By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Generation 9 is already won for Nintendo

That's...really optimistic...but maybe. Then again, maybe they'll be in a league of their own. Such a unique experience that it doesn't compete with the rest of the gaming industry at all...I've thought about it before. You've got the HD twins and you've got Nintendo, they're two totally different sides of gaming already. If it turns out like that, you can't really say they won since they didn't really compete. They win at their own game instead.

Around the Network
Putin said:
So, technicaly, I don't need WiiU if I have 3ds or vice versa? So instead of selling 2 consoles, they will sell only one. How's that profitable? Or it's thier sneaky way to run away from home console market? And if you have same games, you need two systems that are near equal in power. iOS games doesn't have diff specs on one phone or pad, they just lags and stutter if your Apple device is old. So they must create games in diff specs for them to use systems to full potential.

WOW.

Usually, people read only the thread title, then skip the first post in a rush to smash out a prepared opinion, but you seem to have skimmed over the thread title too.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Dunno what you mean man. If this is about 3ds/wiiU, I used them as example.

Putin said:

This doesn't concern generation 8 machines, so it's a bad example.

Do you see?

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Sony hasn't even won the 8th generation yet, and you're already stating this?

Around the Network

I think there needs to be greater emphasis on exactly how big some of this news is.

The platform unification is the biggest thing. Basically, Nintendo's "platform" is no longer going to be the Wii U and 3DS, but rather Nintendo Network. Nintendo's "platform" is in the operating system, not the hardware. Basically, it's like with the relationship between the iPhone and the iPad. The are two related divides working on nearly identical software. iOS. With that, you aren't attached to your iPhone, but to your Apple ID. When you upgrade devices, everything transfers over, so there's no rush to upgrade, and there's no fear of loosing your installed base, because your installed base is not the Wii U and 3DS, it's Nintendo Network and it's NNID. It's literally a fail safe. And a clever one.

Why this is genius is because if they release the successor to the Wii U/3DS sooner than we expect, it basically eliminates backlash. Because everything will transfer over anyway, it's basically taken in the same way as upgrading your phone. The hardware itself doesn't matter. It's the OS you're purchasing. The hardware just happens to run it. Now, the same way all your apps and music will transfer over when upgrading to the next iPhone, they want to instill that same feeling when upgrading Nintendo hardware. You're just transferring you NNID and all of your games onto newer hardware. Everything is backwards compatible. And since everything will grow digital, there will be a bigger attach rate to upgraded hardware.

This also finally brings the reason for the gamepad to light. It has nothing to do with casuals or tablet gaming. It's much simpler than that. Platform uniformity. Everything you can do on the DS, you should be able to do on the Wii U and 3DS and every new system onwards. It has to be that way, or else this whole OS thing doesn't work. Everything must work on the same hardware and be able to jump between. That doesn't work when your home console is missing fundamental hardware like the second touch screen.

It also confirms that the gamepad is never leaving the Wii U, and that it's guaranteed on it's successor. Every new Nintendo console will have a tablet, and every new handheld will have two screens and they will all be upgrades to the original DS. They will all be backward comparable with one another for the most part, and eventually, they will all be digital.

They are already trying to make digital seem like the more economic option with the whole idea behind Steam. I do commend them for being different with how they do it, but the idea is still the same, and the idea is still brilliant.

The Wii U wasn't copying the Wii, it was copying the more successful DS.

Gnac said:
Putin said:

This doesn't concern generation 8 machines, so it's a bad example.

Do you see?

How is it bad if that's what they want, to have same OS in thier consoles, handheld or home. I can use vita-PS4 for example or any other consoles from same maker in one generation. If they play same games, why would you need 2 of them??

Op very valid and great theory! very believable. But it could do a 180 we dont really know

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Putin said:
So, technicaly, I don't need WiiU if I have 3ds or vice versa? So instead of selling 2 consoles, they will sell only one. How's that profitable? Or it's thier sneaky way to run away from home console market? And if you have same games, you need two systems that are near equal in power. iOS games doesn't have diff specs on one phone or pad, they just lags and stutter if your Apple device is old. So they must create games in diff specs for them to use systems to full potential.

Not quite. The whole idea is to emulate the relationship that the iPhone has with the iPad, or as a better comparison, that the iPhone would have with a Mac Desktop if it ran on iOS. There is a very clear benefit to owning both indevitually, but they have clear synergy when owned together.

spemanig said:
Putin said:

Not quite. The whole idea is to emulate the relationship that the iPhone has with the iPad, or as a better comparison, that the iPhone would have with a Mac Desktop if it ran on iOS. There is a very clear benefit to owning both indevitually, but they have clear synergy when owned together.

You do understand that phone or desktop PC is not game consoles? They where talking about games that plays on any console with that OS. Now games require hardware, it's not videos or songs that you can run anywhere.