By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Convince me to buy a Wii U

rolltide101x said:
sundin13 said:
Like I always say in these threads, look up the games list (upcoming and released) and if you like what you see, go for it. Its hard to say no with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 3D World, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101

Though I am interested in the Mario series, Zelda, Pikmin, and DK I just can not get myself over the edge. One more price drop may do it. I have (somewhat) buyers remorse over getting a PSVita. I want more Indies!

I think Remote Play to my PS4 along with its Indies collection along with a few AAA games will make it pay off over the next few years.

I'm like you, on the edge. My issue is that I want the Mario/Luigi bundle, and if you know anything about bundles, you know that they're only around for so long. Sooner or later, the bundles are going to either change to something you don't want/like, or they're going to be gone forever. So there's this inner clock inside of me telling me I need to just go splurge now before I regret it, but I just can't do it. Something is holding me back. lol

Around the Network
cannonballZ said:
rolltide101x said:
I think the biggest thing that could take me over the edge is truly convincing me that the Wii U gamepad is fun and interesting

It does make a game better when utilized properly. 

Mass Effect 3- You can map out your partners abilities to touch screen buttons and have them use magic a bit quicker than just using the shoulder buttons. 

Splinter Cell Blacklist- Weapons can be mapped to touchscreens buttons as well making switching weapons and gadgets much quicker and also helps keep track of ammo and inventory

ACIV Black Flag- You can set the entire HUD on the gamepad and have full screen view, other games do this as well. Also the mini map on the gamepad is superior to the mini map on screen. You can zoom in and out and shows more detail in cities.

Resident Evil Revelations- I use both gamepad and pro controller on this game and prefer the gamepad. switching weapons and keeping track of inventory is much easier.

Off tv play is awesome, gamepad screen is 720p, games look great on it. Also you can just use the gamepad as a screen and use your pro controller or wii mote as the main controler input.

Browser on the gamepad is pretty decent too.

I did not know the Gamepad was 720p that is AWESOME! lol.

Would I enjoy playing most games on the Gamepad?

Also my GF loves Pokemon (probably shouldve mentioned that too)

prayformojo said:
rolltide101x said:
sundin13 said:
Like I always say in these threads, look up the games list (upcoming and released) and if you like what you see, go for it. Its hard to say no with Mario Kart, Smash Bros, 3D World, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101

Though I am interested in the Mario series, Zelda, Pikmin, and DK I just can not get myself over the edge. One more price drop may do it. I have (somewhat) buyers remorse over getting a PSVita. I want more Indies!

I think Remote Play to my PS4 along with its Indies collection along with a few AAA games will make it pay off over the next few years.

I'm like you, on the edge. My issue is that I want the Mario/Luigi bundle, and if you know anything about bundles, you know that they're only around for so long. Sooner or later, the bundles are going to either change to something you don't want/like, or they're going to be gone forever. So there's this inner clock inside of me telling me I need to just go splurge now before I regret it, but I just can't do it. Something is holding me back. lol

That is exactly how I feel, I want one and I want to get one but a little voice in my head (probably something Sony implanted in my head) is saying "Do not do it"  lol.

rolltide101x said:
impertinence said:
You probably already know what games are out for it and what's coming up, so I will say, the gamepad is cooler than it seems and all the crying about online/graphics/whatever is just that: crying. If you like Nintendo games the Wii U is excellent. And with the dames coming this year it will get progressively more excellent.

Does the Gamepad appeal wear off? Is it used alot in 2D Marios and Zelda? (I know the only Zelda on it is an HD Remake)

If they made a Wii U play 3DS games I would buy it in a heartbeat because I honestly want to play A Link Between Worlds (Link to the Past is one of the greatest games of all time to me) but I can not bring myself to get a 3DS either lol

The gamepad is cool because of what you can do with it, not because of what it adds to most of the games I have played. Keywords are off TV play, hulu and netflix streaming to the pad and an excellent web browsing experience. Best use of the pad in games are Nintendoland as far as I'm concerned, and maybe that weird spin the bottle indie game I haven't bought yet.

rolltide101x said:

I did not know the Gamepad was 720p that is AWESOME! lol.

Would I enjoy playing most games on the Gamepad?

Also my GF loves Pokemon (probably shouldve mentioned that too)

I play on the Gamepad all the time, my GF plays mostly on gamepad only. The Gamepad controls everything just fine and has a built in mic and camera. Display can also be brightened for better picture. 

Wii U has some decent indie games as well some on the way, I am playing Unepic on the gamepad right now.

Around the Network

If you didn't already own a PS4, I would say you should get that first

Since you already have that, I would say you should get a Wii U if

* You are interested in playing games as a family or with friends in the same room

Specifically

Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World

Then if you already have the console, there are a few other games as well as other upcoming games that will continue to be great gaming experiences. Just don't expect a lot of games and especially 3rd party support to be even close to what the PS4 and XBO will get.

Thanks guys, my GF has been reading the thread (and found a Pokemon game for it) and has decided she wants one so it is pretty much decided we are getting one. This will be my first Nintendo console since the N64 (unless you count a DS I bought for my GF).

For the record the games I am probably getting is
WInd Waker HD and New Super Mario U (and Luigi U).

cusman said:

If you didn't already own a PS4, I would say you should get that first

Since you already have that, I would say you should get a Wii U if

* You are interested in playing games as a family or with friends in the same room

Specifically

Nintendo Land and Super Mario 3D World

Then if you already have the console, there are a few other games as well as other upcoming games that will continue to be great gaming experiences. Just don't expect a lot of games and especially 3rd party support to be even close to what the PS4 and XBO will get.

Yeah, as I said earlier given a choice my Sony platforms will always win. This is about Nintendo 1st and 2nd party

Super Mario 3D World!!

History shows that the loser of each gen usually gives out the best promotions/deals to stay relevant.

Given that, WiiU will be more attractive of a buy for niche gamers the more PS4/X1 outsell it :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.