By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One Owners will have to pay $239.87 a year to play The Elder Scrolls Online

€13 a month? Not a chance I'd be willing to pay that. There's tons of F2P MMO's available, nothing about this game seems to remotely warrant that cost.

Around the Network

For a company to charge $15 a month just to play online is ridiculous, and they should not be charging full retail price for the game either, which I'm sure they're going to be doing anyway.

$60 up front + $15/month or else the game is useless is what people should be pissed about if anything.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

pbroy said:
Would rather have a free to play with cash shop. This is a pass.

Also, why is Bethesda charging monthly for Xbone and at the same price even? Don't devs get free cloud from M$?

My guess would be since Sony and Bethesda are co marketing the game (like the situation with Destiny) they didn't use the cloud.

d21lewis said:
Well every single PS4 owner is gonna have PS+ anyway (I hear they give away free games) so is this a big deal?

The thread could have ended here.

4 ≈ One

MB1025 said:
pbroy said:
Would rather have a free to play with cash shop. This is a pass.
Also, why is Bethesda charging monthly for Xbone and at the same price even? Don't devs get free cloud from M$?

My guess would be since Sony and Bethesda are co marketing the game (like the situation with Destiny) they didn't use the cloud.

Not even that, just that Bethesda needs to be running servers for all platforms. 

Getting cheaper cloud from MS doesn't really counter the hassle of running on a totally different server architecture, provider.

Doing so requires it's own distinct support and technical process/staff, while a single server platform for all user platforms has lower overhead.

The only way it makes sense to take advantage of MS' offer re: free servers for Live Gold is if they use MS' Azure to host ALL platforms, PS4 and PC.

Apparently, MS' product offering isn't attractive enough for them to do so, so they went with the best server solution.

That is the stupidity of MS' hype about free servers, instead of subsidizing the servers for XBone only, they should just offer the best servers, period.

That doesn't achieve an advantage for XBone, but then neither does this, because if only exclusives get any benefit, who cares?,

they are already exclusive, so what does it matter whether they use MS servers or their own or a 3rd party server hosting?

Around the Network

Sub based games....Hate them.

The reason I haven't played FF online is because I don't want to pay for the sub.

Normally I wouldn't bother with a game that is forcing me to purchase it, and then charge a monthly fee to play what I already bought.

But it's the freakin' elder scrolls. ONLINE. Let that sink in.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

lol. If you buy XBLG just to play ESO, you're doing it wrong.

Still, this really puts in perspective just how expensive MMO's are. -_-

shikamaru317 said:
Zekkyou said:

Star Wars's failure came from a lack of content. They were far too ambitious and tried to make content of a quality that isn't remotely sustainable in an MMO.

True, and Zenimax does have a solid post-release content plan for ESO, 20 hours of new content every 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly, plus bigger chunks of new content every few months. If they actually pull that off I'll definitely subscribe.

If they can keep up that pace of content they should be fine. SE have been running with a similar strategy for FF14:ARR, releasing big content patches every few months months (along with little ones ever couple of weeks). I can't really guess how much time worth of stuff was added in 2.1 because a lot of it was progressive content (PvP, beast tribe alliances etc, the kinda stuff that never really ends), along with a load of new unique content (dungeons, raids, primal, you get the idea).

Though i'd bet Titan EX mode added at least 20 hours to that patch ¬______¬

I find it interesting how the OP focus on XBLG as the real problem with Elder Scroll Online, not the fact that you have to pay 14.99 extra per month for one damn game :).