By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony is too cheap, And it's annoying me!

Dead Rising 3 is a first party game considering MS published it.

From Wikipedia: "However, a first-party game is a title which needs only to have been published by the manufacturer of the console (regardless of who owns the IP of the game)[citation needed]. Examples of externally produced first-party games are the Gears of War, Heavy Rain, and Ratchet & Clank series."

Around the Network
gergroy said:
It isnt that sony is too cheap, they just employ a different strategy. Sony has built up their first party so that they dont have buy third party exclusives. Microsoft has a weak firsty party so they have to rely on third parties to fill the gap.

Right now sony is in a weird spot where they have to support three different systems at once. After this year ps3 development will wind down and ps4 titles will start getting pumped out like crazy.

It doesn't feel like there supporting the Vita at all, and PS3 support is pretty much done other than maintaing online service for the system.

A lot of this past thinking kind of annoys me.  Not specifically talking about the OP. but talking about last gen like its this gen?  Sony has two team devs now and MSFT has about double as many first parties as last gen.  From what we know these two will have more games than they did last gen.  And as if there was very many notable games for either ps3/x360 in the last few years beyond Halo and The Last of Us.

There is a few things to take into consideration and if we are all honest about what is really going on we dont need to hide companies faults behinds console war propaganda.

-Sony is in financial trouble
-Microsoft is one of the most profitable companies in the world.
-More games will be announced from both  prior to e3 and during e3.
- More First Party studios than ever before for both

I get a little tired of the downplay between one another but both will be announcing more games soon.  Right now there is games to look forward to like TitanFall, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdive, Plants vs ZOmbies, Infamous, DriveClub, uncharted, Gears, the order, Halo, etc  Then there is multiplats to make this list bigger.  

I do agree that sony's "announced" exclusive lineup is weak but that is my opinion.  Others may love infamous where as im not a fan of the franchise. However about them being cheap?  No, they cant afford it where as MSFT can.  

shikamaru317 said:

Personally I consider it 2nd party, same with Quantum Break on Xbox One, Remedy isn't a first party studio, but neither are they quite 3rd party.

Edit: Wikipedia agrees with me apparently, they have Ready At Dawn listed under 2nd party for Sony Computer Entertainment, alongside Quantic Dream and a few others.

Remedy isnt a first party  but LA Studios is a first party, also working on Quantum Break which makes it a first party game and developed by a 2nd party .

Anybody can edit wikipedia though

Put simply, Sony doesn't need to waste their money on that. They prefer to spend money on developing their own games, which they will see much better return on investment, even if it has lower sales. Of course, given how large the gap will end up being with the One not getting as much support from EU and Japan, and devs wanting to exploit the most powerful console, Sony will be getting plenty of 3rd party exclusives with little to no incentive from them.

Around the Network

Sony: Best multiplats

Microsoft/Nintendo: Best exclusives

Sony just isn't in a good position to spend as much money as MS

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Mr Puggsly said:
DucksUnlimited said:
Mr Puggsly said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sony can make their own games. They've never needed to moneyhat a shit ton of games. Microsoft isn't in their league when it comes to first party development.

Consumers seem to think MS's software is pretty good. As I've mentioned before, MS sold significantly more software in the 7th gen than Sony.

Link?

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=10313&platform=X360&genre=&minSales=0.01&results=100

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=&publisher=1535&platform=PS3&genre=&minSales=0.01&results=200

Thanks, didn't realize you could do it by publisher!

I would've expected a bigger gap, honestly, given the 360's extra year on the market, much higher marketing spending, plus the fact that it had the bigger install base for the vast majority of its life. And even then, without pack-in Kinect Adventures they'd be about even.

Locknuts said:

Metacritic disagrees

DucksUnlimited said:
Locknuts said:

Metacritic disagrees

Hardly any of the games are out yet. I wasn't very specific but I meant it appears that this will be the trend this coming gen.