By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: "The Wii U isn't in good shape"

Soundwave said:
trestres said:
Sounds to me as if they are planning to ditch the wii u... in which case... I rather not spell the catastrophe that will be, but it may be their only option.
They can say goodbye to their credibility and probably their role as a hw maker. It may be the best time to sell my Wii U now

Well I think Zelda U, Yarn Yoshi, Bayonetta 2, Animal Crossing U, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. U, Mario Party U, Hyrule Warriors, SMT x Fire Emblem, etc. are all still coming to Wii U, which should take them through much of 2015 at least. 

So I wouldn't throw out the console just yet.

My guess would be that games that Nintendo was thinking about greenlighting for the Wii U for 2016 and beyond however are quietly being pulled though. 

Well I wouldn't say they have been pulled but rather I agree that those greenlighted games won't end up on the Wii U. Perhaps launch games for the next system.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
ListerOfSmeg said:
Wow.. one statement from Neogaf and its not only taken as fact, but people are already spinning this in every possible way they can. Oh well keep spinning it into whatever you want. At the end of the day its meaningless.

It's from Bloomberg (the business site) actually. Just linked to Neogaf because it streamlines the article nicely. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-29/nintendo-plans-1-2-billion-buyback-after-wii-u-flops.html

buying back your shares is common practise. When they low you buy back when they high you sell to make money lol. Microsoft does it all the time. Why you think every other release of windows is shit? Sabbotage to lower the share price then release a good one and value goes up and sell. Well that is my conspiracy theory for the day.

Anfebious said:
Well at least he has acnowledged that the Wii U is flopping hard. That's a start!

Maybe fanboys can finally acknowledge it. 

I wouldn't change the main console and clearly Nintendo probably aren't keen on investing money on a re-design but I would change the gamepad.

1. I would turn it into a very attractive and decent joypad not unlike ps4/xbone but with a small touch screen display. I would put analogue triggers in even if this puts original gamepads at a disadvantage but perhaps remove the near field chip reader. They will just have to use a different control layout for certain games on older gamepads with analogue triggers.

Considering the wii u is weaker than 360 and PS3 in many ways I don't see how it can have a future at a price other than budget.

Whatever happens this is a self-inflicted wound. Nintendo made some utterly stupid decisions and they deserved this failure. The specification to price ratio of wii u at launch was an utter joke. It's fair to say the ps3 and 360 have a far larger selection of technically impressive titles than wii u. For those who argue that the wii u's technically better games will come later I would just make the point that a console released in late 2012 with a fairly high price tag should easily outperform dated consoles from 2005/6 day one. The fact the wii u can't do that shows the utter contempt Nintendo has for its end users.

That said I'm enjoying my wii u but I just feel technically its an utter embarrassment to Nintendo.

Acknowledging there's a serious problem is the first step in rectifying it.

At least there's accountability, but that doesn't change the fact that the company is not in the best position due to sweeping the lack of success of the Wii U under the rug for the past year.

Sure, Nintendo fans will point out the 180 they pulled with the 3DS, but that happened only AFTER they cut $80 off the price, which was a direct move to offset the effect of the PSV entering the market at the same price. I don't think anyone's kidding themselves into thinking the Wii U can see the same turnaround in light of the success of the PS4 and XB1 launches. Not if they're being realistic.

(NTDOY share holder. Comments regarding the financial performance of Nintendo are based upon results; I have zero emotional attachment to the company and its products in this regard so I will never make excuses for the company as long as they cost me money.)

Around the Network

I'm amazed he took so much time to realize this...

trestres said:
Sounds to me as if they are planning to ditch the wii u... in which case... I rather not spell the catastrophe that will be, but it may be their only option.
They can say goodbye to their credibility and probably their role as a hw maker. It may be the best time to sell my Wii U now

If they ditch the WiiU it might be the best to keep the device. Think how cult now is the Dreamcast. I would kill to get one (well, not that drastic, but nearly). If they ditch the WiiU I might consider buying a second one, just to have a replacement in the case it breaks down.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

reggin_bolas said:
To all of you who say they should "ride it out" should they continue to hemorrhage money off this thing? It probably needs to be dumped to 199 price tag level to generate any kind of sales momentum. But at that point, Nintendo will lose so much money per console sold.

The best thing is to tap into that huge cash reserve and start R&D on a console ready for launch in 2016 at the earliest.

What other grand strategy do you propose?

I can see them doing the same as Sony does with Vita: no pricedrop to avoid bleeding more money, cheaper model, don't invest big in games, but do enough to keep the console supported, with smaller titles.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
trestres said:

If they ditch the WiiU it might be the best to keep the device. Think how cult now is the Dreamcast. I would kill to get one (well, not that drastic, but nearly). If they ditch the WiiU I might consider buying a second one, just to have a replacement in the case it breaks down.

Dreamcasts are really cheap, they only cost like 40 bucks. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Viper1 said:
AZWification said:

Words don't mean a damn thing. Actions do.

The first step to taking action is admiting action needs to be taken.

Viper1 ≥ John Pym