By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Media Create; Famitsu & Dengeki (Feb 10-16)

Kresnik said:
jonathanalis said:
heavy blizzard in japan could explain these DK sales?

I was wondering how long it would take for this to show up :P

Only makes it more sad, people are waiting already in line for a PS4 and some were sent home because of the heavy blizzard but can not pick up DK crazy =p.

Around the Network
 Soundwave said:

Congratulations to Mr. Iwata, Mr. Genyo Takeda, and everyone else on Nintendo's board of directors.

You've successfully made the first Nintendo console that can't even sell Nintendo software (let alone 2nd or 3rd party content).

Kudos, because it takes real effort to be that out of touch with the marketplace. But hey, at least you're "unique". Maybe you can proactively announce you're taking a pay cut for the next fiscal year while you're at it. 

This isn't the fault of EAD or Retro or Platinum Games ... they are delivering good content ... Nintendo's management has f*cked this console up so badly beyond repair from day 1. Mario Kart 8 is doing nothing but providing a temporary boost and then will probably end up being the lowest selling console Mario Kart.

This is pretty accurate in hindsight I think, DKCTF isn't a bad game but it's not what the Wii U needed - another platformer.

I think NSMB2 was a big mistake to. The 3DS was doing fine at that time and I think NSMBU would have benefitted the Wii U being the first new 2D Mario since the Wii one (in 2008?).

Metoird and Starfox are much smaller franchises but they would have helped move more HW imo, at least short term.

NSMB2 and DKCTF are welcome additions to each console but its seems they were the wrong games at the wrong time.

How vita is doing now compared to gamecube and ps3 in the same time frame?

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Expected, from DK. Vita still decent. Will it outsell 3DS with moderate SW releases? 360 still owning.

small44 said:

PS3 was about 2.8m according to VGChartz

GCN was 3.8m as of March 31 2005 (Nintendo Financial Report 05). So thats with an extra month and a half.

Around the Network

Wow, nine of the Top Ten are on Nintendo consoles. Even if eight out of those nine are 3DS titles, that's still huge. Kirby and DQ both held pretty well, too. Kirby, surprisingly, is actually holding really well...

DKC:TF nearly flops. Although, if the legs aren't good at all, then I would say it's a full on flop.

Hardware sales are pretty dismal all around. A #1 number of 39k is... odd.

How does Pikmin sell nearly 100k FW and boost Wii U over 20k then Donkey Kong does 40k and no boost?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

This isn't the fault of EAD or Retro or Platinum Games ... they are delivering good content ... Nintendo's management has f*cked this console up so badly beyond repair from day 1. Mario Kart 8 is doing nothing but providing a temporary boost and then will probably end up being the lowest selling console Mario Kart.

The lowest selling Mario Kart is at 5.4 Million and was the first Mario Kart on a Handheld. You really think it'll manage to do that "badly"? (In comparison, Double Dash sold over 6 Million.)

Although I agree, Nintendo made the Wii U nearly toxic. They are going to have to put a lot of elbow grease into this thing if they want 25 Million + consoles to be sold.

NintendoPie said:
Soundwave said:

The lowest selling Mario Kart is at 5.4 Million and was the first Mario Kart on a Handheld. You really think it'll manage to do that "badly"? (In comparison, Double Dash sold over 6 Million.)

Although I agree, Nintendo made the Wii U nearly toxic. They are going to have to put a lot of elbow grease into this thing if they want 25 Million + consoles to be sold.

The WII U is pretty much dead in it's tracks sooo yeah ? 

retroking1981 said:
small44 said:

PS3 was about 2.8m according to VGChartz

GCN was 3.8m as of March 31 2005 (Nintendo Financial Report 05). So thats with an extra month and a half.

My bad thats wrong for GCN, I should have looked at the 2004 report.

It was at 3.46m as of March 31 2004 - wow that had a really poor 04/05 in Japan!

It also launched in September compared to December for the Vita so thats an extra 4 and a half months on the market.