By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Sales Jan 20 - Jan 26

TERRIBLE! Wow,

People need to realize the Wii U will only sell well during 4 weeks of the year (Holidays). And that's about it.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

Dang, this is worse than I would have imagined.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Pretty darn horrific really all round. I doubt even the PS4 will do well.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

I agree with this. I think it will have a decent launch week (250k + perhaps) but won't have earth shattering lifetime sales. Like I've said before; I'll be shocked if any home console gets close to the 10 million mark in the 8th gen, just can't see it happening. The PS4 doesn't have the problem of being situated too close to the mobile/tablet market, but it has another one; the PS brand has turned increasingly into a Western centric product and the software on it the same, even from the Japanese developers.

Japan will, simply put, be rather boring for all of us in the 8th generation of consoles.

Mummelmann said:
Conegamer said:

I agree with this. I think it will have a decent launch week (250k + perhaps) but won't have earth shattering lifetime sales. Like I've said before; I'll be shocked if any home console gets close to the 10 million mark in the 8th gen, just can't see it happening. The PS4 doesn't have the problem of being situated too close to the mobile/tablet market, but it has another one; the PS brand has turned increasingly into a Western centric product and the software on it the same, even from the Japanese developers.

Japan will, simply put, be rather boring for all of us in the 8th generation of consoles.

Damn, I don't like the long-term bets, cause I have no idea where I will be, you will be, or vgchartz will be in 6 years, but I'm really tempted to offer you a bet that PS4 will pass 10million mark in Japan lifetime...

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

Around the Network

With Montser Hunter 4 Ultimate announced, and another Pokemon (there's always something) eventually coming, the 3DS future looks fine. If Nintendo can at least stablize itself at 40K+ in Japan for a while I'd say that's not bad, until the big games come along.

I see numbers are pretty low for everyone. Those trying to say that only specific ones are low aren't seeing that 3DS is certainly lower than it was last year for weekly. It could go back up again, but that doesn't change the fact that everything seems low this week. So Wii U being low isn't any surprise.

Genuine question...

How and why is 3DS losing 3rd party support?

It doesn't really make sense, I mean I totally understand them not supporting Wii U, just look at the sales. 3DS on the other hand has been selling very well and has only sold about half DS LT sales, to give up now seems a bit short sighted.

If this is true then Nintendo must be really really bad at 3rd party relations. PS4 and 3DS seem like the perfect platforms to support from a financial perspective. How does Vita make more sense than 3DS to support?

I'm not a fanboy but this makes almost as little sense as Japanese developers dropping PS4 for Wii U to me - well maybe not but even still.

I think the problem is that in the past handhelds were the casual option for playing videogames. After mobile gaming handhelds are as "hardcore" as home consoles, they have lost completely the nintendogs/ Brain age crowd.

eFKac said:
Mummelmann said:
Conegamer said:

Damn, I don't like the long-term bets, cause I have no idea where I will be, you will be, or vgchartz will be in 6 years, but I'm really tempted to offer you a bet that PS4 will pass 10million mark in Japan lifetime...

Remember, the PS3 is at about 9.8 million Japan and we're all seeing it have a fairly long life over there, it's been out for over seven years in that region and had some pretty great software to boot. Now, I expect the 8th gen to be shorter by a fair bit and the Japanese market is seen to move farher and farther away from home consoles, the Wii has managed about 12.8 million there, which is about 12% of the total lifetime sales, in comparison; the PSP has sold almost 20 million units in Japan despite having a smaller userbase globally by about 20% or so, this is a whole 23-25% of the total lifetime sales in Japan.

The PS2 has sold around 21.5 million in Japan, even with the differenc in global sales between that and the PS3, this is a sign of a downwards trend for home consoles; especially considering the 75% global market share the PS2 had. Home consoles simply aren't a big thing in Japan any longer, especially with the whole market taking such a huge turn towards Western philosophies on design in both hardware and software.

I stand by my statement; no home console will sell 10 million in Japan in the 8th gen, regardless of global userbase.