By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create; Famitsu & Dengeki (Feb 10-16)

fatslob-:O said:

The WII U is pretty much dead in it's tracks sooo yeah ? 

What are you saying that to? The fact that they have to put a lot of effort into the Wii U to get 25 Million or the fact that the lowest selling Mario Kart was 5.4 Million?

Mario Kart still sold 6 Million + on a console that was struggling pretty badly. Albeit not Wii U bad, but still bad. Mario Kart 64 also sold nearly 10 Million on a console with ~32 Million console base.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
fatslob-:O said:

The WII U is pretty much dead in it's tracks sooo yeah ? 

What are you saying that to? The fact that they have to put a lot of effort into the Wii U to get 25 Million or the fact that the lowest selling Mario Kart was 5.4 Million?

Mario Kart still sold 6 Million + on a console that was struggling pretty badly. Albeit not Wii U bad, but still bad. Mario Kart 64 also sold nearly 10 Million on a console with ~32 Million console base.

The WII U is probably gonna end up with less than 15 mil in it's lifetime and the highest attach rate on consoles is 30% so it could potentially sell less than 5 mil ...

zorg1000 said:
How does Pikmin sell nearly 100k FW and boost Wii U over 20k then Donkey Kong does 40k and no boost?

Maybe because the system had momentum to drive unpopular titles like pikmin whereas Donkey Kong needed some system selling powers to be able to drive the sales itself ?

Carl2291 said:

Call of Duty peaked at MW3. It dropped with Blops 2 and is currently dropping again with Ghosts.

Battlefield 4 is selling less than Battlefield 3

Medal of Honor Warfighter sold a lot less than Medal of Honor

Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold less than XIII, Lightning Returns is gonna bomb.

Nintendo developers need creative freedom I think.

Those drops regarding FPS games might be due to the current transition of hardware, I believe. Between less money available for games and the desire in playing said games in the latest hardware, people might be either skipping the current game or planning to buy it afterwards. After all, the drop from Black Ops 2 was minimal. And Warfighter had a rather poor reception too, which has probably a lot to do with its current sales. Besides, while I wouldn't be surprised if people were indeed getting tired of them, their sales are still good enough to be justified... And I say this as someone that couldn't care less for the genre.

As for Final Fantasy XIII, I think we all know what's that about... After all, X-2 and XII also sold considerably less than X, so a decrease is to be expected anyway. I'm sure XV will outsell XIII-2 and Lightning Returns easily. I believe It's worth noting here that Tales of Xillia is bound to be the best selling Tales ever despite Namco having released several Tales before it this gen, the direct sequel also sold quite well if not as much, and they have a new one coming already for PS3, not to mention the several mobile ones. That's a good example of a JRPG franchise getting "milked", yet still providing great results. And i don't see Tales fans complaining...

Regarding Nintendo, I think they have enough freedom for who they are... Monolith Soft is clearly free to work on whatever they want. Game Freak is experimenting more now than ever with Soliti Horse and HarmoKnight, and I'm not sure if the upcoming detective game with a rather unusual Pikachu is from them. Sakurai (Sora) got to revive Kid icarus in a completely different style from the original, before starting to work on Smash. Intelligent Systems has been experimenting with digital games for a while now, with Pushmo and Crashmo being the latest examples, and I'm not sure how much of them are working in the question mark that is Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. Then you have stuff like Steel Diver, Style Saavy, Jam with the Band, Tomodachi Collection, Kiki Trick, etc that pop up from time to time.

Honestly, I think some people just have unreasonable expectations... You often find people that ask for new IPs from them (ignoring the ones already out), while on the same breath asking for many of their old IPs to get attention, all at once. And worst of all, expecting Nintendo to stop making Mario games and other big sellers instead, which are their bread and butter. How is Nintendo supposed to finance these expensive, "hardcore" new IPs or revive relatively niche franchises without selling their big hitters ? I love F-Zero and Star Fox myself, but let's be realistic, how many people out there are going to get a WiiU for them ? Or how many would buy a WiiU for yet another FPS or TPS, without having the specs of PS4/Xbox One to back it up ? I'm not claiming there's no room to take more risks here, but they already experiment a lot with their classic IPs, to the point of some cases being even criticized for it (Paper Mario Sticker Star and Metroid: Other M come to mind). And then, when they do release new IPs, people often don't seem to care (The Wonderful 101, Steel Diver, Dillon's Rolling Western, FlingSmash, etc). Or beg for a port, if there's even the slightest chance of it (The Last Story, again TW101, and you could add Bayonetta 2 here).

Long story short (too late...), Nintendo just can't win with some people. There's obviously a lot of things they could do better, but if they were to listen to many of their "fans" and critics, they would've disappeared a long time ago.

PS: Sorry for the relatively long post... Too much to say, and I just took the opportunity to address a few recurrent arguments...

I believe it will be way better in the west.
In japan, DK:TF is coming between a Dragon Quest launch on 3DS and the PS4 launch. Also it has a very ocidental style to its art and sound.

In USA DK:TF had 91k pre-order 2 weeks prior to release. As an example, SM3DW had 96k at launch.
Not saying it will help as much as SM3DW, since we are not in holyday season, but it will help a little.

Around the Network

PSVita is with no games... So much potential awaiting to be exploited.

ryuzaki57 said:

Thsi wins the entire internet.

donkey kong sold a little less than i expected, but i was right with the little to no hardware boost.

pezus said:

ioi shouldn't track it since it's download imo. It's only fair.

But he's tracked New Super Mario Bros. U and Wii Party U download vouchers that were bundled in with WiiU's.

Carl2291 said:
That is a bomb. DKC:TF is a bomb people.

The re-release of DKCR on 3DS sold over 100k Week 1 and helped boost 3DS HW by over 20%, which was funnily enough about 8500 units.

This is a terrible opening.

Tropical Freeze would have made a fantastic handheld game. I'm not getting it for the Wii U though. I've had my share of platformers on the Wii U and I'm still totally butthurt and biased over no Metroid.