By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Convince me to buy a Wii U

If you already have a console to play third party, than there is no excuse for not having one.

You will have acess to nintendo franchises in HD, all of Wii library and the best local multiplayers. The game pad is awesome, remote play is really handy and being able to use inventory/map without pause allow you to keep the immersion (ZombiU freaked me out with this).

Around the Network

Me and my GF have decided to get a Wii U. I am going to list the reasons we have made this decision and how important they are. I consider myself a core gamer, I play any and every genre of games and have no issue spending money on games and systems if I consider them as worth it. My GF falls somewhere between casual and core, she loves open world games, RPGs, and platformers.

1 Great bundles (it was not a deciding factor but is a good welcome back to Nintendo)
2 Free online (critical, I will not pay for online on a secondary console)
3 Off TV Play (important, I enjoy playing undemanding games while lying down sometimes)
4 I miss games from my childhood (probably the most important thing)
5 GF loves Pokemon (she saw a Pokemon game and was like "I want it" lol)
6 I am interested in the touch screen aspects of the controller (important, it gives me something different vs my PS3/PS4)
7 Plays Wii games (important, I can play some of the better Wii games I missed)
8 299$ (very important, if it was 399$ I would probably not get it even if it was as powerful as a PS4)
9 Nintendo supports local coop when possible (important, I want to play games with my GF more)
10 News it will play DS games (unimportant, but I will be buying some DS games for it, I guarantee it)
11 It seems the Wii U is picking up its pace software wise (important, I would not want to buy a "dead" system)

These are the things that matter to me and why the Wii U is interesting and worth a buy in my opinion. This will be my first Nintendo console since the N64. (for the record N64>PS1 lol) I will have it in 2-3 weeks I imagine.

If anyone has any Wii/DS game suggestions I am listening. For the Wii U I will be getting New Super Mario U and Luigi U, Zelda Wind Waker HD, and Pikmin 3 to start off and I will get more over time. Thanks for your help everybody

EDIT:

My GF is making a list of Pokemon games she wants lol (games she like years ago and newer ones)

EDIT 2:

My GF wants to know why more Pokemon games are not on virtual console/eshop. She wants to buy some for the Wii U. (She is mainly talking about GB-GBC and Gamecube ones (she had a Gamecube)

rolltide101x said:

If anyone has any Wii/DS game suggestions I am listening. For the Wii U I will be getting New Super Mario U and Luigi U, Zelda Wind Waker HD, and Pikmin 3 to start off and I will get more over time. Thanks for your help everybody

What genres do the two of you prefer? I'll stay away from 2D platformers, since you'll have your share for now. Some of the better titles that you can't get on other systems are Trauma Team (Wii), a medical simulation game that makes extensive and excellent use of the Wiimote; Elite Beat Agents (DS), a top-tier rhythm game; Xenoblade (Wii) if you're at all into JRPGs; the Ace Attorney games (DS/WiiWare), some really fun and goofy visual novels; Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) if you have a pulse; and House of the Dead/Overkill/LA Machineguns/other Sega lightgun games (Wii), for good ol' fashion arcade shootin'.

Also, regarding the lack of VC Pokemon games, I suspect it's mostly because they can get way more money just remaking them! I don't think any of the mainline games were released in any region. Strangely, most of the spinoffs have likewise been MIA (or else Pokemon Pinball would totally be mine!).

reggin_bolas said:
If the price tag was $199 and it came with the pro controller, not that awkward touchpad it would be a much easier sell.

Can you read? He said Nintendo fans convince him not anti Nintendo gamers.

The Gamepad is honestly a luxury at times. Feels nice to play with and has many perks that the other console controllers simply don't have.

I'd say there's no point in waiting; a price drop isn't in the cards, Iwata stated this at the last investors meeting. Nintendo also has plans to make games that fully utilize the Gamepad- even I can admit not many game take full advantage but to be honest not every game needs to.

The first party software to date has been great and is only set to become even better. NSMBU, Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, The Wonderful 101, Lego City Undercover and Nintendo Land are all must haves. They certainly don't fit the "mature theme" that other console exclusives go for but they are all very enjoyable.

If I were you I'd buy one now, just so you can go through some of the first party exclusives I've mentioned before anything else comes out.

In terms of future games, you have DK Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, X, Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors and many more coming out this year.

The built in social netword, MIiverse is a blast to use, and interacting with other WiiU owners is really nice, and there's no incessant profanity :D

Oh, and Indie games! Lots of Indie games! Granted they arent the AA indie games that you find on PS4 or Xbox One but they are good drop in and play to kill a bit of time kind of Indie games.

So yeah.. buy a WiiU.. and Add me if you do!

Honestly, 250 for the system is incredible.

Around the Network

Well the simple answer is this, the Wii U like the Wii has a ton of games that apeal to the female gamer.  The Wii had 80% of the female market share last gen if I remember correctly.  My wife and daughter love the Wii/Wii U even more than tablets and PC games they already have.  There is a lot to like for male gamers as  well, Ubisoft titles, Monster Hunter, and  so on.  It is cheap and keeps your significant other very happy and interested in gaming, plus it is a nice respectable system (with most of the bugs ironed out now).  I tend to be the only one playing the mature/hardcore Steam Machine we have, but still enjoy the Wii U.  Graphically it is no PS4 or PC... but then agian it is no slouch either, games like Splinter Cell Blacklist look and play great on it.  And it is cheap, mighty cheap compared to the alternatives, I hooked up a USB HDD for peanuts and download all titles from the eshop, no fuss, no hard drive upgrades, just plug one in.

I don't use the gamepad for all games, but it is a very decent controller and the touch screen for maps, inventory switching, taking the game to the bathroom and so on are just great features.

the Zelda bundle seems to be the right choice for you, Wind waker HD is amazing
plus you can get now old games for really cheap like AC3, Batman, NFS, ZombiU....
with 400$ you will fill your gaming needs for a loooong time, until MK8 arrives

New Super Mario Bros U is a great platformer. I wouldn't say it's special though.

Super Mario 3D World is WiiU defining if you ask me so that would be a must buy. Then there is Wind Waker HD if you never played the original. Even so, I hear it's a must buy.

Then there is also Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 which I don't know anything about.

Finally there are upcoming games. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, X, and Super Smash Bros all look great.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

alone Mario Kart is it worth to buy it. And you also get Super Mario 3D world, Donkey Kong, Super Smashbros, X and many more. Its a very cool gaming feeling in my opinion

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

Don't know about convincing you, but I haven't regretted purchasing it. I get a little down when I go reading on the internetz but then I just go play it and feel good about it again. The exclusives are genuinely great and local multiplayer with your gf in 3DWorld and especially Pikmin bingo battle will keep you entertained.