guess we have to agree to disagree. 

I think that's probably the best in this situation, we could go on for weeks more and not reach a consensus on this I think :p

It's been interesting reading a different pov though, that's what forums are all about ^^

seiya19 said:

outlawauron said:

If you're refering to Shinobi Versus in comparison to the Senran Kagura games on 3DS, then there's plenty of reasons why the game could've sold better outside of the platform. That game is a musou-style game compared to the more traditional beat 'em up style of the 3DS games, and it was released at the week of Vita's price cut and around the time of the anime. Some also claim it is the better game, and it probably costed more to make. Besides, given how the original game was a new IP and Burst was more of an expansion, how do we compare things here ?

Again, these games proved how there's success to be found in the platform in this area, so arguing that Vita should have some sort of monopoly on these games is unfounded (and ridiculous, regardless of type of game or platform...). Pointing at multiplatform games is not the whole story, as it doesn't tell us how many 3DS owners chose to go for the Vita version despite already having a 3DS. If they would've gotten the game either way, then having a Vita version didn't expand the audience, just increased costs. Is there any evidence of a significant number of Japanese gamers interested in these type of games refusing to buy a 3DS for some reason ? How many Vita owners in Japan also have a 3DS ? I, for one, don't know.

Basically, there's plenty of factors at stake here, and many reasons why these companies would chose one platform or going multiplatform. The merits of each choice can't be discussed on just the basic premise of "x" type of game being on "y" platform, nor can we evaluate the performance that way. And if these companies are making decisions which go in contrast to the usual arguments stated here, then maybe that's for a reason and not just pure whim...

PS: I've already wrote too much, so I'll shut up now... >.<  I'll only post again if there's any question to answer.

I think you're spinning Senran Kagura here. A spinoff of a series that had previously only released on the 3DS is the best selling game in the series. It can be put in whatever light you'd like. At worst, you can say the platforms are equilvalent for lower tier games (but this clearly isn't the case unless you believe all 3rd parties are out to get Nintendo).

Kresnik said:
seiya19 said:

then I guess we have to agree to disagree. 

I think that's probably the best in this situation, we could go on for weeks more and not reach a consensus on this I think :p

It's been interesting reading a different pov though, that's what forums are all about ^^

Agreed. ^_^

outlawauron said:

A spinoff of a series that had previously only released on the 3DS is the best selling game in the series.

For the record, VGChartz has SV and the original around the same level LTD, with Burst not too far off (which is getting a budget re-release soon in Japan). I'm not sure if this is accurate though, and we are also missing digital sales anyway. If anyone has another source for LTD sales, let me know.