By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U 'Quick Boot Update' basically a bait and switch /smoke and mirrors

VitroBahllee said:
JoeTheBro said:
Looked fast enough to me.

I'm just saying: I own a Wii, and that's no faster than it loads now. It's just in a different order. It gives the user the impression they are in control earlier, then takes the same amount of time to load.

It's like buttons at crosswalks that don't really do anything - it gives an illusion to someone who isn't thinking about it very closely.

Some times appereance is more important than reallity. I read a story once, about some engineers that had a problem with the speed of 2 elevators, they did not know how to fix the issue, they could not increase the speed or people will get motion sickness, and they could not add a 3rd one, cause it was impossible, the solution was to add mirrors on the halls and inside the elevators, the elevators took the same amount of time reaching their destination, but now people had something to do while waiting, so they stop complaining about the speed, because they felt it had improved.

Around the Network

not bad

VitroBahllee said:
AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:

What the heck does your post even mean?

They just presented this video at the investor meeting as a new 'quick boot' feature.

My post means that booting into a game faster isn't something you are going to advertise, you put it in the update notes. This quick boot just skips the miiverse plaza. If you directly compared the booting times, its likely that the time from pressing power is shorter in the quick boot mode

They thought it was so important of a point that they showed it at their investor's meeting to try to impress investors.  Do you understand the context of this video? They thought it was so impressive that it would placate angry investors.

No I mean directly shortening the time isn't what Nintendo since it isn't obvious. What Nintendo is showing is shortening the boot time by skipping a certain process since that is obvious

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:
AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:

They just presented this video at the investor meeting as a new 'quick boot' feature.

My post means that booting into a game faster isn't something you are going to advertise, you put it in the update notes. This quick boot just skips the miiverse plaza. If you directly compared the booting times, its likely that the time from pressing power is shorter in the quick boot mode

They thought it was so important of a point that they showed it at their investor's meeting to try to impress investors.  Do you understand the context of this video? They thought it was so impressive that it would placate angry investors.

No I mean directly shortening the time isn't what Nintendo since it isn't obvious. What Nintendo is showing is shortening the boot time by skipping a certain process since that is obvious

What you're saying makes no sense, conceptually or grammatically. 

VitroBahllee said:
AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:

Had that been the only thing shown you would have a valid point.

Okay so you do not own a Wii U and this has no impact on you in any way, yet you had to make a thread about it to complain and blowing it out of propertion as if it was the only announcement. All I can say is keep the hate alive.

Around the Network

if this continues to be your biggest gripe about wii-u, then I think you'll be doing just fine :)

ListerOfSmeg said:
VitroBahllee said:
AstroGamer said:
VitroBahllee said:

Had that been the only thing shown you would have a valid point.

Okay so you do not own a Wii U and this has no impact on you in any way, yet you had to make a thread about it to complain and blowing it out of propertion as if it was the only announcement. All I can say is keep the hate alive.

I absolutely own a Wii U and have had it since launch day. I am complaining about this because I don't see the point of even implementing this feature. I got excited when I saw they were implementing a 'quick boot' feature and then I got disappointed when I realized it wasn't any faster.

Why would you assume I don't have a Wii U because of my complaint? Do I have to be unable to admit being unimpressed with something Nintendo does to be a cardcarrying Wii U owner?

flagstaad said:

Some times appereance is more important than reallity. I read a story once, about some engineers that had a problem with the speed of 2 elevators, they did not know how to fix the issue, they could not increase the speed or people will get motion sickness, and they could not add a 3rd one, cause it was impossible, the solution was to add mirrors on the halls and inside the elevators, the elevators took the same amount of time reaching their destination, but now people had something to do while waiting, so they stop complaining about the speed, because they felt it had improved.

This is true - from an engineering standpoint it might cause a psychological effect in some people. But I will not be one of those people because I can tell it's having no effect from the get go, hence no placebo benefit for me.

They already stated that this should be able to cut the time it takes to jump into a game in half (or more)...

I hope everyone realizes that the video is a simulation and not a demonstration...

sundin13 said:
They already stated that this should be able to cut the time it takes to jump into a game in half (or more)...

I hope everyone realizes that the video is a simulation and not a demonstration...

So they make a simulation... and arbitrarily decide to make it take as long as the Wii U currently takes to boot up, when they could 'simulate' faster load times?

Do you not remember the videos they made showing the faster load times before, when they were preparing to launch their major OS update? Two side by side consoles, loading into NSMB U? They absolutely are showing the exact load time of this, that's the point of the demonstration.

VitroBahllee said:
AstroGamer said:

What you're saying makes no sense, conceptually or grammatically. 

Here's an analogy. You are trying to get to a certain place so you run. You can either pick up the pace or you can cut across a park to your destination. Which will shorten your trip by a decent amount no matter what? Cutting across the park. If you try speeding up, it may be faster but you can't easily tell unless you have a stopwatch but cutting across the park reduces the total distance by a decent chunk.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842