By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Generation 9 is already won for Nintendo

KingdomHeartsFan said:
padib said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Even if Nintendo did dedicate all their dev power to one console they wouldn't even be able to put out 1 game a month, while the PS5 and X2 are getting multiple games a month.  Also you have to take into consideration with this format each game is gonna require more effort as Nintendo has to make 2 versions of each game.

@bold. Exactly the opposite. They will only have to make 1 version of each game, the API takes care of making it crossplatform (like Unity).

Oh didn't know that, even so I'd say making a powerhouse console on par with PS5/X2 would be a better option.  Have the portable with the console gimmick if they really want, but let it be OPTIONAL and not take away resources from the console like the tablet did with the Wii U.

The last 3 console generations show that even if Nintendo has the most powerful hardware (N64) or is the market leader (Wii) they wont get 3rd party support, or if it does get solid 3rd party support (GC) they will sell less than the comp in most cases.

They have also shown that they have a hard time supporting 2 platforms simultaniously and have suffered 1st party game droughts on numerous occassions. N64/GC were known for this and In more recent years Wii/3DS/Wii U have suffered from It as well.

By releasing a home and handheld console that play all the same games they essentially double the amount of games they can make. No longer will there need to be 2 seperate version of Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/Smash/DK/Kart/etc. which in turn opens the door for making new Ip and reviving old Ip as well.

This type of strategy essentially kills off any need for 3rd party support since Nintendo will be able to make games to support It on their own. Of course 3rd parties will still be able to make games for It and since It has the handheld version games like Dragon Quest/Monster Hunter will still be on It. Companies like Sega/Namco/Capcom/Altus/Platinum are currently on good terms with Nintendo so no reason why they wouldnt support It.

Nintendo just needs to make affordable hardware sold at a profit with a steady stream of high quality software and they will be fine regardless if there in first place or not.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I like where Nintendo is going with this unified hybrid, but will this mean that they'll win gen 9? No. We don't know what Sony and MS will do a gen from now, we don't know if Apple or Samsung or Google will make a competing platform.

3rd party support is essential to win a gen, and if Nintendo swamps their hybrid console with their own games, there will be no room for 3rd parties...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Sounds cool, but it could easily backfire. But at least the idea on paper sounds promising.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Putin said:
spemanig said:
Putin said:
So, technicaly, I don't need WiiU if I have 3ds or vice versa? So instead of selling 2 consoles, they will sell only one. How's that profitable? Or it's thier sneaky way to run away from home console market? And if you have same games, you need two systems that are near equal in power. iOS games doesn't have diff specs on one phone or pad, they just lags and stutter if your Apple device is old. So they must create games in diff specs for them to use systems to full potential.

Not quite. The whole idea is to emulate the relationship that the iPhone has with the iPad, or as a better comparison, that the iPhone would have with a Mac Desktop if it ran on iOS. There is a very clear benefit to owning both indevitually, but they have clear synergy when owned together.

You do understand that phone or desktop PC is not game consoles? They where talking about games that plays on any console with that OS. Now games require hardware, it's not videos or songs that you can run anywhere.

...I know. But it's the same idea and it works for game consoles.

Putin said:
Gnac said:
Putin said:
Dunno what you mean man. If this is about 3ds/wiiU, I used them as example.

This doesn't concern generation 8 machines, so it's a bad example.

Do you see?

How is it bad if that's what they want, to have same OS in thier consoles, handheld or home. I can use vita-PS4 for example or any other consoles from same maker in one generation. If they play same games, why would you need 2 of them??

Only two? Nintendo have been working on an open-source OS since 2006 (I imagine it would be no problem to create a closed fork for their own purposes). It's fitting that the project happens to be hosted by a corporation which also has a rather successful component-based OS, that sets the baseline for (third-party) hardware to run it.

Of course, I am speculating wildly with very little information to go on, as are you.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network
Putin said:
spemanig said:
Putin said:
So, technicaly, I don't need WiiU if I have 3ds or vice versa? So instead of selling 2 consoles, they will sell only one. How's that profitable? Or it's thier sneaky way to run away from home console market? And if you have same games, you need two systems that are near equal in power. iOS games doesn't have diff specs on one phone or pad, they just lags and stutter if your Apple device is old. So they must create games in diff specs for them to use systems to full potential.

Not quite. The whole idea is to emulate the relationship that the iPhone has with the iPad, or as a better comparison, that the iPhone would have with a Mac Desktop if it ran on iOS. There is a very clear benefit to owning both indevitually, but they have clear synergy when owned together.

You do understand that phone or desktop PC is not game consoles? They where talking about games that plays on any console with that OS. Now games require hardware, it's not videos or songs that you can run anywhere.

Think of it as the Vita/Vita TV, they are the same hardware just one is portable and one is home. By making 2 platforms that play the same games it essentialy doubles the amount of games Nintendo can make for them simce they dont have to worry about making 2 seperate versions of all there franchises. U can buy either the home version or the portable version or both. For example

Nintendo Fusion Home w/Motion Plus-$150

Nintendo Fusion Home w/Pro Controller-$150

Nintendo Fusion Portable-$150

Nintendo Fusion+Portable-$250

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

That's clear enough, right?

Can someone link me to the announcements, I've missed them.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

You´re getting way ahead of yourself here.There are many unknown variables that might happen, especially in such an unpredictable industry.

the eighth generation has just begun and already someone is claiming the ninth generation is "already won".

Ah well, I guess all consoles have delusional fans, even Nintendo.