By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U 'Quick Boot Update' basically a bait and switch /smoke and mirrors

VitroBahllee said:
sundin13 said:
They already stated that this should be able to cut the time it takes to jump into a game in half (or more)...

I hope everyone realizes that the video is a simulation and not a demonstration...

So they make a simulation... and arbitrarily decide to make it take as long as the Wii U currently takes to boot up, when they could 'simulate' faster load times?

Do you not remember the videos they made showing the faster load times before, when they were preparing to launch their major OS update? Two side by side consoles, loading into NSMB U? They absolutely are showing the exact load time of this, that's the point of the demonstration.

The previous videos were to say "this is our update and how it changes and improves things"

This short video was to say "we will be implimenting a new feature and here is how it works"

Sounds to me like you are complaining for the sake of complaining. Do you honestly think that Nintendo releasing a mediocre simulation video of a good concept that has been stated to cut boot times in half is worth making a thread over?

Just think about it for a second...you just made a thread because you didn't really like a 30second simulation video released during an investors meeting........

yeah....

Around the Network
AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:
AstroGamer said:

No I mean directly shortening the time isn't what Nintendo since it isn't obvious. What Nintendo is showing is shortening the boot time by skipping a certain process since that is obvious

What you're saying makes no sense, conceptually or grammatically. 

Here's an analogy. You are trying to get to a certain place so you run. You can either pick up the pace or you can cut across a park to your destination. Which will shorten your trip by a decent amount no matter what? Cutting across the park. If you try speeding up, it may be faster but you can't easily tell unless you have a stopwatch but cutting across the park reduces the total distance by a decent chunk.

Alright, I think I see the comparison you're trying to make. My point is just that the video reveals the actual boot time of the system and game isn't any shorter, they've just put the game selection at the front. If you were sitting there with the controller and clicked the game as it came up on the prexisting menu, it wouldn't take any less time than what they've shown in the video. So the only way this could save you time is if you clicked the game you wanted and set the controller down and walked away from it, which would make no sense if you were trying to get the game started ASAP anyway, as you would be holding the controler and ready to game.

I finally see your argument, and I guess all I'm saying is that it holds no water in 99% of real life situations, based on the visual demonstration.

VitroBahllee said:
sundin13 said:
They already stated that this should be able to cut the time it takes to jump into a game in half (or more)...

I hope everyone realizes that the video is a simulation and not a demonstration...

So they make a simulation... and arbitrarily decide to make it take as long as the Wii U currently takes to boot up, when they could 'simulate' faster load times?

Do you not remember the videos they made showing the faster load times before, when they were preparing to launch their major OS update? Two side by side consoles, loading into NSMB U? They absolutely are showing the exact load time of this, that's the point of the demonstration.

I think you're failing to understand something.  The point of the feature is to start a game as soon as the OS loads.  This means you don't have to wait for the OS to load normally, pick your user, then select the game from the OS once it has loaded up.  This makes it faster, not "look like" it's faster.  The load times may be the same, but since you're navigating less it cuts down on time by more than you think.

sundin13 said:
VitroBahllee said:
sundin13 said:

The previous videos were to say "this is our update and how it changes and improves things"

This short video was to say "we will be implimenting a new feature and here is how it works"

Sounds to me like you are complaining for the sake of complaining. Do you honestly think that Nintendo releasing a mediocre simulation video of a good concept that has been stated to cut boot times in half is worth making a thread over?

Just think about it for a second...you just made a thread because you didn't really like a 30second simulation video released during an investors meeting........

yeah....

You seem desperate to be pleased by something that seems to hold no value. This 'feature' is the software equivalent of a crosswalk button that doesn't actually do anything, and you are surprised I'm weirded out by it. Trying to call me out for being pathetic for making this thread doesn't magically make it a wonderful feature. I'm really shocked by how defensive hardcore Nintendo fans are. I mean during the Wii phase when the Wii was constantly mocked I was just like you. But it didn't really benefit me in any way to act like I was the message board defense lawyer for Nintendo. Now that I'm encountering this same sort of talk from people who think I don't own a Wii U (or why else would I have anything bad to say) or people trying to insult me for merely pointing out that this isn't actually a helpful update, I realize how ridiculous I must have seemed back in 2007-2008 when I did that to other people.

MDMAlliance said:
VitroBahllee said:
sundin13 said:

I think you're failing to understand something.  The point of the feature is to start a game as soon as the OS loads.  This means you don't have to wait for the OS to load normally, pick your user, then select the game from the OS once it has loaded up.  This makes it faster, not "look like" it's faster.  The load times may be the same, but since you're navigating less it cuts down on time by more than you think.

You just spelled out exactly what YOU don't understand.

Normally, the system boots up, you choose your Mii, your game icons appear, and the system goes into the game.

With this, your game icons appear, you choose your mii, the system boots up, and then goes into the game.

The only difference is the order of events. The time needed for each of them to occur is exactly the same.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
ListerOfSmeg said:

Had that been the only thing shown you would have a valid point.

Okay so you do not own a Wii U and this has no impact on you in any way, yet you had to make a thread about it to complain and blowing it out of propertion as if it was the only announcement. All I can say is keep the hate alive

I absolutely own a Wii U and have had it since launch day. I am complaining about this because I don't see the point of even implementing this feature. I got excited when I saw they were implementing a 'quick boot' feature and then I got disappointed when I realized it wasn't any faster.

Why would you assume I don't have a Wii U because of my complaint? Do I have to be unable to admit being unimpressed with something Nintendo does to be a cardcarrying Wii U owner?

Some users are unable to express dislike with anything there favourite company does, even when everyone else is. But I don't own a WiiU so this doesn't concern me.

VitroBahllee said:
MDMAlliance said:

Normally, the system boots up, you choose your Mii, your game icons appear, and the system goes into the game.

With this, your game icons appear, you choose your mii, the system boots up, and then goes into the game.

The only difference is the order of events. The time needed for each of them to occur is exactly the same.

No, you're missing out on something here.  The actually OS has to be booted up in the normal way.  The way in the video completely skips that step.

You boot the Wii U.  It loads up the OS, you pick your Mii, it loads the Miiverse + icons you can pick from including the game you have in.  In the video, you pick the game, your mii, and it loads up all the functions it needs to run afterwards and then runs the game immediately afterwards.  

You see the step that's missing now, right?

Yet Iwata has stated that the feature will cut boot times by over 50%...I don't see how you aren't comprehending this @.@

MDMAlliance said:
VitroBahllee said:
MDMAlliance said:

No, you're missing out on something here.  The actually OS has to be booted up in the normal way.  The way in the video completely skips that step.

You boot the Wii U.  It loads up the OS, you pick your Mii, it loads the Miiverse + icons you can pick from including the game you have in.  In the video, you pick the game, your mii, and it loads up all the functions it needs to run afterwards and then runs the game immediately afterwards.  

You see the step that's missing now, right?

In theory - but I just hit the button on my Wii U at the same time as in the video and then pressed 'start' on a game icon as soon as that came up, and then did the whole process again for good measure. The game in the simulation was running LESS THAN FIVE SECONDS faster in the video than it was on my Wii U. What's the big deal with this? Showing off ANYTHING else would have been better.

N64 for VC. GBA for 3DS VC. I don't know. Not showing it at all would have been better, as giving me five extra seconds if I boot up in a different order seems like they are just trying to come up with something positive for the sake of something positive. It suggests they have hit a brick wall with the OS load speed and they're looking to do anything they can to come up with the promised improvements.

I'm okay with the Wii U OS being so spartan, but I would like it to work faster if it's going to be so spartan. If it's not actually going to work faster, then don't change the order of things around to save 5 seconds and call it 'Quick Boot.' Hell, calling it 'Quick Launch' for games would have made it more palatable, but acting like this is the earlier promised speed enhancements just rankles.

sundin13 said:
Yet Iwata has stated that the feature will cut boot times by over 50%...I don't see how you aren't comprehending this @.@

Iwata said the vitality sensor would be out in 2010 and that they would sell 9 million Wii U's in FY 2013 too. I'm just not understanding why, if he is confident in that, the mockup video showed the pace it did. My most logical guess is that they know that this is the speed it will run at, and the '50%' line is based on 'internal testing' of 'how long it takes people to select a menu item once the system is loaded.

If they are confident that it will take 'over 50%' of the load times off the actual system and not just the user process of events, why would they choose to represent this amazing improvement via such a conservative video in which the load times are only about five seconds shorter? And as I said above, I tested repeatedly with my own Wii U console and the video to arrive at this figure.